Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM

88 posts, read 149,577 times

Advertisements

I hope it's my friend's misconception. However, I still feel the stress. Thanks for all the posts above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
Please don't stress yourself out before you begin. If you start class already assuming she is a racist...every little slight thing she does you will wonder if it's racist or anti-immigrant.

Maybe your friend is over analyzing the professors actions?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Do what you're supposed to do and document everything. You will probably be fine, if you're already doing fine.

Yes, there are a lot of TURDS in academia. A lot of them. Those who are the gate-keepers in "ivory tower" fields of study and/or the doctorate level are the worst!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
Why are so many people in academia so weird? I can't imagine how these people function in the real world. I'm thinking mostly about my Psychology/ HR professor, other Psychology professor, and History types. Most accounting or computer-ey professors seem sane and on this earth.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Why are so many people in academia so weird? I can't imagine how these people function in the real world. I'm thinking mostly about my Psychology/ HR professor, other Psychology professor, and History types. Most accounting or computer-ey professors seem sane and on this earth.
I just started a thread asking this question.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM

I started my practicum at the beginning of September. It became one of the worst experiences in my life. The professor is so mean, discouraging, humiliating, and intimidating. She picked on me and a Muslim girl. She always yelled at or blamed me in front of everybody. She picked every little thing on me and always blamed me and threatened that I was going to be failed. She made stories to blame me for mistakes that I didn't make. Then she told the staff on the unit that how bad I was.
She didn't allow me to ask questions because that meant I was not prepared; I didn't take the initiative to learn; and I didn't meet competency xx,xx,xx. She spent 10 hours on the past weekend to list the incidents or errors I made in the clinical. Then on the first day of the third week, as soon as I arrived, she forced me and lured me to sign each page of my poor performance. She said, "If you refuse to sign any of this page, you have to leave right away. Some students signed this with me, and they passed the final term." I wanted to stay and learn so despite of the untrue stories she wrote about me, I signed everything. Then she watched me for the whole shift that day picking on everything. Then at the end of the shift, she told me you could not come to clinical any more because you didn't meet the competencies.
I cried at home and I wanted to give up many times not because of the fear of fail but because of the professor's abusive behavior. When she told me I could not come to the clinical any more, I felt so relieved. Isn't that strange? The clinical was like a concentration camp. My fellow students are either counting down the days in clinical or cry at home.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Not in my experience. Lots of really weird dudes that wouldn't fit in at PricewaterhouseCoopers or Microsoft.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM

My professor likes to lie. For example, I had two patients in a shift. I prepared and dispensed medication to the first patient. Then I prepared and was going to dispense medication for the second patient. I brought in the MAR(medication administration records) binder where both patients' MAR is in with the second patient's MAR on the top. There were also dividers between the two patients' MAR. My professor then wrote that I prepared and dispensed medication for two patients at the same time. What a liar!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 PM

When my buddy nurse was showing me the IV policy in the computer, my professor came to me and said, "this is supposed to be my job. You are abusing her (my buddy nurse) because she has her own things to do." She then closed the window screen on the computer. When I turned around and was going to leave, I heard my professor blaming me to my buddy nurse, "So absent-minded!" It was in then nursing station. Many nurses, doctors, therapists, visitors, and house-keepers were there or passing by.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I would see how she treats you first before letting this stress you out. Your best defense is to do exceptionally well in the clinical. Let her see your intelligence and dedication to learning. Always be polite and respectful even if you see her as wrong. That way if you do receive a lesser grade than you deserve you have grounds to contest the mark. If you do very well in the course she will have no reason to find fault with you. Also I wouldn't go into the course with any preconceived notion that she is hard on students that happen to be immigrants. Other students experiences may differ from your own. Concentrate on doing your very best, work hard, smile be friendly and you will do fine. Best of luck.
Great Advice! Listen to todd00!
Your experience maybe different, specially if you are on top of your game.
Your friend may not have been prepared and your prof's treatment may not be different towards any other American student either. You have to remember, your profession deals with people's lives and a prof can't stress enough to be on top of your skills. You have to remember that in the future, when you're out in the real world, your patients will be someone's mother, father, brother, sister, wife,gf,bf, sons, daughters, grandma, grandpa ect. so you have to be on top of your skills.
Study hard, practice, practice, practice for the clinicals. You might want to role play with your classmates, taking turns being patients if patients will be involve in this part of the exam. Good luck and be confident, go through it and do not be afraid and you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities