Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM

75 posts, read 107,345 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine is going to college next year and is looking at both small Colleges and large public Universities. Many of the small Colleges he is looking at advertise that most of the classes have only 10-15 students. Do you think that is really as big of plus as they promote? Does someone really learn that much more in classes with only 10-15 students vs medium size classes at Universities with 30-40 students? Is it worth the extra money for the small class sizes?

Last edited by regular folk; 09-05-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,413 times
Not necessarily. I think it really depends on what type of learner you are. Do you tend to zone out in large spaces? Do you like a lot of conversation with your peers (as in a small environment)? Do you prefer to form a close relationship with a professor? Do you need a lot of guidance?

I personally went to one of the largest state schools with hundreds of students in my gen eds, and anywhere from 20-80 in my "major" classes. I personally have a style that is fine with a large class. I have no issues paying attention, and I got along fine with little to no face time alone with the professor. I formed study groups if I had to, and that worked fine.

I think schools tout the low number thing as some sort of bragging point. I think they tell you it's better to have smaller classes (and by "they" I mean society) when in fact I believe it's a matter of personal preference. I find it interesting to have a large class.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:28 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,405 times
As mentioned above, I think it mostly has to do with the amount of attention and support one can expect from one's professors. That said, I've had adequate support from professors in classes that literally filled up an auditorium and inadequate support in classes that were in a small modular classroom.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,594 times
doesn't the typical school have both small and large classes? large classes for the big intro classes then small classes when you get higher up/more specialized. even in my large lecture classes we had a small discussion group that met once a week.

Last edited by brocco; 09-05-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM

131 posts, read 281,899 times
I concur with the above two posters. If you are in a subject that you really are weak to average in, then perhaps a smaller classroom setting will be beneficial. I could definitely see alot more interaction amongst the students and a feeling of relationships in a smaller setting. Larger setting have the upside as well. If there are classes where you have a complete handle on the class, then a larger class size is of no concern.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
I like smaller classes. I think there is more interaction between the prof and the students. That said, I consider both 15 and 30 student classes to be about the same in that they are both small enough to allow for interaction and discussion. In short, unless you are really struggling with a subject, I don't see any advantage of a 15 person class over a 30 person class. I do think there is an advantage in a 30 person class over a 100+ person class.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
The reality is that colleges who advertise their smaller class sizes are simply trying to make a positive out of a negative. Most of these colleges WISH they were bigger, but can only entice a certain number of students each year. They would have bigger class sizes if they could.

I agree with the posts stating that a class size of 15 to 30 students make no difference. Even in very large institutions, most upper level classes are not much more than that. Your general courses are often a zoo of people in lecture halls. If you are a person with attention issues, it might be wise to take these general courses at a smaller college or community college just for the one on one help. For the majority of students, I doubt it's a big deal. Your first couple years are not usually involving the meat and potatoes of your major.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
WHen I had classes with 500 plus people in them, I did not learn anything in the class. I learned by reading the book a week before finals and midterms. However that may just be me. With 500 kids in the class there were just too many attractive girls I wanted to try to meet. Not really focused on the lecture. It was more of a social hour.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The reality is that colleges who advertise their smaller class sizes are simply trying to make a positive out of a negative. Most of these colleges WISH they were bigger, but can only entice a certain number of students each year. They would have bigger class sizes if they could.

I agree with the posts stating that a class size of 15 to 30 students make no difference. Even in very large institutions, most upper level classes are not much more than that. Your general courses are often a zoo of people in lecture halls. If you are a person with attention issues, it might be wise to take these general courses at a smaller college or community college just for the one on one help. For the majority of students, I doubt it's a big deal. Your first couple years are not usually involving the meat and potatoes of your major.
I very much disagree that small colleges are trying to make a positive out of a negative. All three of my kids chose small colleges over big colleges because they wanted to participate in classes, not just be lectured to. My youngest son was clearly searching for a school where he would be able to be active in his department as a freshman. He didn't feel that would be possible at the larger colleges he was looking at. Turns out he got a job at his small college starting freshman year in his field.

I also don't think that when colleges talk about large classes they mean 30, I think they mean 100.

Class size is just one of the many variables that students look at, and to some people like jmgg, it apparently makes no difference, but to others it does.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,632 times
It depends on what type of learner one is AND on the professor. A lot of times smaller classes use more discussion and things of that nature. Some people do better with that, and others don't. Also, just because it's a small class doesn't mean the professor will teach it differently than s/he would for a large class or be any more available to his or her students. Most would, but not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities