Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times

Advertisements

So classes are officially over, and lucky me, I have several cumulative finals coming up. I'm finishing up my freshman year in Civil Engineering, and so far, I have come out quite well. My first semester involved courses for which studying either wasn't really needed (intro courses and repeating calculus) or it was a matter of simply memorizing and knowing how to apply formulas (chemistry). My finals weren't too difficult, and I came out with a 4.0 with relative ease.

This semester has been somewhat different though. It has all been completely new material, all quantitative courses, all with cumulative finals that count for 25-35% of my grade. Given the volume and nature of the material being thrown out, I'm finding that I'm not quite as prepared for the exams as I'd like to be.

All throughout high school, I never found studying necessary in my math and science classes. The material was taught at a very manageable rate, the teacher had loads of time to do many examples, the homework gave more than adequate practice, and the tests were more or less predictable.

However, this semester has thrown me for a bit a loop. Material is taught at a more challenging pace, homework counts for much less and exams count for much more than what I'm used to, and I'm unable to rely simply on class time and homework to prepare me for the exams. The nature of the material is such that once you know the basics, it seems like there's not much you can do other than hope you have the problem solving skill set required for the specific question at hand.

Despite not being as comfortable with the material as I'd like, I've managed to come out well enough. Still, I've been relying on the curve a lot. In three of my courses, I'm on the A/A- line, and because of how heavily the finals are weighted, I have to make an A on the final to make an A in the course. It's an intimidating task such that I feel I need to put more effort than I have previously into studying for these tests.

The problem I'm running into though is how should I go studying for a STEM class like Statics or Series and Multivariable Calculus? I feel like I need to start setting up better study habits since I have six more semesters of this. heheh...heh...heh

So my question is how do/did you study for STEM courses? Any techniques or tips for a freshman?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Study very far in advance. There's no such thing as cramming and studying early does not mean studying 3 days before an exam. When your friends in easy majors are going out partying, you're in studying for an exam, no questions asked. If you have something coming up, you prepare for it weeks in advance, and then prepare again when you're doing preparing. Really, it's just about reptition to the point of mastering the concepts.

As an engineering student, you're not there to memorize some ideas and nothing more. You have to study how it works and know your way around every curveball there is. The problem most students have with engineering material is they study things at one view, they learn the material a certain way, but don't know how to work through it when things are changed around.

Another good way to study, especially with classes like physics is to work your way backwards through a problem, sounds funny but it does help. Also, don't just change numbers around with homework problems, reword the entire problem, if you're given one thing change it around. Maybe try taking out two unkowns so you can substitute in other equations and work like that.

It seems like you're doing pretty good I'd try and keep up what you're doing and just add a little bit more to it. Also, you CAN have a life, I said earlier that you can't go out when your friends do. You can still go out, just not all the time, but there's always a little bit of time. It is just all about time management and not wasting important time.

Another thing, multivariable calculus isn't as hard as it sounds. I really think it is there to make you look cool when you walk with the book and the ladies see it

Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Know how to do a problem enough.

IMO, in engineering school (I'm a civil too) its all about showing you know what is going on, not necessarily getting the correct answer (though that will help a lot).

With the volume of material you have, you need to know how to get the most points out of a problem. Partial credit is very much your friend. I don't think I got a single problem correct in concrete design, yet pulled off a B due to partial credit. It crucial because these tests are often 3-5 questions, you cannot ever leave something blank.. ever.

Now your exam might not be open notes, but at least you get an equation sheet, right? What I used to do (and still do, I have a grad exam tomorrow night) is

1) go through the text and you class notes on each topic and make yourself an equation/study guide. Identify which equation go with which "buzz words" so that if you get stuck you are not totally lost. When you are done you will have a solid rubric of which equations to use, opposed to your class notes which may be a mess

2) Use that study guide to do example problems, preferably ones that are already solved out in the book. Cover up the books example and try to use your study guide to answer the question. When you are done, compare how you did it to the way the book did. Your way might make more sense or the books way may show you things that you forgot.

If you do something like that, you will unknowingly learn the equations. I have spend days making the perfect study guide and never looking at it in an exam.. why? because I remembered most of it from looking at it 100 times.

Also, I am sure some of the life long learners will take offense to this.. but don't waste your time trying to understand why something happens. Just learn which equation to plug and chug the unknowns into to spit out an answer that makes it seem like you know what you are doing.

Finally, find what you need on the exam to be "fail proof" in the class. I used to do it before every exam, or sometimes in the exam to see how many points I have already got. I don't want to sound like a slacker, because I am not, I had a GPA over 3.5 which was even higher in civil classes, and never failed a class. BUT knowing what I needed to get on an exam to be "fail proof" always helped me calm myself down. For example say 60% of your class is made up for already and you have a 95 average.... thats 57 points. Get a 50% on the exam? 20 extra points.. 77. Know yourself and know that you have never gotten a 50 on a final, ever and it will be all gravy from there.

Just my cynical way of justifying things!

Also, if they allow it, get a TI 89... use technology to your advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities