Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,376 times

Advertisements

So, I've been thinking things over and I've been pretty lost up until now on the major I want to choose and go for. I'm approaching my second year in a month and up until now I've been doing Computer Science.

I've considered this from all angles, this whole "getting the degree you want" thing. I don't have any particular passion for any subjects and I'm great with computers, but I dislike coding and I don't want to spend the rest of my life behind a computer.

So I basically decided after my first year that I really don't want to do a computer science major. I also didn't want to get anything related to "liberal arts" or philosophy, or any degree that I consider "useless" in today's world. A business degree isn't really optimal either, it's too overused in my opinion and you don't differentiate yourself with a degree like that. Premed, lawyer - these things aren't for me, and they're way too competitive to even jump into to make a worthy salary with all the work and money put IMO. It's for some people, just not me.

So this is my "plan":
I want to go for a Information Management Technology Bachelor's degree, possibly higher. Not original, I know. Don't be so quick to flame, although I do want honest opinions.

Why go for a degree like that, since it falls more under business and is what I earlier classified as "useless"?

This is my reasoning: in pursuit of a Computer Science degree, you would have to put in an inordinate amount of hours as you get through the third year and afterward. With something like an Information Management degree, I get some basic knowledge, BUT I have the time out of my day to NETWORK and get some EXPERIENCE on the field (provided I can find an internship or something like that)

Something time consuming like computer science, or biomedical engineering, or anything related to computers since those are my options, usually require many, many hours of work and I wouldn't have the chance to actually get my foot in the door later by earning experience during my sophomore, junior and senior year.

By the time I finish getting my degree, I'd have filled some requirements and I hopefully wouldn't have too much trouble finding a job assuming the experience I've had. Meanwhile, Computer Science majors would be stuck without experience, but just a degree in their hands. Yes, they would have valuable information, but it'd be tougher for them to get started and they would likely start at the same position I would. Except I'd be years ahead of them.

That's it. What do you guys think? Terrible idea, good idea? I'm trying my best to come up with what interests me. I don't want to be burned down in flames later because I pursued a degree I shouldn't have.

So I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say. Maybe some of you had some experience in the IT field and could lead me in the right direction. Anyway, sorry for the wall of text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 PM

809 posts, read 1,329,901 times
Computer science majors are in almost every imaginable industry, from banking, to pharmaceuticals, healthcare, roadways, communications, aereospace, schools, automotive industry, etc.

I know of students that started interning as early as 2nd semester of their freshman year- just a few hours a week.
With a computer science degree you could be a network admin, software developer, Info Tech (which you spoke of), application developer, a consultant, a developement engineer and the list goes on and on.

Have you spoken to students at your school that graduated with either major? Have you spoken to career services to find out what internships students have had or where they are employed after graduation? The profs in the dept. may be able to provide this info as well.

I am not exactly sure what you meant by," you would have to put in an inordinate amount of hours as you get through the third year and afterward. With something like an Information Management degree, I get some basic knowledge, BUT I have the time out of my day to NETWORK and get some EXPERIENCE on the field (provided I can find an internship or something like that)."

My opinion is that hard work pays off- you can always find an internship- it just may take lots of effort on your part as well as alot of time to complete the internship usually without pay, but it is doable and usually a pay off in the end. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,581,906 times
Some of my friends just graduated with degrees in computer science and computer engineering. They got good jobs right out of school and always had internships during the summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities