Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Greek system on college campuses
They are fine and should be allowed on all campuses 22 35.48%
They should be determined on a campus by campus basis for conformance to their values 25 40.32%
They are ok for all campuses except religious ones 2 3.23%
They should not be allowed on most campuses 11 17.74%
Other - explain 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I went to a large state university and was a member of a sorority. What some people miss, especially those who were not active in the Greek system, is that being a member requires one to give back to their college and community through volunteering and fund raising. Yes, it's about friendship, a place to live while in college, maintaining a high GPA, etc, but an often overlooked purpose is service.

In addition, one makes lifelong friendships. I still have close friends from way back then (mid-70s). Another advantage is that wherever you move, you can look up your alum group and find a group of women to connect with, who continue to be active members of their communities.
Me too! Although I was a bit surprised at the amount of partying that went on - you also had to maintain a decent grade average and participate in volunteer activities.

It's definitely not for everyone - but I don't regret it.

I wouldn't want my son to join a really wild frat though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My D joined a sorority and I was happily surprised that she even wanted to. She is the "anti" everything girl and never had many female friends but after a year of living off campus with couple guys and being in a male dominated major she realized it was probably her best chance to meet a bunch of girls all at once so she went for it. It wasn't a good fit and she only lasted a year and a half but she did make some very good friends, most of whom also dropped out of the sorority after a year or two. She found her tribe among the quitters...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities