Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
None whatsoever.

If anything, giving the skyrocketing national debt, people are less in the mood to give away freebies than they were ten years ago. What's more, with a huge network of grants, scholarships, and student loans, just about any student with a decent GPA and standardized test scores can get an entirely affordable post-secondary education at a public university or junior college.

Free post-secondary is just rife with unintended consequences. Suddenly, you have 28- and 30-year olds simply staying on the college treadmill forever. There's really no incentive for students to push themselves out into the workforce, and there's really no incentive for parents to keep their kids on the straight and narrow.

Except to corporations? Identification with the oppressor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
As you have posted this same thread in two different forums, I will give the same response in both of them:

The California state university system was free until the Reagan governorship. One of the top lines in Reagan's personal agenda was to abolish free higher education in California, and a $600 fee was imposed starting in 1971.

In Louisiana, as part of Huey Long's promise, university students in the 1950s paid only a $35 per semester fee to enroll at state colleges and universities.
What Reagan did as opposed to what Long did.

Reagan's kids BTW went to college and majored in whatever they wanted. He paid. He could.

Same with HW Bush - he pushed W throgh college using family connections and the legacy card all the while telling YOU that YOUR B STUDENT should go to the local CC!

But NO COLLEGE was good enough for "Gee Dubya". Other than Yale. Strange for a C- to D student.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
All campuses of the City University of New York were free to students with a B average until the 1970s, I think. It could have been earlier.
That's about right.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What Reagan did as opposed to what Long did.

Reagan's kids BTW went to college and majored in whatever they wanted. He paid. He could.

Same with HW Bush - he pushed W throgh college using family connections and the legacy card all the while telling YOU that YOUR B STUDENT should go to the local CC!

But NO COLLEGE was good enough for "Gee Dubya". Other than Yale. Strange for a C- to D student.

Obama was not an A student. How did he get to go where he did?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 PM

He wasn't a "D" student.

He was a transfer student. It's easier.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
College should not be free but it should not be nearly as high as what it is today.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
College costs have skyrocketed in the past ten or fifteen years in the United States. I think most people would agree that they should be lower, but how low and how they should be lowered would be pretty contentious issues.
This^^^ A lot of Americans think the costs should be kept low with taxpayer money. That isn't low cost at all. It just hides the true cost. I think higher education needs to be totally revamped. The way it is currently done is simply not cost effective. But the tenured professors will fight reform tooth and nail.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
He wasn't a "D" student.

He was a transfer student. It's easier.
How is being a transfer student easier? Transfer admissions are limited.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You don't have to be a minority or poor to get a free ride. Just being a good student, scoring high, and participating in ECs. It's not rocket science.

Has college expenses risen? Yes. This is why it's even more important to be an excellent student.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Either way, a full ride to school is very attainable for anyone who meets the requirements.
Sorry, this is just not true. I've put two kids through college; I know a few things about financial aid. My kids did all of the above and did not get a "free ride". In fact, most of the kids at the older one's college did all of the above. The younger one went to a large state u with the highest admissions requirements of any public u in the state.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry, this is just not true. I've put two kids through college; I know a few things about financial aid. My kids did all of the above and did not get a "free ride". In fact, most of the kids at the older one's college did all of the above. The younger one went to a large state u with the highest admissions requirements of any public u in the state.
So why didn't they get a full ride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities