Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:19 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,427 times

Advertisements

GRE is similiar to old SAT (early 90's version). It is much harder than new version. My advise is practice and practice. I took three years ago and I study about three months. For most programs, 1300 is very good score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:09 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,016 times
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to update my original post. I finally took the GRE, and to my surprise, it wasn't as hard as I expected. Somehow, a lot of the math skills that I learned from high school and undergrad are still retained in my little ole' brain. In fact, I was amazed at how some of the information rushed back. I didn't do as well as I'd have liked on the verbal part. I grilled myself with flashcards from the Kaplan GRE prep book. I bought the 2008 version and it really helped me to prepare.

I agree that the GRE is harder than the SAT. It seemed as though the verbal section was much harder, but the math part wasn't much different.

All in all, I'm fine with my score. I should stand a good chance of getting into grad school. Thank you all for your responses as they did help me out

Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
IT is practically the same as the SAT.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,463 times
I confess I took it several years ago. In the 90s. But I thought it was so easy! I had recently taken the LSAT and the analytical reasoning was like a dumbed down version of the LSAT. And ... my scores were so high, quite a bit higher than my SAT scores. I also thought the GRE was easier than the SAT. But I think it was mainly the contrast to the LSAT that made it seem so easy to me.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 AM

25 posts, read 144,489 times
Are you Chinese guy, I saw before A lot of Chinese students who would like to apply some US university for further education, A high GRE score is a MUST-BE, and they always read and keep a lot of never-used word in the mind, it 's really a terrible nightmare for them but A red book (a book with red cover) is truely helpful, but If you are a American native, I think the GRE is nothing ...

Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 PM

468 posts, read 1,636,954 times
I had a math intensive major in college, and a lot of my friends took the GRE. A few of those rocked the math part (I guess its up to and not including calculus) and suffered horribly on the english part. So my suggestion? Learn Latin or begin reviewing flash cards.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 27,890 times
I took it and scored 1600 out of 1600 and never studied for it. I say this not to brag but simply to tell you that it's impossible for others to "tell" you how difficult it is. For some, it isn't much of a challenge, and for others, the challenge is enormous.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
It's a little harder than the SAT, but not much.
I took it many years ago so it may have changed a lot since then, but this was my impression too. Like nativeDallasite said, a little tougher than SAT but not much. If I recall, my scores were very similar to what I made on the SAT. (But I took it right as I graduated from college because I was advised that you usually scored better then.)

Old 09-27-2008, 07:17 AM

268 posts, read 1,049,780 times
The GRE, and prepping for it, is important if you are concerned about getting in to some tough to get into schools which have a high applicant pool, or are trying to get scholarships/stipends. Most other grad schools (of the lower tier) are just happy to get applicants. So you have to decide if getting into a top-tier grad school or scholarships are important - if it is, a 2-3 month prep (with full practice exams about every other week) trying to bolster your weak points.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM

325 posts, read 2,994,719 times
Keep in mind that you took the SAT in high school, whereas you're taking the GRE in college. The SAT seems harder because you remember it that way. As a college student you've picked up a lot a lot of experience in both math and grammar/vocabulary. Hence it would seem to be easier. Whether it is or not, I don't really know. By the time I took the GRE, I had already taken the MCAT, DAT, and GMAT. Each of those exams had a math and/or verbal and/or writing section. So each subsequent exam seemed easier than it ought to have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities