Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:35 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,663 times

Advertisements

I had just graduated as a finance major with a 3.0 GPA. I’m currently on my way to becoming a financial advisor. However, I’d decided to go to law school because I want something more than just working at a retail bank. I’d wrote the LSAT and I scored a 171. The school (UofT) I’m interested in has a median LSAT of 167 so I’m confident that my LSAT is enough to for admission. However, their median GPA is 3.8 so clearly my GPA is insufficient. I think I can gain admission for a few low-tier law schools but I’m still in my early 20s so I’d rather wait and graduate from the best law school in Canada.

I can complete another BA part-time at an accredited institution different from my alma mater taking the same courses and receiving the same degree as full-time students. It’ll be a heavy workload but I think it’s doable. However, I’m not sure how law schools will reconcile my GPAs from two undergraduate programs.

An alternative is that I can apply for a graduate program and hope to do really well in that. But, I don’t think graduate GPAs matter for law school admissions.

Finally, I can just apply to a second or even third-tier law school right now. I may get in, but I’m worried about the job prospects of those graduating from such schools.

What should I do? I really want to erase the scar of my poor GPA. Is it even feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I had just graduated as a finance major with a 3.0 GPA. I’m currently on my way to becoming a financial advisor. However, I’d decided to go to law school because I want something more than just working at a retail bank. I’d wrote the LSAT and I scored a 171. The school (UofT) I’m interested in has a median LSAT of 167 so I’m confident that my LSAT is enough to for admission. However, their median GPA is 3.8 so clearly my GPA is insufficient. I think I can gain admission for a few low-tier law schools but I’m still in my early 20s so I’d rather wait and graduate from the best law school in Canada.

I can complete another BA part-time at an accredited institution different from my alma mater taking the same courses and receiving the same degree as full-time students. It’ll be a heavy workload but I think it’s doable. However, I’m not sure how law schools will reconcile my GPAs from two undergraduate programs.

An alternative is that I can apply for a graduate program and hope to do really well in that. But, I don’t think graduate GPAs matter for law school admissions.

Finally, I can just apply to a second or even third-tier law school right now. I may get in, but I’m worried about the job prospects of those graduating from such schools.

What should I do? I really want to erase the scar of my poor GPA. Is it even feasible?
A bunch of questions:
a) do you really want to be a lawyer? a pervasive interest or a current interest?
b) why did you rack up a 3.0 GPA...I'm not judging...but was it because of work, having fun, tough major?
c) are we talking about UT-Austin or U-Tennessee? OK, I backed up, you mean University of Toronto. Did you go to UT as an undergrad or somewhere else?
d) you talk about best law school in Canada - you mean McGill? I'm sure they'd be super competitive, too.
e) how do LSAT scores line up with percentiles? Their numbers are weird. Most other standardized tests work off of 800.
f) people do go to law school with graduate degrees. I'm sure they would factor it in, but don't know how they'd "reconcile" the two. You should talk to someone in several law school admissions departments anonymously to find out
g) I think a lower-tier law school is risky in this day and age

Old 05-19-2012, 07:34 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Your LSAT score is excellent. I'm not sure how law school admissions in Canada works, but you can never erase or completely replace your undergrad degree grades. It's your "perminent record" so to speak.

Either way, elite law schools are a crap shoot, but I'm sure with a 171 you'd probably get into a competitive one even with a 3.0.

Check out law school numbers to see how you match up:
Welcome to LawSchoolNumbers.com | Law School Numbers

Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Your LSAC GPA (ie the one that matters) is only based off the grades earned toward your first bachelor's. Getting a second degree won't matter much, although since Canadian law schools aren't so rankings-driven, they may actually take that significantly into account. As for American schools, your best shot at getting into a good school would be by EDing to Penn, Michigan, or UVA. Northwestern might accept you RD with a couple years' work experience, but probably not straight out of undergrad. Keep in mind you'd have to pay full freight at these schools with your numbers. If you're among the 70-80% or so who either get a top-paying private sector job, or whose public sector work qualifies for loan repayment assistance, you will be fine. But if you're in that small but still significant minority who ends up underemployed or unemployed, you'll be in pretty big trouble, especially since law school debt is nondischargable in the event of bankruptcy.

Try posting on top-law-schools.com for more information. It can be a bit over dramatic at times, but the regular posters generally know what they're talking about.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,090 times
You are a perfect fit for Law School...there is no need to go back for a second bachelors. Your LSAT score alone will get you in a pretty good school.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,906 times
LSAT is weighted heavily by some schools.
T14 or bust.
Only first degree grades matter as I've been told by multiple sources.

I think a couple schools near the bottom of T14 would at least be interested.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
LSAT is weighted heavily by some schools.
T14 or bust.
Only first degree grades matter as I've been told by multiple sources.

I think a couple schools near the bottom of T14 would at least be interested.
That's interesting to know. I think people could mature and do better. At least it keeps the OP from embarking on something that won't pay off for law school admission.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM

402 posts, read 589,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post

Don't do it. No point. And yes, they do look at graduate school GPA's in law school admissions.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I think a master's degree would put you in better stead than a second bachelor's degree.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
i'm not sure if its the same with canadian law schools, but in the US some of the schools on the lower end of the top-14 really value work experience. you could potentially use work experience to offset a less-than-stellar gpa, esp when you're bringing in a decent LSAT score as well. however this could be a problem if you're looking into law school because you're struggling to find work experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities