U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 PM

129 posts, read 334,881 times
Default Nurse Practitioner vs Attorney

Hi everyone!

Which profession do you think earns more respect? Anyone have any info on starting salary and working conditions? I'm considering both careers and am not sure which way to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 PM

6,948 posts, read 15,934,590 times
I think that to be good at either one, you would have to have a certain type of personality. I don't think a good lawyer would have what it takes to be a good Nurse Practitioner and vice versa.

Do you think you would like to see nothing but sick people all day or maybe a few on the verge of death?

What kind of lawyer? The guy that draws up wills and does Property Title searches all day isn't the same type of personality that gets to defend a guilty creep against a murder charge.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 PM

If I were to go into law, it would be family law. I've seen far too much injustice when it comes to men, just because they are male.( Long story) I would also be involved in child advocacy.

If a NP, I would work in a rural setting, providing family care. I would also be a certified midwife, so I could deliver babies.

I have been interested in both of these careers as long as I can remember. There are positives and negatives to both. I'm just not sure which way to go. Maybe I should do both?! LOL

Old 10-07-2007, 03:32 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,008,940 times
Wow, isn't that using different sides of the brain? One science/math side and the other verbal/writing/language.

There are attorneys who can't find work. I doubt there is a nurse practioner out there who can't find work. The legal field is being tightened with tort reform. Look in the classifieds and see how many ads there are for nurse practioners vs. attorneys. Plus with the nursing field you can work as a 2 year RN, work as a 4 year RN before going for nurse practioner.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:51 PM

3,632 posts, read 10,770,507 times
I find it interesting that you are concerned about earning respect in whatever profession you go into. Why is that?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,582,820 times
Wow. Those are two widly different professions. My advice is to do internships/get practical experience with both and see what you think. Lawyers who graduate in top 5% from a good school and work at a big firm can make up to $100K starting. Those who don't, start more around $50K (still at a good school, but not with a big firm). You are analyzing legal documents, working on cases, etc. You can do health law.
I'm not sure about nurse practioners, but it seems that you need to narrow down what you really want to do in the future!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I find it interesting that you are concerned about earning respect in whatever profession you go into. Why is that?
It doesn't really have a barring on which career I choose, I was just curious as to what others thought about the professions. I have a tremendous amount of respect for both, I just wondered what the rest of general public thought.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 AM

3,556 posts, read 9,158,351 times
Unfortunately, the public doesn't know all that much about nurse practitioners. Here's some info: http://www.aanp.org/NR/rdonlyres/evwsnlw2366mgchbliqqu4crlfylu7dgwpl7xcg6c35kjsc7du ry4bkeehrjcie36mnchdi5jk3ck6ye2juh7aq2rvb/FAQs+-+What+is+an+NP.pdf (broken link)
and some more info: AANP | Practice (http://www.aanp.org/Practice+Policy+and+Legislation/Practice/Practice.asp - broken link)

It is not for the faint of heart.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
..... as a 2 year RN, work as a 4 year RN before going for nurse practioner.
RN means you have passed the licensing exam. ADN means a 2-year Associates degree, BSN means 4-year baccalaureate degree. Graduates of accredited programs awarding either degree are eligible to write the licensing exam. NP education, or APRN (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse), is Master's level.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
Hi everyone!

Which profession do you think earns more respect? Anyone have any info on starting salary and working conditions? I'm considering both careers and am not sure which way to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
To be a nurse practitioner, you must first be a registered nurse. If you enjoy both professions, you can combine them and be a legal nurse consultant or an atty with a nursing background or a consultant.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities