Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 63,992 times

Advertisements

I left school after sophomore yr because of medical reasons I'd prefer not to get into. Let's say I wasn't well enough to keep studying.

At 24, I'm finally going back. Obviously, like any other student, I want to participate in the social aspect of college as well. I want all of the fun that comes with college. But all of my friends have graduated and left. At 24, will I be too old to fit in and be social? Will people be like, "Man, who's that old guy," and not hang out with me? I know college is about studying and preparing for success in the real world, but it's unrealistic to not expect having a social life as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM

131 posts, read 281,936 times
At 24 your social life should be the least of your concerns. Leave that to the young guys who trying to get their first real girlfriend. Fitting in won't be an issue, you're going to see undergrads your age and older. You have two years and these are the most important two years as an undergrad, so focus solely on academics and boosting that GPA into the ionosphere. With that being said, you'll have plenty of opportunities to hang out during your down times. Even someone my age(undisclosed) finds time to "let my hair down" every so often. I take a day or so every two weeks and call it "me time". ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 63,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
At 24 your social life should be the least of your concerns. Leave that to the young guys who trying to get their first real girlfriend. Fitting in won't be an issue, you're going to see undergrads your age and older. You have two years and these are the most important two years as an undergrad, so focus solely on academics and boosting that GPA into the ionosphere. With that being said, you'll have plenty of opportunities to hang out during your down times. Even someone my age(undisclosed) finds time to "let my hair down" every so often. I take a day or so every two weeks and call it "me time". ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS.
I'll take care of the academics part. That's not what I was asking about. I appreciate the advice, but you aren't my dad.

I was asking about social life.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 PM

308 posts, read 896,688 times
what the hell is the difference between a 21 and a 24 year old anyway? if anything, you may seem "more serious" and "more polished" than your classmates, so the girls might like that...

at the University of Minnesota we had plenty of "grown ups" on campus, including a guy in his early 30s who was literally the soul of every party and scored tons of hot chicks.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Twenty four is hardly old, most 24 year olds look like 18 year olds, or 21 year olds, I cannot tell the difference.

Anyway, you can legally drink, that itself will separate you from half the university (assuming you drink, just an example really). You can go to bars and get hammered while the under 21 crowd have to find sneaky ways to do it; and being over 21, you do not want to be around people drinking under age.

I agree with the poster above, social life should be the least of your concerns, people either will like you, or they will not, you are there to receive an education and make it into a career, not socialize. I went to college when I was older than you, socializing was the least of my concerns, I do not really see the big deal about socializing in college, probably the most overrated hypes regarding college.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times
I don't think it will matter at all. No one is probably even going to know you're older than them unless you tell them.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Unless you are hanging out with freshmen, I don't see your age being that big of a deal. Will you be living on campus?

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,102 times
I just graduated college a couple months ago. There was a guy in my major who transfered in at the start of my junior year. He was 24 at the time, so pretty much in the same situation as you.

He didn't know anyone when he transfered here, so he instantly got involved in one of the organizations for our major. We were a pretty close group so by joining in, he had an instant group of people to hang out with, both during classes and on the weekends. He became one of my best friends over the past two years, and he was always the life of the party. I went out with him more than anyone else. Sure we cracked a few jokes about him being an old man, but most of the time I completely forgot he was a couple years my senior.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0006 View Post
I left school after sophomore yr because of medical reasons I'd prefer not to get into. Let's say I wasn't well enough to keep studying.

At 24, I'm finally going back. Obviously, like any other student, I want to participate in the social aspect of college as well. I want all of the fun that comes with college. But all of my friends have graduated and left. At 24, will I be too old to fit in and be social? Will people be like, "Man, who's that old guy," and not hang out with me? I know college is about studying and preparing for success in the real world, but it's unrealistic to not expect having a social life as well.
You'll be fine. A lot of people go back to school at your age and older. One of my best friends went back as a freshman at 24 and fits in just fine. As long as you don't mind hanging out with people a few years younger than you, you can pretty much have a regular college life. I do want to re-iterate what the above poster said, and focus on your academics. The "college life" of getting hammered senseless is not everything it seems and can really come back to bite you later in life. I just turned 27 and am having a difficult time getting on my feet because I wasn't responsible at age 23. That doesn't mean you can't go out and have fun, just be sensible about it and keep a healthy study/social balance.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM

131 posts, read 281,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0006 View Post
I'll take care of the academics part. That's not what I was asking about. I appreciate the advice, but you aren't my dad.

I was asking about social life.
That was why I threw in the part about having plenty of time to hang out. I wasn't trying to be your dad, just trying to offer a little wisdom. I wish I were 24 again...you're lucky my friend. When I was 24, the internet was something few people knew about....so I wouldn't even be having this convo, I'd have to figure it out on my own. You'll be fine....Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities