U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 5,852 times

Advertisements

I got admission and now am considering.

Which one has a better reputation?

As for the US News rankings, they are all unranked schools.
But in 2012, SJU's marketing ranked 14th.

-
SJU | MS in International Marketing
http://www.sju.edu/academics/hsb/grad/mim/index.html

VCU | M.S. in Business with a concentration in Global Marketing Management
http://www.business.vcu.edu/graduate/msgmm.html

Last edited by Yiik; 05-13-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:42 AM

6,623 posts, read 10,269,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiik View Post
Which one has a better reputation?

As for the US News rankings, they are all unranked schools.
But in 2012, SJU's marketing ranked 14th.
You answered your own question.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
You answered your own question.
Well, sometimes the rankings are just bulls.h.i.t.
I guess finding a job is more realistic, you know, local fame and stuff like that.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 PM

3,332 posts, read 5,134,341 times
in that situation i'd probably go with whichever would end up being cheaper.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM

13,716 posts, read 21,980,090 times
I graduated from St Joe's many decades ago, going there was the best academic experience of my life, and turned out to be a wonderful career building move too.

Majored in Accounting, so I'm looking at it from a slightly different prespective.

But I absolutely loved the school, just a great experience.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,939,660 times
Just curious, are you are foreign student? Honestly, marketing graduate degrees are not popular in the U.S. because it is a field that doesn't require graduate degrees and where employers really don't care if you have a graduate degree in marketing.

There is some value in getting an elite MBA, as some top tier marketing jobs in areas like brand management go to MBA students, but I'm not sure if they recruit at M.S. programs.

Every marketing graduate student that I have ever met was a foreign student that eventually wanted to become a professor. Marketing in the U.S. just isn't field that requires a lot of education or pedigree. Results are immediate and measurable, so experience and a track record of success is the real path to a career in marketing.

As for those schools, both are very regional in nature, but St. Joe's is located in a much better city for jobs.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Just curious, are you are foreign student? Honestly, marketing graduate degrees are not popular in the U.S. because it is a field that doesn't require graduate degrees and where employers really don't care if you have a graduate degree in marketing.

There is some value in getting an elite MBA, as some top tier marketing jobs in areas like brand management go to MBA students, but I'm not sure if they recruit at M.S. programs.

Every marketing graduate student that I have ever met was a foreign student that eventually wanted to become a professor. Marketing in the U.S. just isn't field that requires a lot of education or pedigree. Results are immediate and measurable, so experience and a track record of success is the real path to a career in marketing.

As for those schools, both are very regional in nature, but St. Joe's is located in a much better city for jobs.
Bingo. I am a Chinese student.

But I was told that it would be helpful for foreigners to find a job in the U.S. if concentrating on marketing analysis. From this perspective, VCU's coursework is more beneficial, I think. (judgement welcomed)

Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM

14,753 posts, read 25,404,673 times
Neither of these schools are top business schools. Not even Villanova (sorry). If they show up as high in an international ranking, then that's just a "niche" quirk. The best thing to do is go to a higher-ranked MBA program, major in marketing (if that's what you like), and then take your breadth courses in international business and, of course, note foreign language fluency on your resume/info.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Neither of these schools are top business schools. Not even Villanova (sorry). If they show up as high in an international ranking, then that's just a "niche" quirk. The best thing to do is go to a higher-ranked MBA program, major in marketing (if that's what you like), and then take your breadth courses in international business and, of course, note foreign language fluency on your resume/info.
Well, the marketing ranking list comes from US News and I guess its a domestic one. (still wondering how st.joe's made itself 14th)
I know getting an MBA is more worthwhile, but at least I should work for years before then, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities