Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times

Advertisements

What colleges / universities did students from your school generally go to? Were there many who went to Ivy Leagues or schools of prestige, or did most go to state schools and lower-ranked private schools, or not even attend university? Were out-of-state schools common?

I graduated in 2005 in a class of roughly 150, most of whom seemed to go on to some further schooling. I can say that very few students went on to elite universities for their undergraduate degrees, and I don't know of any who are in elite grad schools, but there may be a few. However, I am friends with about half of my class on Facebook.

Most attended school in state, or the next state over. The top schools seemed to be our three local schools - the University of Minnesota - Duluth (UMD), the College of St. Scholastica (CSS), and the University of Wisconsin - Superior (UWS). Some went to the University of Minnesota's flagship campus in Minneapolis; these seemed to be the brighter kids (since UM's requirements are more stringent than UMD's). Others went to other area schools, such as SCSU in St. Cloud, Minnesota and MSU in Mankato. At least one (an intelligent attorney's son) went on to the University of Wisconsin's main campus in Madison.

Many others went to the local community college (Lake Superior College). Some got their generals this way and went on to attend the full-service university of their choice.

I don't know of any who were accepted to the Ivies. If one was, word would probably have spread of it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
In recent years kids from our school are at Harvard, Yale, Cornell, MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Notre Dame, Madison, Duke, several at IT at the U of MN, a few doing Engineering at Purdue, U or IL-Urbana, several at various military academy's (West Point and Air Force mostly). There are also kids at various private schools like Carleton, St. Olaf, Macalester, etc. too.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
No one from my class attended an Ivy League college. 80% went to the local community college just around the corner and the other 20% went to places like Syracuse University, Rochester Institute of Technology, or a college in NYC.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,574 times
None in my immediate circle .

Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
At my suburban Philadelphia high school, there were always a ton of Penn kids (at least 10 a year out of our graduating class of ~225), with maybe 15 others scattered between the other ivies. Of the remaining 90%, 10% went to ivy-equivalents and top liberal arts colleges (MIT, Stanford, Amherst, Swarthmore, etc.), and about another 10% went to the next-highest tier of private universities/LACs (WUSTL, Emory, Colgate, Hamilton, etc). A good quarter went to overpriced mid-tier privates (GW, Syracuse, Dickinson, F&M etc--not at all bad schools, but definitely not worth the sticker price many of their parents paid). Another 10% went to lower-tier privates. Of the public school crowd, probably a quarter stayed in-state (mostly Penn State, Pitt, and Temple in that order, following by the various former teachers colleges like West Chester and Kutztown), while a smaller minority went to community college. Of the remaining 10%, about half went mostly elite out-of-state publics like Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin. The other half were scattered everywhere from Rutgers to UGA to Arizona State.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
i dont know the stats for the class as a whole and my circle of friends/acquaintances is obviously a biased sample. that being said, i went to a public hs in va and most kids i knew went to like uva, william and mary, virginia tech, jmu, radford, vcu, etc. we had a few kids here and there go to like ivies or other top schools (maybe 2-3 a year?). some also went to random universities out-of-state. im sure there was a population that went to the local CC or didn't go to college at all but that group wasn't really in my circle of acquaintances.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
At my suburban Philadelphia high school, there were always a ton of Penn kids (at least 10 a year out of our graduating class of ~225), with maybe 15 others scattered between the other ivies. Of the remaining 90%, 10% went to ivy-equivalents and top liberal arts colleges (MIT, Stanford, Amherst, Swarthmore, etc.), and about another 10% went to the next-highest tier of private universities/LACs (WUSTL, Emory, Colgate, Hamilton, etc). A good quarter went to overpriced mid-tier privates (GW, Syracuse, Dickinson, F&M etc--not at all bad schools, but definitely not worth the sticker price many of their parents paid). Another 10% went to lower-tier privates. Of the public school crowd, probably a quarter stayed in-state (mostly Penn State, Pitt, and Temple in that order, following by the various former teachers colleges like West Chester and Kutztown), while a smaller minority went to community college. Of the remaining 10%, about half went mostly elite out-of-state publics like Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin. The other half were scattered everywhere from Rutgers to UGA to Arizona State.
Is this a public high school? If it is public it would have to be one of the top rated schools in the state. This means it is probably one of these.
1. Unionville-Chadds Ford
2. Tredyffrin-Easttown
3. Radnor
4. Lower Merion

My local school district had a number of years where it sent two to Ivies and two to the military academies each year. It seems to have fallen off the past couple years with none of either. A local comparable sized high school recently had its first graduate accepted at an Ivy.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Is this a public high school? If it is public it would have to be one of the top rated schools in the state. This means it is probably one of these.
1. Unionville-Chadds Ford
2. Tredyffrin-Easttown
3. Radnor
4. Lower Merion

My local school district had a number of years where it sent two to Ivies and two to the military academies each year. It seems to have fallen off the past couple years with none of either. A local comparable sized high school recently had its first graduate accepted at an Ivy.
Harriton, which is within the Lower Merion School District. We're tiny and Kobe Bryant wasn't an alumnus, so people tend to overlook us , although given the most recent dedistricting, the schools will soon be (if they are not already) about the same size.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
4 1/2 decades ago, in a steel mill town west of Pittsburgh:

There is a small, Reformed Presbyterian Church college, Geneva College, in my hometown where a lot of my HS cohorts went. Our valedictorian went there. It was about the same price to go there and live at home as going to a state college (as they were called at the time) and living on campus. Most of the rest who went to college went to the close-by state colleges, e.g. Slippery Rock, Clarion and Indiana U of PA. A handful of us, including me, went to Pitt and another handful went to Penn State. Some went to Grove City and Westminster College, private colleges in W PA. Usually someone went to Carnegie-Mellon, but I can't think of anyone from my class that did. One of my cousins from the class ahead, and one from the class behind me went there (CMU).

Fast forward to my kids' classes in suburban Denver, 2002 and 2005:

Most kids went to the U of CO, Colorado State, Front Range CC and the U of Northern CO, in about that order. A few went to Colo. School of Mines. The most popular out of state college was Brigham Young U in Utah. When my older DD graduated, Arizona State was for some reason popular, as was the U of Washington. The valedictorian and salutatorian went to Stanford. A good friend of DD's went to Notre Dame, another to Boston U. Lots of Lutherans out here, St. Olaf, Gustavus, Pacific Lutheran and California Lutheran usually get a few. The valedictorian of the younger DD's class went to the University of Southern California. The salutatorian went to Carnegie Mellon.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Pretty good schools. Small HS in NJ with class just over 100.

From the top of my head ... from a few years sample ... Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Berkeley, UVA, Carnegie Mellon, etc.

About 20% of the kids would go to Rutgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities