Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
It's not quite as unbalanced everywhere! In California, 51% of community colleges students are under 25 - so that means 49% are over the age of 25.

The average age for undergraduates at UCLA is 21, and at SDSU 22.7, so it definitely skews younger at the big universities - but at community colleges there is a full range of ages!
SDSU is because it's party central. In SoCal, people want to hang around SDSU and, in "the North State," they want to hang around Chico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I went to a large state school and I was in my 30's, just got out of the military. I experienced no problems while there, it was an enjoyable time, I even had many classes with my wife, who was also in her 30's.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
My brother started his undergrad at a large state university (which tend to have higher rates of "traditional" students) last year at 24, and no one's batted an eye. If you're willing to look past the age gap that's between you and most college students, you can still meet people and have a great time. If anything, because you stand out from the rest of the crowd and have more life experience, it'll probably be easier to talk to professors and make connections.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
I am a non trad too. My study group had people from 24 to almost 60 and we were the ones taking it seriously and getting A's. Don't let anyone tell you (general you) that going for a bachelor is not worth it or that's not possible if you really want it.

Are some people feeling old now? We're going to be older in the future anyway and it depends on us if we'll have those degrees hanging on our walls or not. I decided I wanted mine and I finally graduate next year.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,545 times
I am going to start on Half of a A.A.S (yea.. certificate) this fall at 40. I really could care less what others think. I am doing it for me and my family, not them.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Maybe it depends on where you are as another poster mentioned. At the community college I have been attending there a many older students who are pursuing Associate degrees (not certificates) with plans on continuing on to get their Bachelors. I'm in late 40's and just finished (finally) my AS, and do hope to carry on to get my BS. The budget cuts here in California have made it a bit difficult, not to mention the focus on more liberal arts degrees. I need a few science classes that only are offered during the day, and only one class per semester. But I did manage to get my AS degree so I'm happy with that.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
I was alittle older when I went to college and heard the same thing, "you have no business being in undergrad at 25." I responded by saying, "you have no business being in college at 21 either!" Of course most didn't like that, but then again they weren't in the military for 4 years on active duty and then another 2 in the reserves. Yea, once I mentioned I was in the military, those comments started to stop, immediately! Nothing wrong with taking a few years off, maybe going part-time and saving up money. Not saying everyone has to join the military, but maybe some people can't afford to go, need to help out a sick mother or father and help pay the bills by working. What's alarming is that more and more people are going to college and graduating, and then having a hard time finding a job. So yes it's probably easier to go right after high school because you're so use to going to school and learning, but these days that's not necessarily an advantage over someone who waits and starts college at 22 or 23.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:39 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,582,765 times
I find worse trying to go to college early to please mom and dad and then failing for lack of maturity/motivation/etc. after spending all that time and money.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
Who cares what people think. Do it! Young kids have no experience.
Sam Harris finished his b.a. in his early thirties and then did his ph.d. and now he is a famous neuroscientist!!!
Not quite for his field of study yet, though. :P

Yep, who cares, just do it. You're at that age where being self-conscious of trying to fit in wanes. You'll probably never see most of these people anyways ever again, once you're done.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I went back to school in my late 20s it was amazing the differences in focus I had. From skipping classes, cramming, and 12 hour semesters. To showing up an hour early, staying an hour late, study groups on Sundays, 100s on tests, and deans and presidents list. During 18 credit hour semesters.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities