Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM

101 posts, read 173,708 times

Advertisements

I graduated from college in 2008 with a degree in mass communications and a concentration in journalism. Now, I realize that wasn't the best idea because journalism is a sinking ship. My program also didn't really provide a lot of education in new trends in journalism like multimedia journalism/web media, etc., and I find I'm really behind the eight-ball on the job market now. Not only that, I no longer wish to be in journalism and I would like to work in marketing/communications, specifically in nonprofit, but I'd be open to considering other companies.

I also want to work in media relations for a professional sports team. There are master's in sports management programs, but they don't seem to be really beneficial to someone that wants to work in sports media.

I figured that a master's in marketing/communications would be helpful because if my goal to work in sports doesn't work out, then I know I am at least more well-rounded and not as boxed in as I would be with sports management. However, it's my understanding that a graduate degree in my chosen field isn't necessary. But...I'm tired of being told that I don't have necessary experience even though I have transferable skills. Volunteering isn't the answer for me right now because I work full-time and have student loans coming due next month. Between my full-time job and searching for jobs, I just don't have time to add a volunteer gig to my plate. I would be open to doing another internship, but only if it paid.

Given all of this, should I pursue the degree? I am starting to look into programs and consider pros and cons, so I haven't made a decision on a specific school just yet. But some of the programs seem promising. What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
I agree you don't really need a masters in communications for what you want to do. The undergrad degree is more than sufficient credential-wise. It sounds like you just need to brush up on a few related skills, so perhaps a certificate course is in order as an alternative to grad school.

If you really want an advanced degree and you want to go the non-profit route, and Masters in Public Administration would be MUCH more valuable, by like a million. Also, if you can amass some fundraising knowledge/experience to go with the communications background you would be like gold to non-profits.

Sports careers are extremely competitive. That is a tough nut to crack. I would start by networking my ass off if I was planning to go that route.

As far as experience... you may have no choice but to volunteer. But instead of doing something that involves being around during working hours, offer to do a marketing plan or create a brochure for a local non-profit. Those are the types of things you can do on your own time.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
My thought is an MPA with a concentration in non-profits.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoldPride View Post
I graduated from college in 2008 with a degree in mass communications and a concentration in journalism. Now, I realize that wasn't the best idea because journalism is a sinking ship. My program also didn't really provide a lot of education in new trends in journalism like multimedia journalism/web media, etc., and I find I'm really behind the eight-ball on the job market now. Not only that, I no longer wish to be in journalism and I would like to work in marketing/communications, specifically in nonprofit, but I'd be open to considering other companies.

I also want to work in media relations for a professional sports team. There are master's in sports management programs, but they don't seem to be really beneficial to someone that wants to work in sports media.

I figured that a master's in marketing/communications would be helpful because if my goal to work in sports doesn't work out, then I know I am at least more well-rounded and not as boxed in as I would be with sports management. However, it's my understanding that a graduate degree in my chosen field isn't necessary. But...I'm tired of being told that I don't have necessary experience even though I have transferable skills. Volunteering isn't the answer for me right now because I work full-time and have student loans coming due next month. Between my full-time job and searching for jobs, I just don't have time to add a volunteer gig to my plate. I would be open to doing another internship, but only if it paid.

Given all of this, should I pursue the degree? I am starting to look into programs and consider pros and cons, so I haven't made a decision on a specific school just yet. But some of the programs seem promising. What should I do?
If you are having trouble now due to lack of experience, then another degree will not help you. Marketing/communications is a really common degree, and isn't very marketable because so many people have it. You will be better off looking for ways to educate yourself on the latest media trends and continuing to look for another job. It may seem like you are stuck, but eventually something will give if you try enough things. Going back to school is a bit of a cop out unless you already have a job lined up and need exactly that degree. Going back in the vague hopes of getting a dream job is a huge no-no.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM

412 posts, read 684,316 times
You don't have to go back for a full program like a Masters, you can do a graduate certificate that may offer classes that are particular to where you want to go. Or you could even just take some post baccalaureate courses in mass media or nonprofit or any other area where you feel deficient in.
I would recommend finding an entry level job or (if you don't have to worrry about income right now) an internship in those areas you are interested in before getting into a program that may or may not offer a future for you career wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities