U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM

68 posts, read 567,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
That is excellent advice, J-Man. I totally agree- that is exactly the situation I'm in right now. I went into college choosing English as a major with some vague notion that "I might go to law school." Well, 3 years later, after thinking that over and realizing that isn't what I want, and that I hate my major, I'm stuck in a rut right now. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get INTO finance. I'm thinking about getting a second bachelor's degree, or seeing if I can get in a master's degree program. Liberal arts degrees are worthless unless if you are DEAD CERTAIN you want to be either a teacher or a lawyer.
You shouldn't hate your major. English is certainly not the most marketable degree, but it has value. You've obviously done a lot of writing in school. The ability to write well is something that many businesspeople (who "have" degrees in business) don't even have. Still, you will need more than an English degree to get into finance. Many Liberal Arts degrees on their own have little market value in today's job market. But a Liberal Arts degree that is "supplemented" by specialized coursework and geared towards a specific job is another matter. That will have to be the angle for you if you want to get into finance.

A second Bachelor's degree is not needed, will involve unneeded courses, and will cost you extra time and money. Have you looked into Certificate programs? Many colleges are offering Post-Bachelor's Certificates these days. These programs are for people similar to yourself who already have a Bachelor's degree and are looking to break into a particular field, do a career change, etc. A finance certificate program is normally made up of ONLY the actual "finance" courses that someone earning a regular Bachelor's degree in finance would earn. In other words, you'd be completing a specialized concentration in finance coursework only. If you do a search, you'll find that these certificate programs are quite popular these days. Many are also structured for working adults. Another option, of course, would be an MBA with a Finance concentration, or perhaps a Master's in Finance, etc. But those will be more time consuming, and much more expensive in many cases.

No matter what option you take, you MUST do an internship, or perhaps two of them. The internship is just as important as whatever additional educational training you receive.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-03-2007, 12:04 PM

474 posts, read 1,701,822 times
Default A Combination Of Political Science And....

Dear Friends:

One employment that appears to be overlooked these days is employment in a U.S. Consulate. It is my guess that every large U.S. city has them. For example, the U.S. Consulate for Israel. (You choose a country). However, if one is a multi-linguist with also a Political Science degree - - it is my opinion that 'you' are set for a life time in the employment world. As a suggestion, someone proficient in English, Spanish & French. So you choose your own language combinations and then 'go for it'.

Carter Glass

Unread 10-04-2007, 12:36 AM

2,141 posts, read 4,973,245 times
I'm in sales and it seems many salespeople and sales managers have Political Science degree.

Unread 10-08-2007, 01:48 AM

261 posts, read 400,130 times
A Poli Sci degree? It's not very marketable. Personally, I think you will likely starve to death. Think about it this way. You could teach with a Poli Sci degree. You can teach with an Ed degree. Why major in two separate things that will basically allow you to do the same thing? Teaching. Make sense? Spread your wings, go for someone that may not force you down the same path.

Major in business and minor in English just for the practice in writing for Law School. Not sure who told you that you can't get into Law School with an Ed degree, but people in Law School majorin a range of things. There is no one "best" major.

All the Best!

Unread 10-14-2007, 11:45 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,028,503 times
My younger son is currently a junior working on his poli sci degree with the intent of taking the LSAT. I have a history degree from way back and I know I had quite a few profs trying to encourage me to take the LSAT, but I was never interested. Kind of regret it now in terms of perhaps lost opportunity.

Unread 10-14-2007, 11:54 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
My younger son is currently a junior working on his poli sci degree with the intent of taking the LSAT. I have a history degree from way back and I know I had quite a few profs trying to encourage me to take the LSAT, but I was never interested. Kind of regret it now in terms of perhaps lost opportunity.
It's not about taking a test; it's about whether or not you want to become an attorney as a profession. It is true that history, philosophy, political science, or English literature are good preparations for law school-- but all that doesn't matter if you don't truly want to practice law. The competition out there is fierce, so don't do it if your heart isn't in it. If it really is what you want to you, then you have to power your way through the competition. For a long time, I thought I "might as well be a lawyer," since I couldn't figure what else I would do with English, until I seriously researched the profession, and found out it wasn't my true calling.

Unread 10-16-2007, 04:51 AM

453 posts, read 1,449,230 times
a former co-worker of mine graduated with a political science degree and he's a polyurethane foam salesman.

Unread 10-17-2007, 04:41 PM

429 posts, read 1,976,525 times
My minor was Poli-Sci and I am in sales. Lots of people with BA's running around as sales reps now. But if you get in with the right company you can make more as a sales rep than you can as an accountant, engineer or any of the other people with professional degrees.

Unread 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM

2,800 posts, read 8,179,313 times
Work in the US Department of State as a Foreign Service Officer.

Unread 10-18-2007, 03:36 PM

219 posts, read 434,804 times
If you are not certain that you will become a lawyer, I wouldn't recommend a Political Science degree. Getting in the US government/consulate is not an easy task and with 5 children I doubt you will be picking up a moving across the world.

I majored in Criminal Justice thinking that I was going to law school. After paralegal school I realized I no longer wanted to be an attorney. Like others have said find a major that is marketable. If you decide not to go to law school, at least you will have a career/job. And not spend a lifetime paying back student loans working in something you hate. I wish someone would have given me that advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities