Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM

131 posts, read 281,899 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this program is still in existence and why people are not taking full advantage of it?
Free MBA at Wake Forest for Minority Students
Great opportunity going to waste....perhaps there aren't many people who know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,480 times
I was surprised to see Wake called a "top graduate school," when, in fact, it has a very small presence in the world of graduate education and a very limited set of programs. Most people in NC would, I believe, consider it for graduate work only if they were unable to get into Carolina or Duke. Moreover, why would Wake tolerate the existence of such a blatantly, overtly, offensively racist program -- race-based assistance rather than merit-based or need-based? Doesn't speak well at all for Wake in my opinion.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
I wonder if this program is still in existence and why people are not taking full advantage of it?
Call the university and see!
Blogs are often not very accurate/timely for this kind of info....

Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Call the university and see!
Blogs are often not very accurate/timely for this kind of info....
I emailed the P.O.C. for a response. Hopefully he'll respond soon.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM

57 posts, read 252,581 times
It's not an MBA. In the letter included is states Masters of Art.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
It's not an MBA. In the letter included is states Masters of Art.
It is in fact a MBA program. It's a recruiting tool for corporations that are looking to diversify. They'll pay you to go through school, complete an MA degree, work for them for 2 years and then complete the MBA portion. It sounds like it's a 3 year committment to get the MBA. Cost to you $0 and you make money, get 2 degrees, and valuable job experience while doing it. Sounds like a win win to me.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I was surprised to see Wake called a "top graduate school," when, in fact, it has a very small presence in the world of graduate education and a very limited set of programs. Most people in NC would, I believe, consider it for graduate work only if they were unable to get into Carolina or Duke. Moreover, why would Wake tolerate the existence of such a blatantly, overtly, offensively racist program -- race-based assistance rather than merit-based or need-based? Doesn't speak well at all for Wake in my opinion.
Although it's opinionated....U.S. News and World Reports ranks WFU higher than Chapel Hill. It's a top 25 institution nationally. So I'm sure the graduate programs ranks pretty good. IJS!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 AM

MBA -- evidently, you're thinking "graduate" but looking at stats about "undergraduate." WFU barely has a graduate program. For example, you cannot get a PhD in English, or in mathematics, or in French, or in history, or in any number of other areas. Wake has virtually no presence as a graduate institution except for a few PhD programs through the medical school, which are not particularly good. It is therefore not "a top graduate school."

Edit -- don't take my word for it -- look in the list of Carnegie I institutions: there are only three in NC (Duke, Carolina, and State); these are the "top graduate schools" in NC.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 08-20-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
There are many scholarship programs targeted at many different groups of students, including students from specific religious groups, ethnicities, racial groups, etc. Some of these scholarships are funded by groups to support students to extend opportunities to people from a specific heritage like scholarships funded by the National Italian American Foundation or the Irish-American Cultural Institute. In other instances, there are scholarships targeted to groups such as women or minorities that have been traditionally underrepresented in higher education for various reasons, which is what the Wake program sounds like it is attempting to do. I can understand feeling frustrated at not getting the opportunity that might be available to someone else, but I think there is a need to look at the intent and historical background involved in deciding to establish the scholarship before tagging it as "racist", especially in a region of the country where just 50-60 years ago the national guard needed to nationalized to allow people of a certain race to even be allowed in the school.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRobertStephens View Post
especially in a region of the country where just 50-60 years ago the national guard needed to nationalized to allow people of a certain race to even be allowed in the school.
Rubbish! Absolute, historically ignorant rubbish! This was never the case in North Carolina; the NC National Guard was never nationalized to compel any university in the state to admit Black students. North Carolina is no more a part of "that region of the country" than Ohio is, and probably less so culturally. Check your history, and read about Governor Terry Sanford. Also read about Wake, Duke, and Davidson working together through the Legislature to try to eliminate public university-level education in NC (meaning UNC and NCSU) around the turn of the 20th century.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 08-21-2012 at 04:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities