Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Graduated from SUNY-Oswego and transferred in from Michigan State University. I liked both schools, but I really ended up liking SUNY-Oswego more than I thought I would. I think it is kind of an underrated SUNY due to having a good Communications program, along with a good business/accounting program too. It is known for its Education program, but you can get a good education there in other fields of study. There have been a few famous people that attended and/or graduated from there too.
I think that for some reason Oswego is underrated. I'm not sure why. It's a great SUNY school and a great school in general.

Almost all SUNY schools began as wonderful centers of the training of teachers. And a few still emphasize that. However, even if that is your focus, it is more than possible to obtain a good liberal arts education at any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've never set foot on any of its campuses, except Plattsburgh, when I was in nearby Montreal. Really quaint campus and seemed like a very relaxing place to have gone to school.

I think the big SUNYs are Albany, Buffalo, Binghamton, and Stony Brook. I know the latter one is good for the sciences. I don't think any of them are difficult to be admitted into.
That's not true. They are all ranked from competitive to highly competitive. The ones you mention are the most difficult. Very to highly competitive. Look at Fisk's Guide.

New York State residents get no special privileges in regards to admissions at SUNY.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am surprised that people would think that SUNY does not offer study abroad programs. A friend of mine who is an Albany alum went to a study abroad program in France thirty years ago. BTW, I personally never attended SUNY.

I am too. It's just the general "Private Good" vs "Public Bad" perception of many that perpetuates such ideas.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am too. It's just the general "Private Good" vs "Public Bad" perception of many that perpetuates such ideas.
Agreed and it's a shame because SUNY schools are usually very good. Even the SUNY community colleges are better than the average community college in the US.

Once again though, people automatically assume that because they are public colleges & universities that they are 'lesser'.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM

506 posts, read 958,395 times
SUNY schools are pretty good from what I hear. They are good value schools that have great programs depending on which SUNY school you pick and what your major is. They're higher rated ones and lower rated ones. Geneso is supposed to be the best next to Binghamton from what I hear. CUNY colleges get dragged through the dirt and looked down upon from NYCers and NYS residents. They have a bad rep that goes back into the early 70s once they had open admissions. Their requirements for acceptance lowered making it easier for almost anyone to attend and the standard has been dropped from what it originally used to be. At least this is from what I hear. Hunter college doesn't look too bad imo.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

New York State residents get no special privileges in regards to admissions at SUNY.
What do you call in-state tuition?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Graduated from SUNY-Oswego and transferred in from Michigan State University. I liked both schools, but I really ended up liking SUNY-Oswego more than I thought I would. I think it is kind of an underrated SUNY due to having a good Communications program, along with a good business/accounting program too. It is known for its Education program, but you can get a good education there in other fields of study. There have been a few famous people that attended and/or graduated from there too.
All my friends from HS who wanted to party hard in college went to either SUNY Oswego or SUNY Oneonta lol. I never really heard too much about the schools other than they throw some wicked parties.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
SUNY Binghamton - Pros: Good professors, good facilities (once the current construction wave is finished), dirt cheap education, even as an out of state student, well regarded.

Cons: Weather is worse than Seattle, there is not a whole lot to do in the area, and student body is rather apathetic towards most things beyond academics.

Neutral: Student body is mostly NYC/LI/NJ, Jews and Asians both make up a large portion of the student body, I think Hillel (Jewish organization) is the largest group on campus. The Asians are usually rather insular. Partying + interesting things generally happen off campus. Good local public transportation system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities