Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM

42 posts, read 117,653 times

Advertisements

@golfgal - I have many reasons why I want to be there, I just names a couple of them. I don't need to give my life story.

@sheena12 - Drexel is over what I want to spend & I only want to go to college for 2 years.

@Finger Laker - See above. I hate Florida, I've lived here for 8 years and I'm heading back to the NE as soon as possible.

----

Are there really no good Small Business/Entrepreneurship courses in the Philadelphia area that is NOT a 4 year and is NOT over 30k? Also, if people would go back and read my original post I did say that if there aren't any of what I'm looking for in the main area, I would go out of state or farther away in state to a better college if their business program is good and in my price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Here is your issue though - your desires conflict, which is why I just lurked until a program that I was aware of was questioned

You want the philadelphia area - there are a ton of schools within an hour, hordes of them .... however, the vast majority are 4 year programs .... you don't want to go more than 2

I read your $30k as a total program cap - the best programs in the area are that per year

You could meet your budget if you stayed in state and received that tuition amount ...... which honestly, isn't that bad .... I was itching to get out of NY so I discounted all my home state schools, in retrospect I wish I didn't

It doesn't sound like you have an undergraduate degree which would allow you to jump into a post-grad narrow focus program

So that would leave 2 year specialty schools and certificate programs - looks like many online schools offer this, which I would caution against given the nature of study

There are some out there - but they most likely will not have some of the things that good, 4 year programs have that personally I would find important to the degree

Delaware Technical CC in Wilmington (close to Philly) has both an associates and certificate program
https://www.dtcc.edu/academics/progr...trepreneurship
https://www.dtcc.edu/academics/progr...ip-certificate

I really don't know much about it (even though I lived in Wilmington for the better part of a year) - they have other locations as well, but this is closest to Philly

I'm not sure how much specific information your going to find on any of these smaller programs - they just don't tend to be talked about much ..... try searching them out, looking into accreditation, community involvement with the program, etc

Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM

I said this in my original post,

-I'd like to stay in the price range of 30k (if that's possible)
-I'm looking for 2 year colleges but I will go for 4 if I need to.

So IF I cannot find what I am looking for, I will go higher than 30k and I will go for 4 years.

College has been off my radar for a while, I only recently decided that it would give me the boost I need for what I want it for.

I stay far away from online schools, I prefer being in a classroom anyways.

I'll check that school out, thanks.

Yeah that's why I came here, I hoped someone would know about the smaller schools. Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
the program in DE for a 2 year degree is going to cost $14,400

here is the course map for Wilmington
https://www.dtcc.edu/sites/all/modul...pus=WILMINGTON

this course looks promising given the program and is the type of experience I would want out of such a program
https://dilbert.dtcc.edu/pls/dtcc/bw...se_numb_in=225

Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Have you done the Net Price Calculators on the various websites for the schools suggested? While the initial sticker price may be more than $30K, if you qualify for merit aid or financial aid, that can reduce the cost significantly. Living on campus can help you as well since that is factored into the financial aid.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM

@Finger Laker - thanks, I'll check those out.

@golfgal - I haven't, I'll look it up. I thought dorms were pretty expensive and it's cheaper to live off campus with roommates?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorelumiere View Post
@Finger Laker - thanks, I'll check those out.

@golfgal - I haven't, I'll look it up. I thought dorms were pretty expensive and it's cheaper to live off campus with roommates?
Maybe yes, maybe no. The financial aid calculators for living on campus, off-campus and at home are different for most schools and you get the most aid for living on-campus. You need to run all the numbers to be sure when all is said and done though. I don't find that dorm living is really any less expensive in the long run when you factor in food, rent, utilities, gas, car expenses, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities