Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

In Montreal the students are staging protests regarding tuition hikes. The price of an education is going up and up...eventually only the rich will send their kids to institutions of higher learning- and those from average or poor families face the prospect of not having a higher education- This is the forming of a rigged class or cast system--Imagine this..THAT you will belong to the servant class simply because they have put education out of the reach of most...This would be totally frustrating to those who want to better themselves.

Education should be free for anyone that wants to put the work and effort into getting a degree.................IF it becomes a thing only for the rich- we will in time get a more divided and stupid nation..Let those with the desire to learn LEARN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonTradMD View Post
I think those are old numbers. College unemployment for young people is something like 30% now.

1 in 2 College Graduates Unemployed or Underemployed | Care2 Causes

This was after some quick google-fu.
College grads over the age of 25 have a 4% unemployment rate currently.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
In Montreal the students are staging protests regarding tuition hikes. The price of an education is going up and up...eventually only the rich will send their kids to institutions of higher learning- and those from average or poor families face the prospect of not having a higher education- This is the forming of a rigged class or cast system--Imagine this..THAT you will belong to the servant class simply because they have put education out of the reach of most...This would be totally frustrating to those who want to better themselves.

Education should be free for anyone that wants to put the work and effort into getting a degree.................IF it becomes a thing only for the rich- we will in time get a more divided and stupid nation..Let those with the desire to learn LEARN!
The average debt is around 15k from a top 100 school. It is the average student whO is paying a lot for tuition. It can be free or very cheap if you are smart enough. Free education at some tier three university would be a horrible idea.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
GETTING an education in a democratic nation should not depend on how much money you have- nor should becoming President depend on how much money you can toss at an election campaign. I guess it is all about maintaining a class system- well look around and see what condition America is in with this so-called ruling class in charge--maybe it's time for some new blood..the old blood fails to carry the day....

But in a nation where money is god- what does one expect...The brightest and the best are not always the richest and most elite. This is the defect- the cream does not rise to the top. There are restrictions due to class. We are no different than India where a strong cast system creates master slave relationships- sometimes the slave is smarter than the master...go figure.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The "college is a sham" argument is very dangerous and could lead to long term problems for the US economy. The unemployment rates for people over 25 are: approximately 4 percent for college graduates, approximately 7 percent for high school graduates, and approximately 12 percent for high school dropouts. The trend-line is obvious and overwhelming.

The financial crisis made it harder for recent grads to find jobs, but it's not a permanent trend.

Yes, college is expensive and steps should be taken to bring costs down. Other options (besides a 4-year BA) should be created as well. However, saying that college is a waste and a fraud is absurd and untrue.
Agreed, but at the same time you can see through a lot of the bull**** at schhols. As stated before $800 for 3 text books that every 2-3 years they revise it just enough that you need the new edition in school.

Afterall agelbra, and other maths have changed so much in the last thousand years, its nothing like it used to be(sarcasm).

My favorite was a tenured professor, who had a book, that the school bookstore would not buyback. Even though it was used ever semester. It was an ok book. Students knew the scam and would just sit outside to sell the book. But that is just a scam to sell more books for the proffesor.

There are a lot of "shams" in education, it is very important don't get me wrong, but it is nowhere near the pure academic establishment of greatness people like to pretend it is.

Good example.... Try and register for any class if you have a $10 bull**** parking ticket, or a $0.25 library fee.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
GETTING an education in a democratic nation should not depend on how much money you have- nor should becoming President depend on how much money you can toss at an election campaign. I guess it is all about maintaining a class system- well look around and see what condition America is in with this so-called ruling class in charge--maybe it's time for some new blood..the old blood fails to carry the day....

But in a nation where money is god- what does one expect...The brightest and the best are not always the richest and most elite. This is the defect- the cream does not rise to the top. There are restrictions due to class. We are no different than India where a strong cast system creates master slave relationships- sometimes the slave is smarter than the master...go figure.
It depends on how smart you are and how well you do in HS.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Agreed, but at the same time you can see through a lot of the bull**** at schhols. As stated before $800 for 3 text books that every 2-3 years they revise it just enough that you need the new edition in school.
The thread is about not going to college at all, not the expense of textbooks. Not going to college because you can't resell the textbooks is absurd and a completely separate issue.

I think it's dangerous that many people advocate foregoing college when all of the statistics and trends suggest that it's highly beneficial in the long run.

Of course, families should do it sensibly by planning and shopping around to avoid a mountain of debt.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
We can't compete with the worlds best when we have too many people earning nearly worthless degrees.

More kids in college today than in history! But they are studying the wrong things.
That is SO true.
I see people getting degrees in curriculums that will ensure they will be totally unemployable. This was a few years ago, but when 45% of my engineers were from India, and 45% were from China.... The joke was "if you couldn't get into one of the seven IIT's, you would go to MIT". I feel bad for the US, as the technology edge is being lost. Perhaps kids today should use Playstations and IPods less, and hunker down to the basics.
But, don't blame me. I am doing my best to fix it, and at least I will generate another medical doctor from a top school.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
This is deviating from the thread but, why hasn't anyone mentioned population as the culprit behind what's wrong with the economy and college students being unable to find jobs?

You have boatloads of Indian and Chinese students who have the same skill sets as American students and are willing and able to work for cheap (as far as I know, these countries don't have minimum wage laws).

This reminds me of the Bubonic Plague after which, the economy for Europe began to improve and led to the Renascence movement. The way I see it, unless millions of people start to die off and labor because harder to find, the economy will continue to suck and college students will continue to find it more and more difficult to find jobs, even having to compete for Starbuck's or McDonald's jobs.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Fact of the date, which should contribute to this debate. The number of administrative personnel at colleges per 100 students has risen 38% in the past decade. Mind you, this is at a time when most industries have managed to wring more productivity out of the same number of workers through the internet, software, etc.

That should tell you absolutely everything you need to know. It's not incumbent on parents to continue ponying up for tuitions that continue escalating at rates far beyond that of inflation. It's not incumbent on students to blithely rack up debt in the tens of thousands of dollars. It's incumbent on colleges to deliver a good value for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities