Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 04:47 PM

864 posts, read 1,446,946 times

Advertisements

I think you definitely need a love of science (not necessarily math) to be successful as an environmental professional. My father has a B.S. and an M.S. in Soil Science, with a minor in Biology. He first worked as an environmental consultant for five years after getting his Master's, and then went to work for an oil company as an environmental professional. 20 years later, he is now the Corporate Manager of EHS for a mid-sized energy company, and pulls in a very healthy salary in the six figures. He could not have done this without the science background. A biology degree is (obviously) VERY science oriented...very intensive, and you would really need to love and have an aptitude for science to succeed in that area.

I am currently a pre-vet student majoring in Public Health, and I'm 19 (in my second year of college, but will be a junior after this semester due to all my AP and dual enrollment credits). My original major was physics, but I decided I did not want to be chained to a desk or lab as a physicist if vet school did not pan out. I *am* a science geek...since my dad is a scientist, I assume it's in my genes, haha. You may want to consider a major in Public Health (B.S. and M.S., which is the route I will go whether or not I get into vet school). After talking with my dad at length about this, a degree in Public Health is VERY marketable today, and this does include marketability in the environmental field. I made certain of this because there is a chance I might just follow in my dad's footsteps if vet school doesn't work out. At this point I'm interested mainly in the Public Health aspect of the spread of diseases between humans and animals, but a good PH program (and advisor to "advise you") can allow you to tailor your education (using electives) towards the environmental field. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 3,793,474 times
Natural Resources - Management
Environmental Science (science, math, physics, chemistry generally required)
Environmental Studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities