Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM

610 posts, read 3,008,996 times

Advertisements

Did anyone on here make the mistake of getting one? If so, what are doing now in terms of employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,412,134 times
LOL. You're really bitter about getting a degree in CJ. The best thing to do is to get into shape and apply at law enforcement agencies at all levels of government. Corrections might pay you a little extra for having a degree in just about anything and so will fire departments. I have no suggestions beyond that. It seems like everything else requires 10+ years of experience. You've probably seen my other suggestions in other threads: social services including Child/Adult Protective Services, insurance fraud investigation, and parole/probation.

Half of my degree was CJ. I'm being considered for a promotion that doesn't pay much more or even enough to keep me around. I'm still applying to a few jobs a week. Check with your state requirements. You might qualify to sit for the private investigator test.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM

366 posts, read 726,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Did anyone on here make the mistake of getting one? If so, what are doing now in terms of employment?
I'd suggest posting this on www.degreeinfo.com. You'll find a number of people with CJ degrees that might offer helpful suggestions.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM

I see you posted a thread in that forum.

Is a Criminal Justice degree worthless?

Just about everything everyone said in that thread could be said about any degree. You learn valuable stuff in every degree program. However, the majority of police departments pay an educational incentive for any degree. No one in that thread said that a CJ degree helped them land a job outside of law enforcement (or even in law enforcement) for which you don't even need a degree in CJ in most cases.

By the way, one of the guys in that thread defending his CJ degree has said before that his MBA from a for-profit has done more for him than his CJ degree from a non-profit. The guy even tried to talk me out of a career in law enforcement explaining how terrible it was for him. He had to get an MBA to get out of law enforcement (a very important lesson to learn here). Of course, he could have gone on to complete an MBA after majoring in English, Psychology, Philosophy, and countless other degree programs. So, if CJ is not worthless for all of the reasons mentioned in that thread, then no degree is worthless.

As far as the anecdotal evidence for law school, of course at least a few people with CJ degrees will get in. However, CJ majors are the lowest scorers on the LSAT and most law schools are filled with political science and economics majors.

Last edited by L210; 07-25-2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Thanks L210 for providing that link to my thread on degreeinfo. Can you also provide a link to the research that shows CJ majors scoring lower on the LSAT?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:35 PM

308 posts, read 893,755 times
Criminal Justice degree is a joke IMO.

a guy I know had the CJ degree and he is still working random jobs as a bouncer or security (talk about $12 an hour, night shifts) because he cant find a job -- more than 6 years out of school! of course its only one sample, but there is no smoke without fire.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,378,531 times
Insurance companies like criminal justice degrees. Investigator; special investigator, etc.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
Thanks L210 for providing that link to my thread on degreeinfo. Can you also provide a link to the research that shows CJ majors scoring lower on the LSAT?
Average LSAT Scores for 29 Majors with over 400 Students Taking the Exam
Legal Blog Watch
http://www.nmu.edu/sites/DrupalPhilo...nded_Major.pdf

Of course, there is probably selection bias. CJ is known as an easy major, so it's probably chosen more often by students who aren't capable of completing a harder major. On the other hand, an easy major is not going to help develop the analytical skills needed to score well on the LSAT.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM

OP, or anyone else interested, you may wish to check out this website: www.criminaljusticeonlineblog.com

Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,415,744 times
Generally speaking for most of us, I think a business degree is more marketable to a potential employer than a typical criminal justice degree, with few exceptions of working in government (state, local or federal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities