U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,073,989 times
Default Taking a semester off

I'm planning on taking a semester off just to focus on working to get up my finances and than return back to school. However, I know the grace period is 6 months. What if I'm not attending summer school and skip out on the fall semester?? That would be over 6 months of not attending school. Is the summer included within the 6 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 AM

1,956 posts, read 2,160,023 times
is that a policy specific to your school? if so you should really ask them about it. did you already register for fall classes?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,423,294 times
You'll get a more accurate answer by asking your school rather than here, since policies can vary among universities.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 AM

4,466 posts, read 4,363,268 times
I have no idea what kind of grace period you are asking about.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM

10,969 posts, read 12,421,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I'm planning on taking a semester off just to focus on working to get up my finances and than return back to school. However, I know the grace period is 6 months. What if I'm not attending summer school and skip out on the fall semester?? That would be over 6 months of not attending school. Is the summer included within the 6 months?
What grace period?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM

86 posts, read 140,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What grace period?
I believe the Op is speaking about the 6 month "grace period" provided with federal student loans. When a student doesn't enroll in classes the following semester, they are given 6 months to get on their feet so to speak before student loan payments are first due. Loans still collect interest during this time, but they are not required to be paid.

If I were the OP, I wouldn't take a semester off beyond the summer. I know far too many people who haven't returned after doing so. Do yourself a favor, take even part-time classes (3 or 6 credits) just to stay in that "School Mode". It'll cost much less than full time and you can devote some more time to working and straightening finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities