Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM

506 posts, read 958,291 times

Advertisements

I'm going to start my last year at the two year school I'm at and have plans to graduate and transfer next years to a 4 year college to get a BA in Poli sci. I am wondering how many people are doing this route now or already have and received their degrees? I think this is a great route for people that want to save money and not go into debt after they are done with school. For instance, all of my schooling last year was covered and paid for by a pell grant that even covered my book expenses. This upcoming year I have about $2,000 more than what I got last year through another grant that I was lucky enough to get.

With that said,I keep thinking that if I had to do this college thing again I wish that I would have gone off to college right after hs. I would've been with my age group in terms of student body, and have that first independent feeling of being a teen on my own for the first time (I was hs class of 2008). Instead I choose to work for a year after school, and then go to school afterwards once it was brought up by an older coworker. At first I went to a bad for profit school for a year and then changed my major and went to a local CC. After a while of going to school again, I realized that my choice is probably better than what I originally intended, and I am saving thousands of dollars going this route.

Anyways, I just wanted to ask if anyone else is in my place when it comes down to community colleges and 2 year schools with plans of transfering to get a BA/BS? Whats your story like and what made you want to go back to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
I did it. In the state where I went (Florida), anyone with an AA from a community college and some minimal GPA was guaranteed entrance into a state university. (not sure if that's still true these days). I'm very glad I did it that way. I probably would have flunked out of UF my first semester if I had gone straight from high school just due to immaturity. Plus it was WAY cheaper.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
I feel like I saw that about 20% who start at CC transfer to a four year school. It's a great way to save money or make up for not doing great in HS and then be able to get into a better university by doing well in CC.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I feel like I saw that about 20% who start at CC transfer to a four year school. It's a great way to save money or make up for not doing great in HS and then be able to get into a better university by doing well in CC.
Thanks for the response. I agree too. I am doing better now than I ever did when I was in HS. It's a good 2nd chance to prove yourself.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Zara Ray, when you say that you are about to start your "final year" at your CC, you are also saying that you've just finished your first year, right? In our area, it's pretty common at the public U's to have kids doing two years at a local CC and then transfer in. In fact, the majority of Penn State's University campus grads do two years at a branch campus.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
I did. I think it's great way to save money.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Zara Ray, when you say that you are about to start your "final year" at your CC, you are also saying that you've just finished your first year, right? In our area, it's pretty common at the public U's to have kids doing two years at a local CC and then transfer in. In fact, the majority of Penn State's University campus grads do two years at a branch campus.
The majority? More transfer students graduate from PSU than kids who attended all four years?

Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The majority? More transfer students graduate from PSU than kids who attended all four years?
I remember hearing that when my son and I visited a branch campus a couple of years ago. Maybe I misheard it. They have 19 branch campuses and some of them are pretty darn big with over 4,000 students. I personally have only known one student that stayed all four years at a branch campus, all the rest have started at a branch and then gone on to Main.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, actually I am almost done with my required credits and all I have to do is finish up my math and one more science class. I am staying the rest of the year mostly due to a campus job working in students gov. that will give me some money during the year. I will be done with everything by the end of winter quarter if things go with the plan, and the rest will count as electives.

I'm not sure about the branch college thing. It sounds more like students wanted to go on to the main campus after two years of a branch school as opposed to going from a CC and then transferring to a 4 year school. I'm going to get a AA degree and then move onto a BA.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I remember hearing that when my son and I visited a branch campus a couple of years ago. Maybe I misheard it. They have 19 branch campuses and some of them are pretty darn big with over 4,000 students. I personally have only known one student that stayed all four years at a branch campus, all the rest have started at a branch and then gone on to Main.
Normally transfer students make up a small percentage of overall graduates from a large state university. PSU has a good amount of online programs so maybe that is how they are getting their degree the last two years. Doing the online program and not taking up many campus resources. I doubt the campus could handle an influx of so many transfer students for just two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities