Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,840,100 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm trying to debate between two programs to enroll in for next year (Fall 2013). I have no nursing background. Initially I was starting my own business, however because of my son and other engagements that's sort of been placed on the back-burner(though I still free-lance and blog). I've had interest in nursing since I was pregnant with my son. Since then I've been doing research on whether or not it would be a good career move for me. I'm currently a SAHM, but planning on going back to full time work by the time my son is 4/5. I wasn't very passionate about my previous career and I knew that I most likely would leave the field. So here I am. I have two choices: enroll in an accelerated bachelors-to-BSN program to become a nurse or enroll in a masters nursing program. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. From what I've been told some nurses that have masters but have no "experience" in the nursing field upon graduating may have had difficulty getting their foot in the door and may very well have to start off the same way a BSN would start off(financially and career-wise). On the other hand getting a masters may be the better move. If I started the accelerated program I would start it in spring of this year, if I do the masters it would be fall of next year, but I'd have to take the GRE, and Pre-reqs(most likely have to take them this year at the community college). For the BSN I wouldn't have to take pre-reqs or the GRE. I'm undecided about what the best move would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
As I understand it, in these master's programs for non-nurses, the first part of the program is geared towards the student getting their nursing basics. I believe it's a kind of BSN/MSN combined program. I have no idea about job prospects. Perhaps you could talk to your intended school about what former students are doing.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As I understand it, in these master's programs for non-nurses, the first part of the program is geared towards the student getting their nursing basics. I believe it's a kind of BSN/MSN combined program. I have no idea about job prospects. Perhaps you could talk to your intended school about what former students are doing.
Yep that is what it is looking like. I'm going to an information session for Vanderbilt on Friday(they have a masters pre-specialty entry for people like me).

Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,484,615 times
I was going to say make sure it's a quality program but you answered that with Vandy. Would your masters classes potentially count towards a DNP degree if you went after that in the future?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I was going to say make sure it's a quality program but you answered that with Vandy. Would your masters classes potentially count towards a DNP degree if you went after that in the future?
I am going for advanced nursing practitioner and Vandy has that program for those with non-nursing backgrounds. I'm not sure about the bolded, I will ask that during the information session on Friday.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
My educated guess would be that the courses for a master's don't count towards a doctorate, but they may be pre-reqs.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,484,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
I am going for advanced nursing practitioner and Vandy has that program for those with non-nursing backgrounds. I'm not sure about the bolded, I will ask that during the information session on Friday.
Doctorate in Nursing Practice is going to be the standard for a NP shortly. I'm not sure how many more years a school can have it as a masters level degree.

Doctor of Nursing Practice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,571,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornation View Post
doctorate in nursing practice is going to be the standard for a np shortly. I'm not sure how many more years a school can have it as a masters level degree.

doctor of nursing practice - wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities