U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,423,376 times

Advertisements

One of my kids is starting college in the fall and her expenses will be in large part funded by a Parent Plus Loan that I will obtain thru Sallie Mae. I will also want to downsize our house- hoping to sell next spring and buy something smaller. This has to be done in any case regardless of college expenses. How will the Parent Loan be viewed by the future mortgage company? As payments will be deferred for several years will those payments be counted against my debt ratio? Am I walking into a trap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,579,264 times
My regular student loans counted against my debt:income ratio even when I was still taking classes (they were deferred). I'm not sure about Parent Plus, but I imagine they would, since you are the one responsible for the debt.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 PM

735 posts, read 1,821,862 times
This probably is not a good option (or an otion), but mentioning just in case...PLUS Loans do not consider debt to income ratio, so if you got the mortgage before the PLUS Loan, the debt to income itself from the mortgage debt would not be a factor in the PLUS Loan credit decision.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:44 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,719,504 times
Your parent plus loan for a mortgage will factor into your debt to income ratio even if deferred.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:26 PM

11,032 posts, read 9,547,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
One of my kids is starting college in the fall and her expenses will be in large part funded by a Parent Plus Loan that I will obtain thru Sallie Mae. I will also want to downsize our house- hoping to sell next spring and buy something smaller. This has to be done in any case regardless of college expenses. How will the Parent Loan be viewed by the future mortgage company? As payments will be deferred for several years will those payments be counted against my debt ratio? Am I walking into a trap?
Same situation here.It will impact your credit as any non-secured loan would.

Un-secured loans are the most risky. So it's not a positive on your credid score, but you did need decent credit to obtain a PLUS loan.
They are commercial loans, and are regarded by creditors as such.

We are taking out PLUS loans also.
You do what you need to do, I guess.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 PM

318 posts, read 407,926 times
I know you didn't ask, but let me share some unsolicited advice as a parent of a college student. My question is why are you taking out loans for your child's education?

When my daughter began college, we didn't have enough money to pay all her expenses and didn't qualify for grants. We looked at student loans, too, for her and me to pay for her education and associated expenses. After reading several experts advise parents not to incur student loan debt, I decided to let my daughter take out the student loans in her name and will help her pay them down when they become due.

Since most parents of college students need to hasten their retirement funding, experts advise against us borrowing money for their education. Plus, a parent loan shows on your credit report and can create problems for some. Also, many students I've discussed this with are proud of themselves for paying their own way. It has matured them quickly and keeps them focused on graduating asap.

So while my daughter's in college, I'm increasing my retirement accounts. She's working, too, to help pay some of her expenses and borrow less.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM

27,708 posts, read 21,724,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
I know you didn't ask, but let me share some unsolicited advice as a parent of a college student. My question is why are you taking out loans for your child's education?

When my daughter began college, we didn't have enough money to pay all her expenses and didn't qualify for grants. We looked at student loans, too, for her and me to pay for her education and associated expenses. After reading several experts advise parents not to incur student loan debt, I decided to let my daughter take out the student loans in her name and will help her pay them down when they become due.

Since most parents of college students need to hasten their retirement funding, experts advise against us borrowing money for their education. Plus, a parent loan shows on your credit report and can create problems for some. Also, many students I've discussed this with are proud of themselves for paying their own way. It has matured them quickly and keeps them focused on graduating asap.

So while my daughter's in college, I'm increasing my retirement accounts. She's working, too, to help pay some of her expenses and borrow less.

But you still have to co-sign for the student. No one is going to hand out tens of thousands of dollars in loans to a kid in college without a cosigner.

My daughter did not qualify for any grants, either, only the normal federal student loans. Saving for college was not an option when she was growing up, since I lived paycheck to paycheck to support her. However, in the past few years my income has increased, and in his forties my ex decided to grow up a little and become a gainfully employed human, so by the time she went to school we were not eligible for any assistance.

However, I took out a Parents Plus loan the first year, before I got smart. The interest rate on the Plus loans is 8.5 percent! The next year, I had my daughter apply for a loan through our credit union at 5.89 percent. I had to co-sign for it, and I will pay it off for her. Her father has done the same for his share.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post

Simple answer - we WANT to pay for our children's education.

When think of it as our responsibility.

This is not arguable. There are different schools of thought here.
I also don't care if my children graduate "asap".

And yes, they have summer jobs that are related to their future fields of endeavor, which do not involve fast food.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,071,289 times
It's noble to want to pay for childrens education. And I do assist. I wash clothes, feed THEIR dog, buy gas when needed...and I purchased each of their vechicles....In return they fund their own college days.

It's their education, they need to learn early what investments mean.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:46 PM

Education is not an "investment." One can lose an investment. Knowlege is something that lasts forever and is not connected with money in an essentialist way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities