Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM

506 posts, read 955,899 times

Advertisements

This is going to be a "spinoff" to my LAC vs Big Universities thread I made a month and a half back.

Most women college seem to be a LAC which I already had plans applying for in the near future. Has any of the city-data women attend a women's college? If so what was your experiences like? How did you feel about attending a school with no guys? Did you have a relationship life outside of school?

I'm wondering because I am looking at a few schools to apply to like Barnard, Smith college, and Simmons college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM

427 posts, read 1,385,603 times
I went to all women's college, although it is closed now. I attended Marymount College which was bought by Fordham University and later closed, but thats a whole other story. Overall I loved it, I had a great experience, you would think with many women there would be a ton of drama, but it was actually really nice, I made a lot of really great friends, was lucky to have some amazing teachers and opportunities that may not have been available at another school.

I went to co-Ed school until college and never honestly planned on attending an all women's college, but I fell in love in the school, and not having the guys in campus really wasn't a big deal, we were a short train ride from NYC, and its not like you couldn't have guys on campus, a lot of girls had boyfriends, or girlfriends.

One thing I loved was that you were really encouraged to take all types of classes, I find that a lot of times girls and women are not encouraged to take the harder math and science classes, and that women are the minority, but in an all women's college it is come tell different. I'm taking classes now on a co-Ed college and I miss sometimes not having guys in class.

If you end up in an all women's college in a city not having guys on campus just isn't really a factor as there are plenty of other ways to meet guys.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:57 PM

809 posts, read 1,327,529 times
I have never attended Cedar Crest College in Allentown PA (all female), but I have friends that have attended. They love it and Layfayette is right across the street.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:31 PM

5,565 posts, read 6,142,539 times
Both I and my sister attended women's colleges. I went to Bryn Mawr College. I wasn't looking for a women's college specifically - it was the only women's college to which I applied. I thought it was great. The academics were top notch, nice small classes, and a truly great, supportive atmosphere. I was never one to be intimidated about being female in a science or math class but I certainly knew many who were. I saw lots of young women blossom while I was there. It's a little hard to put into words, but the college seemed to think it important to teach women strength and confidence as well as academics.

Bryn Mawr is not cloistered from the world. It has a close working relationship with a couple of coed colleges so you aren't without male friends. I had a relationship with someone out of state for a short time and dated a couple of guys when I studied abroad. But for the most part I didn't date much in college. But I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I had great friends and was always busy. There was plenty of time to meet men after college. But one of my best friends from college met her lifetime partner there - he was a student at one of the co-ed colleges with which Bryn Mawr cooperates.

One thing that I always liked was how internationally diverse Bryn Mawr was. There were a lot of students there from cultures where it would not have been acceptable for them to go to a co-ed school. It was truly a very rich environment. I'm glad I went to a women's college, but it isn't for everyone. I just hope girls don't dismiss them out of hand when trying to decide where to go for college. They are definitely worth a look.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,269,304 times
I graduated from a woman's university and I attended all 4 years there. I liked it.

Right across town was a coed university and the guys were always on our campus. lol

Plus, this was during the Viet Nam war and we had soldiers from an AFB and an Army Base crawling all over the place.

There was not a lack of men.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM

506 posts, read 955,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Both I and my sister attended women's colleges. I went to Bryn Mawr College. I wasn't looking for a women's college specifically - it was the only women's college to which I applied. I thought it was great. The academics were top notch, nice small classes, and a truly great, supportive atmosphere. I was never one to be intimidated about being female in a science or math class but I certainly knew many who were. I saw lots of young women blossom while I was there. It's a little hard to put into words, but the college seemed to think it important to teach women strength and confidence as well as academics.

Bryn Mawr is not cloistered from the world. It has a close working relationship with a couple of coed colleges so you aren't without male friends. I had a relationship with someone out of state for a short time and dated a couple of guys when I studied abroad. But for the most part I didn't date much in college. But I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I had great friends and was always busy. There was plenty of time to meet men after college. But one of my best friends from college met her lifetime partner there - he was a student at one of the co-ed colleges with which Bryn Mawr cooperates.

One thing that I always liked was how internationally diverse Bryn Mawr was. There were a lot of students there from cultures where it would not have been acceptable for them to go to a co-ed school. It was truly a very rich environment. I'm glad I went to a women's college, but it isn't for everyone. I just hope girls don't dismiss them out of hand when trying to decide where to go for college. They are definitely worth a look.
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Bryn Mawr is a great women's school and liberal arts college. That's what I'm looking at when I apply soon. A place that is focused and intimate. It seems like most people I talked to enjoyed their experiences going to a women's college just fine.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,196,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
This is going to be a "spinoff" to my LAC vs Big Universities thread I made a month and a half back.

Most women college seem to be a LAC which I already had plans applying for in the near future. Has any of the city-data women attend a women's college? If so what was your experiences like? How did you feel about attending a school with no guys? Did you have a relationship life outside of school?

I'm wondering because I am looking at a few schools to apply to like Barnard, Smith college, and Simmons college.
I moved to Boston with an ex-girlfriend who was admitted to Simmons for grad school. Simmons is a part of the Colleges of the Fenway, which is more-or-less a community of colleges on or near Fenway Park (The actual park, not the baseball stadium). The colleges include: Simmons, Emmanuel, Wheelock, Wentworth, Mass. College of Pharm. and Health, and Mass. College of Art and Design. Northeastern is also close by as well as the Harvard Medical School. Not to mention the other 40 or so colleges and universities and something like 400,000 college kids in or around Boston, you will not have any problem meeting anyone.

Oh, Simmons admits males into their grad programs.

While living in Boston I became friends with another woman who went to Smith and I know another guy who lives in North Hampton. Like Simmons, Smith is not isolated. Amherst, U. Mass. Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, and one or two other universities are in the area. North Hampton is a cool little town and is otherwise the exception in a rather wt Western Mass. So once again, you will not have much trouble meeting guys and friends.

The girl who went to Smith really liked it.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,146,577 times
I didn't like it. I never attended, but I did visit one for a few days, and I thought it was kinda boring.

Yeah, it's great having everyone understand you and everything, but I felt like something was missing. When I was younger, I went to coed public schools (all of these supposedly ranked very highly, including the uni I visited), so maybe that's why. I also heard many horror stories about being repressed and embarrassed by your own gender in same-sex schools. Ironically, my parents both went to same-sex schools in Asia and they said that there are some benefits, like customization. Also, I guess everyone pretty much wears the same clothes and goes through the same changes in those points of their lives.

The ones in my area also cost way too much compared to a normal coed uni, which I preferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities