Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,976 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 and I returned to college this year after dropping out years ago. I already have 50-something credits so I'm not starting from scratch, but because of the break I'm having to spend another year at the local cc before finally transferring next year as a junior.

I am more academically focused and motivated than ever, and I have no interest in socializing (in school, that is), especially since I will be older. All I want is to be the best student I can be and get my degree. But I'm worried about how I should interact with my classmates? I don't think it will be an issue at the cc because their average age range is much higher, but basically I don't want to be that creeper 20-something year old trying to fit in with young kids fresh out of high school.

The school I'm likely transferring to next year is a big state university (over 20 thousand undergrads) and a commuter school, so I believe there will be a lot of older students there anyway, but do I just blow off the younger kids? I want to find a middle ground between not being a creeper but also not being rude or overtly dismissive. After all, a part of being a good student is interacting in class discussions (and maybe even campus events)....What if some students ask me to join a study group? Or they just strike up a conversation after class? I just don't want to be seen as a creep.

Any suggestions? :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
You are 24 and overthinking this way too much. Go to class and participate in discussions. Opportunities to strike up a conversation after class are extremely limited. Most of your classmates aren't even going to know you are alive. Be polite, go to ball games or whatever, join the study group if someone asks, etc. Most people in class already have a friend group and are not looking to find extra friends in their Western Civ class. Go to class and go home. If something clicks, fine. If not, fine.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
I started on my bachelors at 30, and had just about nothing in common with most of my classmates. The vast majority of friends I made were also working adults with families, but I interacted with the kids when needed: class discussions, projects, study groups, casual conversation.

And I think joe is right; you're overthinking it.
Go to class and participate in discussions and the like. You'll figure out where you fit in.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are 24 and overthinking this way too much. Go to class and participate in discussions. Opportunities to strike up a conversation after class are extremely limited. Most of your classmates aren't even going to know you are alive. Be polite, go to ball games or whatever, join the study group if someone asks, etc. Most people in class already have a friend group and are not looking to find extra friends in their Western Civ class. Go to class and go home. If something clicks, fine. If not, fine.
I agree, you might be thinking about this too hard. The kids there are young, for the most part self-absorbed and, could care less. Heck at 24 you probably don't look too much older than them.

Like Joe says, use your life experience, participate if you want to, talk to people if you want to (or don't want to) and get your education and get out.

Now going back @30yo like me, (with a full beard) I'd be a definite creeper, lol.

Though I think it would be very interesting to go back to school with what I know now.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringhalanmi View Post
I'm 24 and I returned to college this year after dropping out years ago. I already have 50-something credits so I'm not starting from scratch, but because of the break I'm having to spend another year at the local cc before finally transferring next year as a junior.

I am more academically focused and motivated than ever, and I have no interest in socializing (in school, that is), especially since I will be older. All I want is to be the best student I can be and get my degree. But I'm worried about how I should interact with my classmates? I don't think it will be an issue at the cc because their average age range is much higher, but basically I don't want to be that creeper 20-something year old trying to fit in with young kids fresh out of high school.

The school I'm likely transferring to next year is a big state university (over 20 thousand undergrads) and a commuter school, so I believe there will be a lot of older students there anyway, but do I just blow off the younger kids? I want to find a middle ground between not being a creeper but also not being rude or overtly dismissive. After all, a part of being a good student is interacting in class discussions (and maybe even campus events)....What if some students ask me to join a study group? Or they just strike up a conversation after class? I just don't want to be seen as a creep.

Any suggestions? :/
I started college when I was 40 and fit in just fine with the students. Don't over analyze or over think things. Just go to class, do what you do and move on. If you don't want to join a study group don't, they are not required. If you feel like chatting chat, if not don't. It is no different to me than dealing with any other human contact. All of the students in my class were the same age as my children, we got along great, had study groups, had lunch together and they initiated all of the contact with me. So it worked out for everyone involved.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,559 times
I'm a 19 year old honors student (only mentioned that to stress that I am academically motivated...very much so...I'm in college for an education...not to live the typical college party lifestyle many others my age do), and I think your concerns are a bit strange. I really don't mean this as disrespect, honestly. I agree with what others have said in that you are over-thinking it. I go to a campus that has a mixed age of students, and I don't think anything about it. And you're only 24...not 44, lol. I date guys your age (and a bit older), so you being 24 would not be a blip on my creeper radar, lol. I think you are taking the wrong approach to not wanting to "socialize"...I'm not talking about going out drinking with younger college students (I don't drink, and I don't go to wild parties), but making conversation when appropriate in class, participating in study groups, doing your share in group projects and being pleasant about it, asking others for help, or providing help to others who might ask you...that's just being POLITE, regardless of how old you are. And you never know...you might actually LIKE going out for coffee after class or something along those lines with your fellow classmates. Not all typical college aged students are self-absorbed, narcissistic party animals or the like. That is a very close-minded attitude. Keep a positive attitude, pleasant demeanor and an open mind, and I think you'll have a much better experience.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:50 PM

143 posts, read 378,484 times
Oh dear lord, you are 24, people aren't even going to know you are older than them

Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,976 times
LOL now I feel like a weirdo. All of your comments have definitely woken me up.

The thing is, I do want to participate in class discussions and maybe even campus events. And it's not that I automatically assume the worst about the maturity level of people younger than me (I have friends outside of school of varying ages, including people decades older than me), as I try to evaluate people on an indvidual basis, but I do think 18 and 24 is a pretty big age gap, and the fact that it's in the context of school kind of heightens that.

I've never been the type of person to party drunkenly into the night anyway so that's not really an issue, but at the same time I don't want to be excessively standoffish and antisocial. I was basically worried that being friendly with my classmates might be interpreted as me desperately trying to hang onto my lost youth or something LOL.

I understand now. I should focus on my studies, and just act normally with my classmates. I have a habit of over-thinking things :P

Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringhalanmi View Post
LOL now I feel like a weirdo. All of your comments have definitely woken me up.

The thing is, I do want to participate in class discussions and maybe even campus events. And it's not that I automatically assume the worst about the maturity level of people younger than me (I have friends outside of school of varying ages, including people decades older than me), as I try to evaluate people on an indvidual basis, but I do think 18 and 24 is a pretty big age gap, and the fact that it's in the context of school kind of heightens that.

I've never been the type of person to party drunkenly into the night anyway so that's not really an issue, but at the same time I don't want to be excessively standoffish and antisocial. I was basically worried that being friendly with my classmates might be interpreted as me desperately trying to hang onto my lost youth or something LOL.

I understand now. I should focus on my studies, and just act normally with my classmates. I have a habit of over-thinking things :P
Your age will probably never come up, so you don't need to worry about people thinking you are desperately trying to hang on to lost youth...they may assume you are a youth, lol.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
There are tons of people in college at age 24+. I mean, you will be a Junior and not everyone graduates in 4 years anyway. You will have no problem and probably won't have too many 18 yr olds in your classes since they will be taking Freshman classes most likely. There is always some mix of ages, over 50 even so don't be surprised. Socializing, from what I see, happens outside of class most of the time so unless you are planning to join a frat you won't have to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities