Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I want to say Brandeis is a good option too, but I don't know as much about Brandeis besides the fact that it is Jewish and probably has ties to NY and LA when recruiting.
Note: I went to Brandeis as an undergrad, now work in the alumni relations office, and am pursuing an MBA in nonprofit management in Brandeis's Heller School for Social Policy.

Brandeis is a great option if you want to go into law, medicine, or nonprofit work, but is really not a school for business. However, it is more prestigious than BU and BC - on par with Tufts. In the past, many Brandeisians went from a background in economics or math to work on Wall Street, but I think that's less common in these economic times.

Brandeis only had a business minor when I graduated from college in 2010. Now there is a business major that many students pair with the 5 year MBA program in our international business school (which is a very well regarded program). I think there might be a new finance major as well?

One of Brandeis's central tenets is social justice, so you don't find a crew eager to go into business - outside of social entrepreneurship - attracted to that environment. The alumni network is strongest in Boston, NYC, and DC in that order, with a handful of people every year heading out to Chicago and San Francisco. While LA has a lot of respect for the Brandeis name, not all too many alumni end up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Just thought of something that qualifies the 'rep' of BU in the eyes of the snobbish Ivy elite.

Watch the first scene of the Social Network. Lol.
-- I was just about to post this but did a search first. For those who don't have access to the movie, Mark Zuckerberg is in a bar with his girlfriend at the time and she keeps saying she can't talk to him anymore, she had to go study, and he keeps on talking and saying "You don't have to study" with every rejoinder and finally, exasperated, she says "Why do you keep saying I don't have to study?" and he replies "Because you go to B.U."

Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's a decent school... especially great for research. However, it hasn't been able to keep up with other schools in the area... including Harvard, MIT and Tufts. None of my classmates or colleagues would be impressed in terms of prestige with Boston University. But that doesn't make it a bad school.

i've always thought BU is doomed due to geography. Harvard, MIT, Tufts, BC all overshadow it. put BU somewhere else geographically and from out the shadow of those top notch schools and the prestige award would increase.

the school in boston i feel worse for is Northeastern. Imagine trying to pick up girls in boston with the line "I go to Northeastern" haha. especially in a bar filled with MIT, Harvard, BC Tufts and BU kids.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
IMO, BU's undergrad operates to fund the graduate schools.

They have some of the best.. law, medicine, public health, MBA, yet their under grad is not as highly ranked and very expensive.

They are notorious for letting wealthy students into the general studies who don't need student loans.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,477 times
Having had a daughter who attended BU (she was in the top 3% of her hs class and CHOSE NOT to go to an IVY league - pressure cooker). BU is a great research institution. They do not inflate grades, you will have ALOT of programs from which to choose (the most important thing in any school) and depending on your personality, will do well (or not) regardless of any university's prestige.

Like SOO MANY colleges, their advising falls short. You may end up hiring a private career coach at some point in your life if you find yourself not really knowing what you want to do. The tuition and living expenses are high. It is in the Northeast after all, AND it's in the city. To find affordable housing in your upperclass years, you may wind up in the more 'affordable' city of Allston (a slum).

Let cost of tuition be your #1 guide, then academic offerings, then location, in that order.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
I'm not sure if I posted it earlier in the thread, but the couple of people I have personally known who have gone to BU have been white, come from well off families in the East, are quite attractive, and have a preppy type demeanor and goals.

They have done quite well for themselves in life.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
A school around here would be very proud to have one of their own go to Boston University. Not quite Harvard, but not UMD or SCSU either.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:51 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
It is only recently that Boston University (and NYU) have become prestigious.

Since the odious advent of "destination school shopping", both have jumped in their rankings.

In the 60s,70s, and early 80s; they were often used as "safety schools". I was surprised when sometime in the 90s, both schools jumped rank from "very competitive" to "most competitive".

Previous to the huge interest in attending schools at "happening" urban cities, they were above average colleges, and nothing more.

I think Syracuse University, which historically attracted a similar pool of applicants did not experience the same "bounce: in applicants, because it happens to be in a city that is perceived as dreary and snowbound.

The biggest laugh of the "destination colleges"? Northeastern University. Once a college designated for first generation college attendees and commuters and a fall back for any student who had heart set on Boston that college now ranked as "highly competitive" by Barons?

PLEASE!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Prestigious? No.

Prestigious IMO would be somewhere along the lines of the US NEWS top 15-20.

It's academically reputable though.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is only recently that Boston University (and NYU) have become prestigious.

Since the odious advent of "destination school shopping", both have jumped in their rankings.

In the 60s,70s, and early 80s; they were often used as "safety schools". I was surprised when sometime in the 90s, both schools jumped rank from "very competitive" to "most competitive".

Previous to the huge interest in attending schools at "happening" urban cities, they were above average colleges, and nothing more.

I think Syracuse University, which historically attracted a similar pool of applicants did not experience the same "bounce: in applicants, because it happens to be in a city that is perceived as dreary and snowbound.

The biggest laugh of the "destination colleges"? Northeastern University. Once a college designated for first generation college attendees and commuters and a fall back for any student who had heart set on Boston that college now ranked as "highly competitive" by Barons?

PLEASE!
Tufts was Elaine Benes' safety school.

Oh how the times have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities