Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,079 times

Advertisements

I graduated in '08, and most of my class ended up at Univ. of Texas - Austin and Univ. of Houston. A smaller segment ended up at Texas A&M. The Valedictorian went to Rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Back in the dark ages when I was in high school, most of my graduating class went to Texas A&M, UT-Austin and UT Arlington. A few went to Baylor or a few other small privates. I don't think anyone even cared about Ivies.

Both my kids graduated a few years back. Almost everyone went to either OU or OSU, or the University of Central Oklahoma, which is the 3rd largest school in the state and in town. Most kids in Oklahoma don't even consider going out of state. I know of a few that went to the various service academies. One of my son's friends went to Stanford another to Georgetown. My kids both chose to go out of state. One to the University of Arkansas and the other to Texas A&M.

They both knew kids from their old school in Texas that went Ivy League.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

506 posts, read 958,480 times
Most went off to in state colleges. Western WA or Central was a favorite choice among my 08' class that went off to college. A few went to UW and a few to WSU. I think one girl went off to Vassar college (she must have been itching to leave this state, lol). Honestly, I have no clue if anyone went off to any Ivy League school. If they did I didn't know of them.

I am surprised by the amount of people that didn't go to college though. I would say maybe about a third didn't go. There were kids that did good enough in school that never went and ended up living in our small town. If I would have known better, I would have tried more in HS to get out of this small town, haha.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:24 PM

219 posts, read 658,210 times
Most go to the area community college 5 miles away. It jokingly has the name "The High School on the Hill"

My class of 98 people (2010) was like this

75% Community college
5% "world of work" as our school called it
10% A SUNY school
10% Private school (usually in state, sometimes out) Very rarely Ivy

Ivies are very rare here. Last I remember was before I was even in HS, some girl from a nearby town went to Harvard. It was a huge deal. Sounds mean but I remember seeing her house on the local news and thinking "wow that's a pretty dumpy house for a Harvard student" haha, it was true though. Just a random farm girl that worked hard and made it to Harvard somehow. Never found out how she did/is doing, however.

The last few classes have been even more Community college bound.

The past two years are probably more than 90%

It's funny because it's a solid "upper-middle class" to "down right wealthy" area, we just really aren't college snobs here I guess. Lol

Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
Most go to the area community college 5 miles away. It jokingly has the name "The High School on the Hill"

My class of 98 people (2010) was like this

75% Community college
5% "world of work" as our school called it
10% A SUNY school
10% Private school (usually in state, sometimes out) Very rarely Ivy

Ivies are very rare here. Last I remember was before I was even in HS, some girl from a nearby town went to Harvard. It was a huge deal. Sounds mean but I remember seeing her house on the local news and thinking "wow that's a pretty dumpy house for a Harvard student" haha, it was true though. Just a random farm girl that worked hard and made it to Harvard somehow. Never found out how she did/is doing, however.

The last few classes have been even more Community college bound.

The past two years are probably more than 90%

It's funny because it's a solid "upper-middle class" to "down right wealthy" area, we just really aren't college snobs here I guess. Lol
Is it a matter of spending less to go to college by going the community college route first? I wonder how many of those kids end up going on to four year colleges later?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,313 times
I just graduated and most of the class went on to a local college within the state. I would say 50 percent decided on Rutgers (including me), another 20 percent went to other schools such as Maryland, St. John's, Seton Hall, and 20 percent went to the local community college. The other 10 percent either did not go to college or went to an elite school (I know someone who got into Carnegie Mellon and another girl is going to NYU).

Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
A large chunk of my former classmates went off to UC Santa Barbara, Stanford, Fresno State, Chico State, Cal State Stanislaus, UC Davis, or Modesto Junior College.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Brigham Young University, Ricks College, University of Utah. Some ventured out of state...or south to Dixie college.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Most of my classmates went to the University of Idaho. One ultimately graduated from Harvard Law.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:16 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,955 times
Default PA Colleges

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't forget Sheena that PA is somewhat unique when it comes to college. The state system (Clarion, Millersville, Kutztown, etc.) was set up so no resident was more than (I think) 75 miles away from one. Penn State and Pitt also have set up branch campuses in several locations. Add to that the number of private colleges (Grove City, Gettysburg, Lafayette, etc.) and you have a school for almost anyone that wants to go to college.

Even 40 years ago the state colleges had large numbers of commuter students. I was unusual in that I, of the students who graduated with me and went to Clarion, did not commute and was a resident student. As it happened, I graduated and most of them did not. That 20 mile drive got them unfocused.
I graduated from Edinboro State in 1970, and I do remember lots of commuter students. I'm not sure if fewer of them ultimately graduated though. Most of my classmates, if they did go to college (I'd say that fewer than 50 percent of my class did), went to the state colleges, Pitt or Penn State. The community college system was just getting started in PA at that time, and I don't remember anyone going to community colleges. Private business and trade schools also seemed popular at that time for those not getting a 4 year degreee.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities