Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would not rank many that you listed as they are irrelevant to your future.

Affordability
Ability to get the major you want
and
Job Placement

THESE matter!
In bold

You said affordability right after saying the criteria I chose were irrelevant an after you said they were irrelevant you did not put housing down which to me meant that along with everything else was irrelevant

And I apologize, I did say It was mine, but that is not my ONLY criteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
In bold

You said affordability right after saying the criteria I chose were irrelevant an after you said they were irrelevant you did not put housing down which to me meant that along with everything else was irrelevant

:::sigh:::

Do you even read what people write?
I said:
Quote:
I would not rank many that you listed as they are irrelevant to your future.
I would not rank many that you listed... NOT all that you listed. And I did NOT say which ones.

And, if you want to get picky, affordability IS different than cost.
Hopefully I don't need to explain that too...

Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,006 times
Quote:
And, if you want to get picky, affordability IS different than cost.
Hopefully I don't need to explain that too...
I like where this is going, let me grab some popcorn and I'd love to hear this explanation

Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Nope. I am in the mood for popcorn too... I'll leave everybody in the dark!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM

18 posts, read 28,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersdrift View Post
i think its really great that no mention of quality, faculty, class sizes or research opportunities are on there because driving and parking is much more important.

lol )

Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
My criteria were:

1 - as far away from my parents as I could possibly get
2 - party school
3 - good football team
4 - prestigious enough to brag to friends
5 - had the major I wanted...or any major, really.

How did it work out? Not so great....hated the school, the degree was pretty worthless in spite of the prestigious name, the football team sucked every year I was there, and I spent my first year throwing up a lot from drinking too much.

I should have chosen the small, cheap state university a few hours from home. Would have had more fun, less debt, and pretty much the same education. Also, it turns out no one wants to listen to me brag about my degrees anyway so I almost never talk about them unless I'm looking to give people reasons not to like me.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
For me, the main criteria were:

1) Reputation of engineering school (and general brand name I suppose)
2) Affordability and scholarships
3) Location and "vibe" of the campus
4) Well-roundedness of the university (because I like intelligent people of all academic interests)

Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
I was accepted at UT Austin ( computer engineering program ) and turned them down because I couldn't see myself living in Austin. I didn't like it at all. I still don't. The the city is certainly important to me. Other than that, it had to be affordable and a big University.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Criteria:

- cost
- availability of major and ranking/recognition of program in that major
- quality of instruction via class size and access to professors
- size of school (I think the ideal is 15,000 to 22,000 students +/-)
- urban or rural setting and your required proximity to family or relatives
- school's "personality" - this is a HUGE determinant; some schools will fit like a mitt and others like a glove

Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I was accepted at UT Austin ( computer engineering program ) and turned them down because I couldn't see myself living in Austin. I didn't like it at all. I still don't. The the city is certainly important to me. Other than that, it had to be affordable and a big University.
Why waste your money in applying then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities