U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM

355 posts, read 1,732,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Including college, about 12-15. Add 3-5 to pay off your loans.

So, assuming you start college when you're 18, you will be a full-fledged doctor around the time you turn 32. You should be free and clear of your student loans and debts (depending on how frugally you live) by the time you're 35-40.
I wonder why doctor's have to go for school so long . I mean , I understand that it is alot to learn and you must know what you are doing before becoming a doctor , but what takes 10 or 15 years to learn ? I think the longest time that you should have to go to school for any occupation should be no more than 6 or 7 years .
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:10 AM

2,258 posts, read 2,440,394 times
High barriers to enter the profession keeps out the riff raff

most of it anyway

And really it does take that long, 8 years for the academics seems reasonable and at that point they havent even seen a patient.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 AM

67,328 posts, read 54,947,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
High barriers to enter the profession keeps out the riff raff

most of it anyway

And really it does take that long, 8 years for the academics seems reasonable and at that point they havent even seen a patient.
They start doing clinicals (seeing patients) the last two years of med school. They rotate through all the specialties.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 AM

2,258 posts, read 2,440,394 times
I wouldnt know, never been to med school. I just think there cant be enough education for a Physician

Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Four years of college. Then four years of Medical School. Then, depending on the school and your particular interest, interning or resident program. This varies from one year to several years. Once your graduate from the resident program, you are on your own.
Also, do physicians get paid during their residencies? Just wondering.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:33 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,489,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Yes they get paid. My daughter is in her last year of residency at Johns Hopkins and gets 55k. She spent four years at undergrad school, four years at med school, and then a four year residency. I don't know what the pay for residency is at other places but most are probably within 10%-15% of Hopkins.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,414,028 times
Quote:
Between 30-50 generally.

As for why you have to go for more than 6 years, imagine having someone being out of college for only 2 years and then being your doctor....quite a scary thought. I'm finishing my PhD in child clinical psych and it will be 6 years post undergrad (so 10 years total) and I think that that was a good amount of time. You don't want just anyone to be your doctor

Old 10-28-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Between 30-50 generally.

As for why you have to go for more than 6 years, imagine having someone being out of college for only 2 years and then being your doctor....quite a scary thought. I'm finishing my PhD in child clinical psych and it will be 6 years post undergrad (so 10 years total) and I think that that was a good amount of time. You don't want just anyone to be your doctor
I thouht about being a doctor when I was about to go to college, but decicded to be a dentist. I make more than most doctors and didn't have to be in school as long and did not have to pay as much to go. I also am not as likely to be sued. No offense.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:59 PM

1,672 posts, read 3,774,677 times
Quote:
I thouht about being a doctor when I was about to go to college, but decicded to be a dentist. I make more than most doctors and didn't have to be in school as long and did not have to pay as much to go. I also am not as likely to be sued. No offense.
Many people who choose to become doctors do not necessarily do so to make tons of money. There are easier ways to make money.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,744,970 times
Quote:
I wonder why doctor's have to go for school so long . I mean , I understand that it is alot to learn and you must know what you are doing before becoming a doctor , but what takes 10 or 15 years to learn ? I think the longest time that you should have to go to school for any occupation should be no more than 6 or 7 years .
I have no problem with the fact that my doctor went through 10-15 years of training instead of 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities