U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM

6,223 posts, read 4,024,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
First, you absolutely do need to carry it everywhere. How can you take notes and do research in class if your laptop is somewhere else??

The idea of a light laptop is to make it feel like it's hardly there when you're not using it and there when you need it. Carrying around a brick when you're out and about all day gets really old. It's not about being in shape.

Clearly you aren't a fan of academics research, but UX research has shown that people like things to be lighter and more compact and these attributes add significant value to electronics. As a result, many items such as phones, cameras, and laptops are being designed to be less obtrusive when not in use. Dr. Corbett at CMU wrote an excellent piece on this several years ago. It was a research initiative funded by the NSF in collaboration with UPITT.
You take notes with something called a pen and paper; cheap and easy to carry, myself and many others have gone all the way through grad school using this method. Also, what research are you going to do during class? Be the "cool" person who looks on Wikipedia real quick to answer a question? Hardly a necessity, especially given the limited resources of the OP.

Speaking of limited resources, yes, in a world of unlimited resources, smaller is better. However, the OP has limited resources, so compromise is required when allotting the resources. The extra couple of pounds is not worth the hundreds of dollars in price the OP is going to fork over for a lighter laptop, especially given it is not a critical item for which the OP needs.

If the OP has money to blow, then by all means, the OP should just get what ever luxuries they want, I am all for that because I do that as well. But since the OP implies they have limited resources, they should spend those resources wisely and not on unnecessary items like an expensive laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM

20,293 posts, read 15,462,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You take notes with something called a pen and paper; cheap and easy to carry, myself and many others have gone all the way through grad school using this method. Also, what research are you going to do during class? Be the "cool" person who looks on Wikipedia real quick to answer a question? Hardly a necessity, especially given the limited resources of the OP.

Speaking of limited resources, yes, in a world of unlimited resources, smaller is better. However, the OP has limited resources, so compromise is required when allotting the resources. The extra couple of pounds is not worth the hundreds of dollars in price the OP is going to fork over for a lighter laptop, especially given it is not a critical item for which the OP needs.

If the OP has money to blow, then by all means, the OP should just get what ever luxuries they want, I am all for that because I do that as well. But since the OP implies they have limited resources, they should spend those resources wisely and not on unnecessary items like an expensive laptop.
When I was in class, I spent most the time on acm.org. We were constantly encouraged to go online and find papers to support out side of the argument in debates. College is not just regurgitation like highschool. You have to be active, argue a lot, prove points, etc. There's no time to go to the library in an impromptu debate.

I think our opinions differ on what is necessary. I feel that having the most adequate tool for taking notes, doing research, and contributing to class discussions is necessary while you feel it is unnecessary.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 PM

6,223 posts, read 4,024,969 times
So, in one class (or classes?), one that has a debate, and that class held a debate every session? And how long was this class each session? What university and class is this? I been to three universities including grad school, and I have not yet even encountered where a large number of classes where as you described, neither has my wife. Please state what university this is and the classes that are structured this way.

College is mostly regurgitation, anyone who has actually gone to college knows this. It is only a stereotype that it is as you described.

Of course you do not have time to go to the library for an impromptu debate, that is the whole point of it being impromptu.

And again, it goes back to resources for the OP; you are stating that it is worth hundreds of dollars to spend to save a couple of pounds, and that a computer is needed in the classroom. Believe it or not, most students do not bring a computer to class, and of those who do, most are just cruising the internet or playing a round of Civ 4. Go to any college in the country and you will see this.

What state are you in? I will direct you to a college and you can go around and peek into the classrooms and see for yourself.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, in one class (or classes?), one that has a debate, and that class held a debate every session? And how long was this class each session? What university and class is this? I been to three universities including grad school, and I have not yet even encountered where a large number of classes where as you described, neither has my wife. Please state what university this is and the classes that are structured this way.

College is mostly regurgitation, anyone who has actually gone to college knows this. It is only a stereotype that it is as you described.

Of course you do not have time to go to the library for an impromptu debate, that is the whole point of it being impromptu.
It was a lot of classes (undergrad) in the BSE program at Princeton U. A lot of the classes were HCI and software methodology classes. I even remember HEAVY discussions and debates in my economic theory classes. It is the only school that I have attended, but will be joining another one for grad school in 2013.

What is the point of going to a university if it's just textbook regurgitation? Anyone can read a textbook. The purpose of higher education is to learn what is NOT in books. Study brand new areas of topics that are currently developing and review recent case studies.

Well, that's my take based on my experience thus far. I'd never go to class without a laptop. I'm pretty sure a laptop is present in most classes at many universities today... and that mine isn't unique.

I should add that we work collaboratively on research projects with Rutgers and NJIT, and their students always have laptops on them... but I've never been with them in a classroom setting. Mostly in a research setting.

Last edited by NJBest; 07-03-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 AM

1,834 posts, read 1,430,656 times
Quote:
A MacBook is a regular laptop.
You know what I meant.

MacBooks are "special". You either have a MB or one of the other ones.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 AM

593 posts, read 622,389 times
Quote:
The purpose of higher education is to learn what is NOT in books.
But that doesn't mean that having a laptop during class magically makes you learn. If anything, I would think a laptop or ipad would be a HUGE distraction to actually using your brain and learning deductive reasoning and impromptu debating skills. Why learn or memorize anything at all if you can type fast and google an answer on the sly? It is addictive and some people cannot turn it off or say no to a quick game. Unless you are going to computer science classes (or engineering classes like you), I cannot fathom a class full of people on laptops.

Or actually I can...

I've taken a lot of classes where we all sit in front of computers to learn 3D animation, and it's really annoying when half or most of your class does not or cannot answer a question posed during the lecture part of the class because they are playing a game, surfing the web, or watching YouTube videos. Once, when the professor asked a question and nobody answered him, I looked behind me at the rest of the class, I swear they all looked like zombies staring at their screens.

To the OP, just get a laptop, seriously. My friend got a netbook and hated doing anything intensive on it. An ipad is great for quick things, but not writing papers and doing research. If cost is an issue, maybe look into a desktop computer, but there's nothing wrong with using pen and paper and most colleges have computer labs that are open late and it will also teach your student about time management (i.e. they can't wait until the last second to type a paper).

Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 AM

It seems we all more or less agree that a laptop is better than an iPad for a student. I agree with the previous poster in that you should not go with a netbook. Given limited resources, an ultrabook seems like a better buy than a macbook air.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:08 AM

312 posts, read 280,862 times
A laptop is the better choice. I see classmates that mess around on their ipads and tablets during class on the Internet (facebook, youtube) than actually using it for taking notes. As far as laptops go, Macs are more for design, art and "techie" based stuff, while it seems heavy writing and research is easier on non Mac laptop. I had to use Macs when I went to a design school and found them difficult to use and hard for writing assignments.

I prefer a pc over them and still do. Their version of word was confusing and the layout made it hard to find the options that I wanted to use for editing and adding things in. Although I would love a Mac book for it's security and the fact that it doesn't get viruses like a PC does. Anyways, you could always get an ipad for fun OP. I'm sure they are good for easy use during travelling and in between classes.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 AM

10,686 posts, read 8,494,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714
Airpint means that ipad can print to almost any printer there is.

That is several iOS's ago.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Brother, Cannon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, Samsung

All airprint enabled now. As are most computer labs at colleges
First of all I'm running IOS 5.1.1. If you would have taken the time the read your own link, you would've seen that a limited amount of printers work. They only work because the printer itself is wifi. So thus if a printer is part of a wifi network, does not mean it is wifi itself. Most printers people own are either connected to a router via a ethernet cable or connected to one of the computers via a usb cable. So on top of purchasing a Ipad the OP would also have to purchase a printer that has been verified to work with Airprint.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM

2,972 posts, read 3,570,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No no no, do NOT buy an iPad over a laptop. iPads are cool and all, but they do not compare to a laptop. Another thing, college freshman always talk about taking notes on a laptop, but honestly it's really just a pain in the ass. Get notebooks and write it, you'll retain the information easier and it's easier to get written down, less distractions and also it's easier to go back to.
Best advice so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities