Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It is all relative to income. 50k in loan debt is not a lot if you make 100k.
You're arguing with someone who's already decided they aren't going to college and is now making any excuse they can to justify their ignorance through life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You're arguing with someone who's already decided they aren't going to college and is now making any excuse they can to justify their ignorance through life.
I am in community college but not going to a university. I'm just going to go as far as getting my AA degree which will be in May. The fact that my fiancee and I are going to start a family within the next few years is a reason for me not go to university. However I wouldn't mind going to a university to get a degree in real estate but that'll probably be in the far future.

Do you consider anyone who doesn't want to go to college to be ignorant?

Last edited by 90sman; 10-26-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It is all relative to income. 50k in loan debt is not a lot if you make 100k.
A lot of people I know who went to college are still jobless and living at home at past 23. Many of them are also working at what they consider to be "mediocre jobs".

I also already have a job as a carpenter and am making ample money through this. But I wouldn't mind being one or working as a plumber or an electrician, etc for the rest of my life. They're jobs that can't get shipped overseas.

There are also lots of other jobs people can get without degrees in my state and region of the country.

It is great if someone can afford to go to college, but most people can't afford it. Most of my graduating class who went straight to university were from wealthy families so they don't have to worry about debt as much as the average middle or lower class person does.

Last edited by 90sman; 10-26-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 04:31 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Putting it another way, I didn't use one second of my 6 quarters of calculus or hundreds of hours of studying physics, chemistry, etc. I'm just sayin...

Maybe you were in the wrong jobs?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Tuition is having a correction. It's been extremely cheap (relatively) in the past few decades. We're now seeing tuition rise to more adequate levels.

The problem is not tuition. The problem is the down-spending of funds on administration.

Tuition is rising because politicians are diverting taxpayer money previously spent on state universities to other welfare/entitlement programs.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Part of the problem is that there is no bankruptcy protections for students. Loan comapnies, school, etc take advantage of this.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A lot of people I know who went to college are still jobless and living at home at past 23. Many of them are also working at what they consider to be "mediocre jobs".

I also already have a job as a carpenter and am making ample money through this. But I wouldn't mind being one or working as a plumber or an electrician, etc for the rest of my life. They're jobs that can't get shipped overseas.

There are also lots of other jobs people can get without degrees in my state and region of the country.

That is almost the same story that I heard 35 years ago.

My friends were all working at the local GM plant right out of high school. They were all making $30-35k right away and living a pretty healthy lifestyle. They were all teasing those of us in school as we were spending a lot of money on school and were making about half of what they were making. (My father had worked at the plant when he was out of high school and told me to steer clear.)

Then, something happened. GM closed the plant moving the production to another plant. Since they were low in seniority, they had no other opportunities to relocate to another GM plant. And since they had a pretty high lifestyle and limited marketable skills, a lot of them to this day are not making all that much.

Meanwhile, many of us are doing a whole lot better and have for years.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is almost the same story that I heard 35 years ago.

My friends were all working at the local GM plant right out of high school. They were all making $30-35k right away and living a pretty healthy lifestyle. They were all teasing those of us in school as we were spending a lot of money on school and were making about half of what they were making. (My father had worked at the plant when he was out of high school and told me to steer clear.)

Then, something happened. GM closed the plant moving the production to another plant. Since they were low in seniority, they had no other opportunities to relocate to another GM plant. And since they had a pretty high lifestyle and limited marketable skills, a lot of them to this day are not making all that much.

Meanwhile, many of us are doing a whole lot better and have for years.
That was 35 years ago. College wasn't as expensive then like it is today.

I think things like art and cooking schools are a scam. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of paper to prove that you can cook or draw. It's ridiculous.

Also, there are useless majors such as English literature, fine arts, and Spanish etc. What kind of a job can you expect to get with those kinds of degrees?

Life and job experience matter more than a college degree or at least I think so. Most of the classes I would have to take at a university wouldn't translate into carpentry. There are also aren't really any majors that interest me besides real estate anyway. Astrology's another one but I would have to take too many higher level math classes.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
The important thing isn't necessarily what you're doing at age 23. It's what you're doing for your whole life.

At age 23 I was barely making a living. But at age 33 I was doing quite well, by age 43 I had passed $100k a year in income, and now at 50 I make almost $150k. I would never have reached where I am without college.

Sure in the early years my student loans seemed high. But as my career progressed they were less and less of a burden, until one day they were so trivial I paid them off without a second thought.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 10,486 times
If you know jack about making money and saving it you can pay off 25k and the interest in 3 years, easily. but you are right, a 4 college education isn't worth jack these days, except for getting some gov't job. Consider going for just 2 years, tho, for a 4 year degree, after studying for and passing the CLEP test, or just getting a 2 year vocational degree of some sort. Either way, you can have the use of 24k of loan money, if you are careful about your classes and school. You can get $5500 a year of Pell grant for tuition and books and other fees, which covers 2 semesters at almost any junior college, and the grant does not need to be repaid. it's a great deal, IF you know what to do with that loan money. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities