Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 AM

44 posts, read 188,020 times

Advertisements

A degree in economics, finance or accounting. Do yous know if they favor one of those degrees one way or another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 AM

35,076 posts, read 31,302,097 times
None. You need to have a CS, software engineering, MIS, or similar degree to become a business analyst. Business degrees do not work.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningferron View Post
A degree in economics, finance or accounting. Do yous know if they favor one of those degrees one way or another?
I think some companies require these degrees since they are somewhat more rigorous than business degrees in marketing or human resources.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 09-07-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
I think it depends on the type of business analyst. But I know a large quantity of them look for an advanced degree in statistics or applied mathematics as the top degrees.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 PM

44 posts, read 188,020 times
Sorry guys, messed up. Meant to put Financial Analyst instead of Business Analyst.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:16 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Sorry guys, messed up. Meant to put Financial Analyst instead of Business Analyst.
Any of those majors have sufficient amount of classes to know the basic financial analyst formulas pretty well (i.e. net present value, internal rate of return, annuity, etc.) and require at least a few upper level classes where you use them in problem sets, tests, or projects.

I'd think that any bright student in those majors could pick up whatever else was necessary for an entry level financial analyst job, though a finance degree would be the closest. The catch 22 is that finance degree is less versatile, as their are econ and accy jobs fin majors rarely get and econ and accy majors could pretty much any job a fin major can get.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
Quote:
This is like asking if your employer prefers you to eat lunch at noon or 1:00. It varies depending on employer. I have a finance degree and graduated in 2011. My university offers a pretty balanced dose of economics, finance, and accounting for business majors (obviously I took more finance, but I was still taking several classes in those areas). I elected to take less in HR and Marketing because they weren't as relevant to my career aspirations at the time.

It depends on your degree program, also your personal experience will matter a lot. These are the sorts of things you can put in cover letters and on resumes. For example, I took finance courses but also took some extra accounting courses that for sure help me out in my job now.

I'd say if you read the job posting and are completely lost, it might not be for you. If you read it and kind of get it, it might be for you. A lot of employers are willing to take a chance on a bright student because they can mold you the way they want you to be, and you won't be stuck in your previous ways. Financial Analyst is also a surprisingly broad term with a broad array of responsibility and required skill set.

I'm also kind of assuming you are a fresh graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities