Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
You are correct a BA in History is criminally easy. You can learn the contents of a BA level program on your own.

To make a BA in History work in the for profit job market it has to include usable skills which are of value to a prospective employer. The end result is essentially a degree which has little bearing on History other than the core classes. Chose your classes so that the have as much crossover to business as possible. You can typically minor in something else with only 5 classes which are basically your electives. Example: If you focus on Latin Amerian History and add in statistics, modeling and geography then you have something useful for a position dealing with Latin America.

You could do another major close to your interests(whatever your plan B major is) and minor in History to gain good GPA. You really do not have to declare what major will be on your diploma until your third year if you remain in the same College? Why not take the basic classes required for 1&2 year and then make a decision?

The sooner you start, the sooner you finish. But be quite sure regarding motiviation and finances.
Great information...it got me thinking...

What if I got an Associate degree in Paralegal Studies and then went on to get the BA in History with a minor in Economics or Business Administration?

Would that be alright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I am not familiar with Paralegal Studies but I do know you can do the History BA with minor in Economics and Business if the handbook indicates a minor is x amount of electives. (It was five 3000/4000 courses for me) I would check the handbook and confirm with an advisor regarding entry into the upper division portion for the History BA. That is you may have to complete an intro course or courses at the 1000/2000 level to qualify for entry in the 3000/4000 courses(the ones which are the declared major) Well it was that way at my university.

Note each additional Minor will prolong the program graduation date. Bumps the GPA up. Employers do check GPA at least the good ones when they do background. Just overall GPA.

Confirm AMU's credentials against a brick-mortar state university. They offer Security Studies and a whole host of Global Strategy programs IIRC? If you are considering international work to learn a foreign language needed for business. Just conversational is fine. I would recommend learning Brazilian Portuguese or Spanish.

You have the money and motivation? Correct?

People destroy themselves psychologically and think all is doom/gloom if they are not STEM or top-tier. Companies hire intelligence, motivation and leadership capabilities. They will train you for their particular services or products. Worked for me but everyone says things are different now and sooo hard. CPG has grown tremendously in 2011. Particularly for South America. Keep track of it if it interests you.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-04-2012 at 03:18 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar with Paralegal Studies but I do know you can do the History BA with minor in Economics and Business if the handbook indicates a minor is x amount of electives. (It was five 3000/4000 courses for me) I would check the handbook and confirm with an advisor regarding entry into the upper division portion for the History BA. That is you may have to complete an intro course or courses at the 1000/2000 level to qualify for entry in the 3000/4000 courses(the ones which are the declared major) Well it was that way at my university.

Note each additional Minor will prolong the program graduation date. Bumps the GPA up. Employers do check GPA at least the good ones when they do background. Just overall GPA.

Confirm AMU's credentials against a brick-mortar state university. They offer Security Studies and a whole host of Global Strategy programs IIRC? If you are considering international work to learn a foreign language needed for business. Just conversational is fine. I would recommend learning Brazilian Portuguese or Spanish.

You have the money and motivation? Correct?

People destroy themselves psychologically before the begin anything and think all is doom/gloom if they are not STEM or top-tier. Companies hire intelligence, motivation and leadership capabilities. They will train you for their particular services or products. Worked for me but everyone says things are different now and sooo hard. CPG has grown tremendously in 2011.

Oh and if you are really good at History and stay with it you may in about 20years sit down to write a book once you make VP.
To answer your question of whether or not I have motivation: after reading the section of your post which mentioned everything being prolonged...Nope, motivation is nearly out the window lol.

As far as finding a job and getting hired, it is a bit harder than that from what I've seen. Maybe the job market is better in Miami than NY though, I don't know.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post

As far as finding a job and getting hired, it is a bit harder than that from what I've seen. Maybe the job market is better in Miami than NY though, I don't know.

Miami is one of the worst job markets in the nation. Hablas español? Good luck finding a job without Spanish :P

Why not major in Economics and then a minor in history? That'd be a lot more marketable and that'd help you out big time considering the only type of industry Miami has is the banking industry. Also, take Spanish, you're going to need to know it down there, most of the people don't even speak English.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Miami is one of the worst job markets in the nation. Hablas español? Good luck finding a job without Spanish :P

Why not major in Economics and then a minor in history? That'd be a lot more marketable and that'd help you out big time considering the only type of industry Miami has is the banking industry. Also, take Spanish, you're going to need to know it down there, most of the people don't even speak English.
Well thank you for educating me.

I don't want to major in Economics because I am not good with numbers and junk like that. History just seems quite easy as it always has been for me.

And I'm not moving to Miami. I also speak Spanish fairly well lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:

I don't want to major in Economics because I am not good with numbers and junk like that. History just seems quite easy as it always has been for me.

I can't imagine history being difficult for anyone unless they have a memory disorder.

If you're going to go to college, why would you look for the easiest thing to do? Go there to LEARN . Sure you might have to do some studying, but at least you'll get something more out of it.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
after reading the thread and responses, i dont think you should bother. you already have a good career and you're not motivated. you'll probably just end up dropping out (didn't you already in the past when you found a better opportunity ie working?) and wasting money. if something happens with your job i dont think a degree in history from a random online school would help you more than your current work experience will.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:

Plenty of international jobs here but the common run of folk are not qualified for them. Need language and communication skills in the language. Colloquial cuban-english is not appropriate.

Burgler is spot on.
Have you seen an Economics syllabus? You have excellent memory. You memorize formulas and use software for the calculations. It is not difficult. You can still do the His as a minor or double major if you have the time. Bumps up the GPA. Double majors do not appear on the diploma unless you do dual degree. Well, maybe things have changed.

Business degree is easier than Economics and on par with History. It really depends on how the courses are presented. Plus your motivation.

I knew you spoke Spanish from the family wanting you to earn a degree.(gotta love Moms everywhere!) Folks are correct. Perhaps your current position does not need the degree but think the long game of being promotion material to manager with budgets and accountability further up the TOO.

Peruse Monster or similar and note the qualifications for the positions one/two levels up from yours if they indicate degrees.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I can't imagine history being difficult for anyone unless they have a memory disorder.

If you're going to go to college, why would you look for the easiest thing to do? Go there to LEARN . Sure you might have to do some studying, but at least you'll get something more out of it.
See, I tried that before but I'm the kind of person who isn't motivated by being pushed and challenged. I like to work the system a little and get myself into good positions with minimal effort. That sounds terrible but it's the truth. For example, in HS I graduated second in my class. However, all that was based on was who had the highest GPA so all I did was take easy courses and fly through them. I took a lot of advanced college courses that were offered in the HS by teachers that liked me and didn't give me a hard time so I took those in order to avoid any headaches.

It's not that I don't like to learn or that I don't like a decent challenge every once in a while, I guess I'm just not one of those nerdy students who likes to make their life revolve around grades. Money motivates me more than an A+ on a test ever would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
after reading the thread and responses, i dont think you should bother. you already have a good career and you're not motivated. you'll probably just end up dropping out (didn't you already in the past when you found a better opportunity ie working?) and wasting money. if something happens with your job i dont think a degree in history from a random online school would help you more than your current work experience will.
Yeah I did drop out after my first semester but I think that was mainly in part because I was going after a degree that wasn't my style (Marketing). So I figured History would be good enough to keep me focused since I'm interested in it and also because it'll help me get a degree and be able to say that I at least finished college so everyone wins.

Quote:
Plenty of international jobs here but the common run of folk are not qualified for them. Need language and communication skills in the language. Colloquial cuban-english is not appropriate.

Burgler is spot on.
Have you seen an Economics syllabus? You have excellent memory. You memorize formulas and use software for the calculations. It is not difficult. You can still do the His as a minor or double major if you have the time. Bumps up the GPA. Double majors do not appear on the diploma unless you do dual degree. Well, maybe things have changed.

Business degree is easier than Economics and on par with History. It really depends on how the courses are presented. Plus your motivation.

I knew you spoke Spanish from the family wanting you to earn a degree.(gotta love Moms everywhere!) Folks are correct. Perhaps your current position does not need the degree but think the long game of being promotion material to manager with budgets and accountability further up the TOO.

Peruse Monster or similar and note the qualifications for the positions one/two levels up from yours if they indicate degrees.
The reason I don't want to pursue a business/economics/any mathematical degree is because I failed College Accounting 3 times. Nuff said I think lol. I've never been good with math or science. Barely scraped by with all my high school math classes and passed upper level science courses with a 67 in both Chemistry and Biology (65 is passing).

Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Quote:
History comes easy to me. I read a page and have it memorized. I watch a video and can remember all facts including dates.

I am always told to pursue what I enjoy yet also told by the same people to pursue something that will make money.

What do I want out of the degree? I want to have it as a back up in case I ever needed to go in for an interview and grab a job. I wouldn't mind working as a History teacher but that would require me to go for a Master's in Teaching or whatever it is which I definitely do not want to do.

I have looked at a syllabus for the degree I am considering. Not all that hard in my opinion.

I have not seen a state school in NY that offers a History degree online. AMU is cheaper than, say, Northeastern University and even some big online schools.
Quote:

I think the answer is within these two posts.

If you plan to get a history degree, use it and your ability to speak Spanish and go into tutoring/teaching. I'm sure there are options where a Master's degree isn't required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities