Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times

Advertisements

I would also like to suggest that if you are getting Pell grants I would not do my audit for graduation in 2008. Once you have a bachelors you are no longer eligilbe for pell grants. You could switch or double major and continue recieving the pell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 12:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Default Update-- advice needed.

Ok... update here. I completed my first accounting class, "Financial Accounting" with an A+. Next semester I'm signed up for "Managerial Accounting." I am starting to feel more and more that accounting may in fact be the right career path for me. To be honest, accounting doesn't exactly blow me away with excitement-- but I feel like it's a profession that I could really develop some skills and knowledge in and get good at, if I choose to dedicate myself. And that's actually a first for me-- I'm feeling some motivation! One day the class instructor brought in a panel of 4 local accountants (including a forensic accountant and an accountant who went on to become the CEO of a company) to speak about the profession. I asked them about the relative merits of studying accounting vs. finance, and they all agreed that someone with an accounting background has a wider range of opportunities available than someone with a finance background. Of course, they are biased, but it's food for thought. I'm not totally sure which specific field within accounting I would go into. My understanding is I would probably start off doing auditing, which could lead to a wider range of positions down the road.

If and when I decide to commit to the accounting profession, I will want to go ALL THE WAY-- CPA. I will certainly try to get internships/work experience along the way while I'm pursuing my studies-- but I'm not going to cut myself short here. The goal will be to acquire whatever education is necessary to qualify to take the CPA exam, in the shortest and most cost effective manner possible. As to where I want to live after I graduate, what state I want to take the exam in, I'm not 100% sure (that's why I'm on city-data.com!), but I know for a fact I want to stay in the Western US: I would be happy living in either CA, NV, AZ, NM, or CO. As to the specific program I should go into to gain the necessary accounting credits, I have several questions:

Plan A: If an AACSB-accredited business school offers a 30 credit hour post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting-- would that be the best way to go? ASU west campus offers precisely that program. On their website, they even say, "You Can Still Be An Accountant-- No Matter What You Studied Before." Seemingly, that would be the most direct way to get to where I want to go. There are a bunch of other schools that also offer that program-- ASU west is just one I know off the top of my head. Main problem with the ASU west certificate is they charge GRADUATE tuition rates (even though most of the classes taken are actually junior/senior year accounting courses), and I am not an AZ resident for tuition purposes (out of state tution at ASU is a rip off).

Plan B: Is it possible for someone in my situation to go into a Masters of Science in Accounting degree? If I could get into a program like that, would that be the way to go? BTW, I've already taken the GMAT and scored a 690.

Plan C: Would getting a second bachelor's degree in accounting be a good or bad idea? That would cost me two years worth of tuition (even if I managed to speed up the program and knock of a semester's worth of time).

Plan D: Just so I know in the back of my mind-- what jobs, if any would I be able to get with just an English degree and the two intro. level accounting courses I will have finished by May 2008? How much do those jobs pay-- and is that even enough to live on?

Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

Plan B: Is it possible for someone in my situation to go into a Masters of Science in Accounting degree? If I could get into a program like that, would that be the way to go? BTW, I've already taken the GMAT and scored a 690.

Plan C: Would getting a second bachelor's degree in accounting be a good or bad idea? That would cost me two years worth of tuition (even if I managed to speed up the program and knock of a semester's worth of time).

Plan D: Just so I know in the back of my mind-- what jobs, if any would I be able to get with just an English degree and the two intro. level accounting courses I will have finished by May 2008? How much do those jobs pay-- and is that even enough to live on?
First of all, it's great to hear that you're on your way! Just some musings on our questions. Each school/program is different when in comes to graduate programs in Accounting. The only way to really find out is check out the websites or catalog's of the schools you are interested. Some absolutely require that you have an undergraduate accounting degree or core major coursework that an undergraduate accounting major would take. Other schools will admit you on a conditional basis...having you take the pre-requisites before full admission. Other schools will take graduate from all programs. I've notice that public universities tend to have more stringent requirements then the private ones.

Also, there are two common programs on the graduate level; Masters of Accounting and Masters of Taxation. Sometimes, the two programs will have different admission requirements.

Only you will know the answer (well perhaps an advisor can guide you) on the second bachelor's degree. You'll be tied to your school for a while longer. Some financial aid programs have time limits and will not cover a second degree. It will also help if you've narrowed down your choice of graduate programs because you may not need the undergraduate coursework. Also check the state requirements where you want to sit for the CPA exam. For example, the state of Florida requires not only 150 hours, but specific coursework in general business, business law, auditing and taxation...while other states are not so specific. You can see indidvidual state requirements by going to http://www.beckercpa.com/state/index.cfm

And finally with the job thing; you can become either and Accounting clerk/assistant (pay range that I've seen in FL & PA was around $30K per year) or a Accounts receivable/Accounts payable clerk (about the same pay range as assistant) or become a Full-charge Bookkeeper (pay range can be $25K - $40K {with experience}). I worked as a bookkeeper making $35K and I had no accounting background. I would suggest becoming a certified bookkeeper (I haven't done this, but I'm working on it) by going to http://www.aipb.org/certification_program.htm . You could also look (now) for jobs at HR Block and those places for tax preparation help during tax season.

Good luck

Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I have a bachelor's degree and I am back in school for a post-baccalaureate accounting program. Basically, I take 10 classes and then I can sit for the CPA exam.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,541 times
If you have a bachelor's degree in Finance from Inter American University of Puerto Rico and a Master of Accounting - (NSU) Nova southeastern University can you still sit for the CPA examination ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities