Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
this^^^^^^^^
Just because you agree with someone with no sources doesn't really help your side of the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Just look on their web site.The on line students do not need to abide by this, though. They are the "cash cow" for Liberty and they wouldn't want to offend them.

The statement of faith - sometimes called a "covenant" is present in most Fundamentalist Christian Colleges and it contains the following affirmations -

- Belief in God the Father, Jesus , and the Holy Spirt
- Belief that the Bible in the True and inerrant word of God to be taken literally ( bno evolution etc)`That all believers, Christians, are subject to the Great Commission to go forth to all Nations and proclaim Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and convert people to that brand of Christianity.
- Belief in pre-mileneallism "The Rapture of the Saints"

And social covenants -

- no social dancing
-no social drinking
- chastity

They are all pretty much the same.
I'm all about the truth so please post a link or something confirming this. If true I would like to know and I would not doubt some form of this agreement exists. But its not going to change my opinion about the school. Because its a Christian school I believe that's to be expected. I do know they have the social rules that on campus students have too abide by. While the social rules are dated they are no different then rules used by schools in the 1950's. And is that so bad? So many students waste time and money in college partying or chasing tail...LOL. At least LU sets some priority on why students are really there.

Baylor University has a similar no alcohol use policy. Link may not jump to page 37 so just scroll to it. http://www.baylor.edu/content/servic...113.pdf#page37

All I'm saying is LU's rep seems to be based on lots of hearsay. I like to believe a person is not defined by his/her place of birth or the school he or she attends. For me LU is just a building that has students. If someone is hateful before LU they will be hateful after. If they are open minded they will always be open minded. LU isn't some factory that pumps out mindless drones. But it does provide an education and that's why I attend.

I'm not very Christian. I believe most Christian's hide behind it and most Christian's lack critical thinking skills or use religion as a status symbol. I say they lack critical thinking skills because they can just end debates with its in the bible or something with no depth. Just look at this entire thread. I have clearly presented facts and links for most of my replies while most opinion's based on religious beliefs haven't. I'm not trying to offend anyone but its pretty noticeable.

Also I have seen the horror of what religion can do first hand and that has jaded me toward it. Once I heard a Army Chaplain say the Christian army is the only army that kills its own. It was a off hand comment and I'm sure plenty of armies kill there own. But the message was clear and makes sense.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-30-2012 at 04:04 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler View Post
Well they sure have offended me and I see no interest at any level to send help my way. I even contact the Director of online admissions, to his apparent own personal Inbox (at least that is what it said). Never heard from him, but did get a so-so email from another online advisor. The online advisors are all students working off some of their tuition. Getting it right, as far as learning the website, finding the "right" schedule of graduate courses the program requires is not even easy. In the program I was accepted into, even know it is an MA in Human Services:Health & Wellness, half of the courses come from the graduate nursing program. I am an RN with a graduate degree who combined my nursing experience and wellness/health certifications and opened up a wellness center where medical doctors refer clients to me. Having 20 years of critical care nursing experience and many top certifications in Health & Wellness, once I marketed my business it has done very well. There was a need there that I thought I could fill with my nursing background and wellness certifications. So I thought this program through Liberty would give me another graduate degree that is focused on the Human Services side of Health & Wellness. The program is totally accredited as is the university and the department the MA degree I was accepted into. However online learning is totally different to me. I need assistance getting registered, selecting the courses in the order the program requires, purchasing the books, learning the online web platform, etc. There is your own email system using the website for the university, all of this does not come natural for me, but getting somebody to show any interest in helping one get registered and just learning the basics has proven to be a nightmare. I was accepted nearly a year ago and after that year mark from the date you were accepted, if you have not taken any courses you have to reapply. So I am trying to get this done before the year is up. I did take the summer off for surgery, but just getting somebody on the phone who really shows an interest and sounds like they know what they are talking about has not worked out for me so far.
How did they offend you? From the sounds of it they have everything in place to make the process easier. I and two of my friends have successfully signed up for LU. I just knocked out my first semester and start another Jan 14th. Both my friends are all set to start jan 14th as well. It took maybe a couple days to get us all setup over the phone. You can even do everything online but that process can be confusing.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-30-2012 at 03:06 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 AM

Just wanted to put a couple things up about LU. Its rank is respectable and I hope it moves up as the years pass.

Three law graduates obtain state Supreme Court clerkships.
Three law graduates obtain state Supreme Court clerkships | Liberty University

Liberty University ranked 65 on the Regional University South Rankings on US News Best Colleges
Liberty University | Best College | US News

Forbes ranked it 584
http://www.forbes.com/colleges/liberty-university/

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-30-2012 at 05:23 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
For the MBA, Liberty doesn't require the GMAT, letters of recommendation, or an essay. They do, however, require at least a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.
Online MBA Admissions Requirements | Liberty University Online
CUNY and Cal State Bakersfield has similar admissions for there online program. I'm sure more Uni's have different admission standards for its online programs as well. I just don't have time to find them all. Just shows you LU isn't alone in this practice.

From CUNY's Website for admission to its Online M.S. in Business Management and Leadership program:

Admission Criteria
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a GPA of 3.0 or better to qualify for admission. Applicants with a variety of undergraduate majors and professional backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

Online M.S. in Business Management and Leadership | CUNY School of Professional Studies

Admission Requirements from Cal State Bakerfield website for its Online MSA program:

--Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited College or University
--Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter units (60 semester units) of the applicant’s undergraduate program
--Potential for success as demonstrated via the application packet

http://www.csub.edu/regional/html/msa_requirements.html

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-30-2012 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Just dropped in... but have you considered that the Universe (insert own belief system here) is presenting you with these difficulties to try to prevent you from going there?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Just dropped in... but have you considered that the Universe (insert own belief system here) is presenting you with these difficulties to try to prevent you from going there?
You know that could be it....LOL....the OP might need to find another school.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I was thinking the same exact thing!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:30 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Are all of the students at LU Christian? Or most of them?
The ones who live on campus are.

I am not sure why this debate rages on as it does. Liberty University is a place where right wing nuts can send their kids and know that they will not be exposed to anything different from what they know.
Pretty much different from the point of a university education.

The on-line veritable diploma mill is less "Christian" but I'd hazard a very educated guess and say that
most if not all of the people who attend LU's online grad school are right leaning Christians who do not care much about the reputation of their university.

Let me put it this way, I myself have 15 credits towards an MA in a field that studies such things. ( When we moved to PA, there was literally no university that had this major and I am not terribly comfortable with the concept of online education).

SO - if someone were to give me a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to LU - or credit for research I have already done, from LU and hand me their sheep skin - I'd hand it back.

Why go to such a reviled and polarizing school?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
The ones who live on campus are.

I am not sure why this debate rages on as it does. Liberty University is a place where right wing nuts can send their kids and know that they will not be exposed to anything different from what they know.
Pretty much different from the point of a university education.

The on-line veritable diploma mill is less "Christian" but I'd hazard a very educated guess and say that
most if not all of the people who attend LU's online grad school are right leaning Christians who do not care much about the reputation of their university.

Let me put it this way, I myself have 15 credits towards an MA in a field that studies such things. ( When we moved to PA, there was literally no university that had this major and I am not terribly comfortable with the concept of online education).

SO - if someone were to give me a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to LU - or credit for research I have already done, from LU and hand me their sheep skin - I'd hand it back.

Why go to such a reviled and polarizing school?
I disagree and I hope anyone that reads this entire thread can see your statements are based on opinions. LU is a ranked university on U.S. News and Forbes and even fields NCAA D1 teams. You should also look up what a diploma mil is because you misuse it by definition.

And I continue the debate because one day someone may search these threads for info about LU and I want factual info available. I just want something about LU not based on opinions and half truths. And you seem VERY comfortable judging things solely based on opinions and half truths.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-30-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities