Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 PM

18 posts, read 27,961 times

Advertisements

Hello friends,

I'm back again. Thank you everyone for your invaluable suggestions, ideas and support over my other threads and helping me choose my Colleges and as some of you might know me from my other thread and i've decided that Psychology isn't too great for me if you don't have the time to do a Ph.D and right now I really don't have the liberty to spend 5 years of my life studying with no guarantee of getting a good position or pay.

I already have a Bachelors in Engineering (Computer Science) & an M.B.A (Human Resources). Now, I seriously wanna do a Masters that will be helpful for me in the long run, keeping in mind that 2 years of graduate study should be enough to get that big job...

So, buckle up and kindly help me out 2day to choose a good major for me that is evergreen, useful, high in demand and pays a high salary. Keeping all these factors in mind, i want you to suggest me some best programs. I need to finalize my major by the end of the day, people...

Thank U in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,570,411 times
You already have two very useful degrees. If you can't get a good job with those degrees, then another will not help. Most likely if you can't find a job you are satisfied with then you need more experience, not more degrees.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Seriously? You're giving yourself less than 24 hours to settle on a major that will certainly determine how the next couple years of your life play out, and likely how the rest of your entire working life will play out?

Do you have any interests beyond making a lot of money with minimal educational effort?

I guess go to bls.gov and find careers that are in high demand and have high pay. Then sort through them and figure out what degrees those people have.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM

12,073 posts, read 23,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
You already have two very useful degrees. If you can't get a good job with those degrees, then another will not help. Most likely if you can't find a job you are satisfied with then you need more experience, not more degrees.

His degrees are from India, which is giving him cause for concern.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,964,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaladhar View Post
Hello friends,

I'm back again. Thank you everyone for your invaluable suggestions, ideas and support over my other threads and helping me choose my Colleges and as some of you might know me from my other thread and i've decided that Psychology isn't too great for me if you don't have the time to do a Ph.D and right now I really don't have the liberty to spend 5 years of my life studying with no guarantee of getting a good position or pay.

I already have a Bachelors in Engineering (Computer Science) & an M.B.A (Human Resources). Now, I seriously wanna do a Masters that will be helpful for me in the long run, keeping in mind that 2 years of graduate study should be enough to get that big job...

So, buckle up and kindly help me out 2day to choose a good major for me that is evergreen, useful, high in demand and pays a high salary. Keeping all these factors in mind, i want you to suggest me some best programs. I need to finalize my major by the end of the day, people...

Thank U in advance
What has your research told you?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post

Hey Marie, that was like a tight slap on my face.. lol.. Anyway, I do agree that I have two wonderful degrees but what's the use of having them when I wanna work in Canada or in the U.S.A? The bottomline is that my degrees are not recognized in those Countries since they are from INDIA (as JOE as rightly pointed out). I am trying to update myself in order to be in either of the 2 countries... Mostly, let's say Canada.

Last edited by kaladhar; 07-05-2012 at 02:40 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
His degrees are from India, which is giving him cause for concern.

Thank you, Joe... U are absolutely correct. Atleast, U can understand the dilemmas & issues that i'm facing

Last edited by kaladhar; 07-05-2012 at 02:38 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Seriously? You're giving yourself less than 24 hours to settle on a major that will certainly determine how the next couple years of your life play out, and likely how the rest of your entire working life will play out?
Jason, you are just seeing the posts that i'm making here but do you know what i'm doing behind the scenes? No, U obviously DON'T coz I'm going gaga deciding on my major and it's easy for you to criticize. Anyway, no worries coz i have finally decided on my major

Quote:
Do you have any interests beyond making a lot of money with minimal educational effort?
My my, Jason. Do you usually jump to serious faulty conclusions about someone so fast? With this slap, you disfigured my face and even broke all my teeth. lol. Anyway, I won't deny that i am not looking for a good-paying job eventually but i guess i'm not the only one on that cruise. Everyone wants to find the best of jobs, do their best to earn decent money to lead a comfy life right? Anyway, the bottom-line and i quote that "I'm very much interested to study now even after a 4-year hiatus and i always give my 100% in everything i do, whether it's my job or studies and anything else for that matter".

Quote:
I guess go to bls.gov and find careers that are in high demand and have high pay. Then sort through them and figure out what degrees those people have.

Thanks for the link, i'll look into it

Old 07-05-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What has your research told you?

Is that a trick question, minibrings? Anyway, to answer your question -

i've learnt to trust my instincts and to follow my heart
That you will have to make the decisions for yourself &
U gotta live with your choices for the rest of your life ..

Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 AM

Hi fellows, i've finally decided to go with a M.S. in MSW (Master of Social Work) in Canada...

These are my Top-16 Public Colleges in Canada:

University of Alberta, University of British Columbia, Brock University, Carleton University, McMaster University, Queen's University, Ryerson University, University of Guelph, University of Ottawa, University of Toronto, University of Waterloo, University of Western Ontario, University of Windsor, Wilfrid Laurier University, York University &
McGill University

Any further suggestions are welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities