Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Not being knowledgeable about something and/or getting into a conversation you know little about =/= being "dumb".
Feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
i'm pretty sure over 50% of college folks wouldnt win that tv show "are you smarter than a 5th grader". so really, why judge?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 64,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i'm pretty sure over 50% of college folks wouldnt win that tv show "are you smarter than a 5th grader". so really, why judge?
It's funny you should say that because your statement would suggest you are no smarter than a fifth grader for it's lack of empirical evidence, and its dependence on subjective judgement. And this is coming from a Non-college grad.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantlet View Post
It's funny you should say that because your statement would suggest you are no smarter than a fifth grader for it's lack of empirical evidence, and its dependence on subjective judgement. And this is coming from a Non-college grad.
I was all set to give you a ref point until noticing a gross error in your writing. By the way, welcome to the forum. Such errors cost a letter grade at the university where I graduated. You made the possessive its into a contraction for it is....easy to do, but, easier to stop doing.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM

83 posts, read 194,135 times
I have 3 degrees and my dad has a 8th grade education but guess what, he is smarter than me and has been successful. I don't look down on anyone based off their education.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introv78 View Post
I have 3 degrees and my dad has a 8th grade education but guess what, he is smarter than me and has been successful. I don't look down on anyone based off their education.
I don't either. My father in law only finished 4th grade due to a learning disability NOW known as dyslexia. Back then, you were just labeled as stupid. He was a very successful dairy farmer, a great humble man, AND quite intelligent. My dad wasn't allowed by my grandfather to go beyond 8th grade. Once again, an intelligent man who started with absolutely nothing, bought a farm, worked hard, and was quite successful over the years. I would love to see some of our college grads that may have a chip on their shoulder even attempt to run a farm nowadays. This isn't a career for dummies. It's high-tech where a little mistake means big financial problems.

Everyone has to make due with what life gives you. There are a lot of total idiots graduating college today with watered down majors at second rate institutions (whose only real purpose is to get their money). Conversely, we're surrounded by people without degrees that are millionaires several times over. They didn't get that way by being stupid.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
College degrees are so common these days. Many jobs that did not require one, now do. Many more students are going on to college and there is probably a college for everyone, no matter how poorly you did in high school.

With that scenario, these days a college education means very little.

I think to those who have it and are settled into their professions, it no longer means a lot - it is a means to an end and they've accomplished one of their goals. I think it means a lot more to those who don't have it.
Actually, your first statement directly contradicts your second one. Since many jobs require a college degree now, not having a college degree shuts out anyone seeking one of those jobs, so having a college education does mean a great deal.

If you own your own successful business or if you have a well-developed skill that you can continue to work in until you retire, then having a college education isn't particularly important. If, however, you're just starting out or don't have some skill that can get you a job (or a skill that you might only be able to work at as long as you are physically fit), then not having a college degree is going to limit your opportunities.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Some do. I don't.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
I definitely don't look down on people that lack a formal education, but I tend to have a low opinion of people that take pride in their ignorance. I could not care less if a person chooses to acquire information through formal or informal channels, but I tend to avoid people with anti-intellectual attitudes.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I definitely don't look down on people that lack a formal education, but I tend to have a low opinion of people that take pride in their ignorance. I could not care less if a person chooses to acquire information through formal or informal channels, but I tend to avoid people with anti-intellectual attitudes.
Me too. I know quite a few people like this. I simply CANNOT watch the reality TV shows such as Swamp People, Moonshiners (I think that's the name), and that loggers show no more than I can stand watching some hip hop artist stick their fingers in my face. Why is it cool to act stupid? Solid respectful people that take pride in gaining the knowledge that they need for whatever their career is I admire. I enjoy being with people who also have varied interests outside of their employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities