Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from a 4-year college. Now before I went to the 4-year school, I went to a community college. Now I got lazy, for a semester or two and ended up getting 2 D grades at the 2-year school that showed up on the transcript at the 4-year school. Is it at all possible to have those taken off the transcript or something similar? If so, would I take it up with the 2 or 4 year school?

The reason I am inquiring is that my GPA with the D grades not in the equation (which the degree audit at 4-year has) would be 3.0 which is the minimum qualifying GPA for graduate interships and programs and higher pay with federal govt entry level jobs (a difference of anywhere from $4-7k). With the 2 D's included, the GPA goes down to 2.9. Obviously this is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
I doubt it's possible unless there was some kind of mistake and it's the wrong grade. Most colleges have a time limit on which you can contest a grade. Some colleges have a grade forgiveness policy where you can retake a class (at the institution where you made the grade), but usually the original grade will remain on the transcript. One thing you definitely can do it take some more classes to raise your GPA.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Are you sure the transferred grades are part of your GPA from your graduating school? I also transferred credits from a CC to a university. I was given credit for the classes, but they were not part of my GPA.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
The only right answer for this is going to come from the colleges. Call or go to the career services center of your college and talk to them. They'll be able to point you in the right direction. The only thing you are going to get from a bulletin board is opinions.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Are you sure the transferred grades are part of your GPA from your graduating school? I also transferred credits from a CC to a university. I was given credit for the classes, but they were not part of my GPA.
This, plus at many universities they will not accept anything below a C when transferring grades, so I wouldn't think they would calculate into your university GPA.

However they will show up when they calculate your overall GPA. My son just ran into a similar problem. He had completed all his university math requirements but was considering changing majors which required a more difficult math, so he decided to go to the local junior college and take the more difficult math course. He ended up making a D in the course and ultimately did not change majors. He had additionally taken 2 other courses at the same JC, which he did well in. When he transferred his credits to his university, the D was not accepted and had no affect on his GPA. His A's in the other courses were accepted as passing, meeting university requirements, but also had no affect on his GPA.

Fast forward 2 years and he was applying to law school. When compiling all his info, all grades from any school must be sent in and that one D had to be included. So that one course he took, which he didn't even need adversely affected his overall GPA.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
It is unusual to include transfer grades in GPA calculation.
Unfortunately, the best fix was simply to take another easy class or two (like lower division classes in your major) to up your GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities