Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times

Advertisements

in order to sit for the cfa you have to have an approved finance vocation and I just work in a call center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 18,795 times
Commercial banking is a nice career for those looking to work in finance without giving up their lives. Same with F500 work. The plus with both of these is that an MSF is often considered equal to an MBA. Good luck with the GMAT and thanks for visiting my site!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
in order to sit for the cfa you have to have an approved finance vocation and I just work in a call center.
Not true at all! I sat for the 1st CFA exam before I started working in Finance (although sadly, I didn't pass it that time around.)

You just need to be a graduating senior to take the CFA Level 1 exam.

For Level 2, you just need ANY bachelors degree, even in an unrelated subject (in addition to passing Level 1).

You need work experience to get the CFA charter after you pass all 3 levels though. But being a candidate will give you an edge in your Finance career.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Not true at all! I sat for the 1st CFA exam before I started working in Finance (although sadly, I didn't pass it that time around.)

You just need to be a graduating senior to take the CFA Level 1 exam.

For Level 2, you just need ANY bachelors degree, even in an unrelated subject (in addition to passing Level 1).

You need work experience to get the CFA charter after you pass all 3 levels though. But being a candidate will give you an edge in your Finance career.
Ok well I will look into that.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
Commercial banking is a nice career for those looking to work in finance without giving up their lives. Same with F500 work. The plus with both of these is that an MSF is often considered equal to an MBA. Good luck with the GMAT and thanks for visiting my site!
No problem! Your welcome. I will contact you if I have any questions.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM

410 posts, read 398,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Were firms really hiring MF's though for that amount? I know a lot of that was bonus money which could be huge in good years, but a lot of the heavy quant hedge funds I knew were hiring PhD's in math or physics or folks at top MBA programs. The top finance departments in the country all have elite MBA programs and the top students gravitated towards those programs. The MF's student populations were tiny compared to the MBA programs and many of them were already financial professional trying to burnish their credentials with a U.S. degree.
Yep, about 50-60% of that amount was in bonus and 2004-2007 were all "good" years.
From what I recall, graduates from top Math and Physics programs were hired as quants.
And graduates from top MBA programs were hired as traders/salesmen.

In a recent talk, Malcolm Gladwell said that before that time period, he had never seen so many super smart guys working for something of such marginal importance (like creating and selling an exotic derivative contract).

Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
One thing I found weird about Master's of Finance programs is that are often dominated by foreign students. In the U.S., it is much more common to get a MBA with a concentration in finance, than a Master's of Finance. So you should be aware of that and recruiters don't really do a lot of recruiting specifically for those degrees because they are not common in the U.S. Those programs are very math oriented (i.e. quant programs), so make sure you have a good handle on advanced algebra, spreadsheet skills, and maybe some basic calculus.
If it's more quantitative, wouldn't that make a Masters of Finance more valuable than an MBA? After all, just about anyone can get an MBA, but how many people can do math?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 18,795 times
Well most MBA programs, at least those worth their salt, have math requirements. A top MBA's value far out weighs most MSF programs currently, but that is attributable to brand more than anything.

Wharton MBA > 99% of MSF's - for example.

With that said, most people cannot get into a T10 MBA and might not want to spend two years rehashing undergrad business. This is a circumstance where a 1 year, focused masters might be of value.

In the end it really depends on the individuals specific circumstance. Both degrees are useful and important, but now people have the MSF/MMS option. Before it was undergrad and an MBA.

Oh, and not every MSF is dominated by foreign students. Many of the programs I know and deal with are mainly US students. Not that there is anything wrong with international students, but considering that job market and visa requirements, it is probably a good thing to have a limit on how many students will need H1 sponsorship in order to remain in the US.

As for the CFA question, you can take all three exams without working in finance or a related industry, but in order to earn the charter (actually have CFA after your name) you need the work experience. Also, this will take you at a minimum 3 years.

Now I know plenty of MSF's with a CFA (and some with an MBA also) so they are not mutually exclusive options. The MSF shares a lot of the same coursework as the CFA, but differs. They both provide different advantages.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:54 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
differential calculus (Calc 4) is the pre-requisite to apply.
...differential calculus is Calc 4?

Do you mean differential equations? (little different-in my programs the sequence was usually differential, integral, vector, then diffie-Q's. Up to and including integral wasn't too bad; vector was a massive weed-out).

Old 11-30-2014, 03:16 PM

158 posts, read 332,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
If it's more quantitative, wouldn't that make a Masters of Finance more valuable than an MBA? After all, just about anyone can get an MBA, but how many people can do math?
If life were as black and white as math, then you would be correct.In reality, effective business dealing requires an understanding of every angle, in addition to the ability to shape perceptions. After all, a product or service is only as valuable as it is perceived...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities