Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times

Advertisements

seconded for warren wilson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Oberlin

Sarah Lawrence is Co-Ed, btw.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Oberlin

Sarah Lawrence is Co-Ed, btw.
Both of these are on that link a poster provided. Oberlin did not even cross my mind. I knew the Midwest, as a counterpoint to the Big 10, housed 1 or 2 small granola colleges somewhere.

How about SUNY-Purchase?

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 10-21-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Take a look at Macalaster in St. Paul, MN, very granola, but also a very politically active campus as well.

UM-Duluth--no need to bundle up, there are tunnels everywhere so you can go to class in your shorts and flip-flops in the winter .

I don't know that I would classify Grinnell as "granola". It's pretty east coast prep school I think.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
UM-Duluth--no need to bundle up, there are tunnels everywhere so you can go to class in your shorts and flip-flops in the winter .
Oh no, tunnels or sky-bridges at a university. That's funny. Still, what I meant is that a lot of the non-flagship branches of state universities often offer a good education for undergrads, though less so for research-oriented grad students, because they are under the purview of the entire system, yet offer a more hands-on teaching experience. The only difference is that they don't have the admissions selectivity, so you may not be charged up into frenzied competition like you would in the flagship schools, and grad school possibilities would be tougher in a highly competitive pool.

Schools like this would be UM-Duluth, UMich-Dearborn, UW-Tacoma (relatively new), UMass-Falmouth, etc. All decent schools, but the more casual and user-friendly experience would also be a bonus.

Ok, back to earthy-crunchy ...

Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
What?! No U.C. Berkeley???

Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
What?! No U.C. Berkeley???
No way. No how. Past tense. UC Berkeley is no longer a 50% freshman admit. It is a less than 25% freshman admit. The average incoming class is 40% Asian (American). There is the errant student who goes on some type of crusade, but most are heavily into the competitive atmosphere, thinking about grad school and the demanding career they will embark on. That "Berkeley Mystique" is a thing of the 70s, at the latest.

There are granolas living in the area and around the Bay, and the weekend market on Shattuck Avenue, with tye-dye everywhere, is as hippy-dippy as the day is long.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Thank you very much for contributing and NOT arguing. Some people get unnecessarily touchy about this subject. You make some great points.

First and foremost, I should have not missed REED in the West. Absolutely. I might even toss out WWU at that point. I think I could have lasted about a week at Reed, had I erroneously ended up in such a place.

Midwest:
- I wasn't sure which MN liberal arts college it could be. I don't know any of them that well, except for some graduates through which I formed this opinion
- Yes, I've heard UW Madison can be granola, but they offer good business and engineering programs, so maybe not as much
- Wow, UM Duluth - what a cool place, a hilly city next to Lake Superior - probably a great low-pressure-cooker type place where to bundle up, have some good coffee, hit the books, and get a great education in the process

Northeast:
- Sarah Lawrence, yes, I knew one of those women's schools up there would qualify
- I was thinking Bowdoin, but if you say one of U of Maine's branch campuses, I'll go with it and find it believable
- for some reason, I was thinking Bennington in VT, but I think that might be in the same league as the Maine LACs

Again, your post makes for an interesting read.
I spent ten years in Minnesota and can't really think of any college/university that has that granola vibe. Macalester is extremely Liberal, perhaps one of the most, but just because a school is far-left does not really equate to being hippy. Same with Carelton. Duluth is the only school I am sure of where you will find many students who listen to Phish/jam bands, play frisbee golf, hacky sack, and "partake" as a lifestyle choice.

I also lived in Maine and Massachusetts. Bowdoin, like Bates and Colby, are for the most part preppy schools. While you can find crunchy students, in particular at Bates, these are mostly kids from upper-middle class/wealthy families who like the outdoorsy-ness of Maine. These are the kids who summered on Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard and skied in Vermont every winter, even if they actually lived in the MidWest or on the West Coast. Maine is home to Hempfest, though.

Bates, Colby, and Bowdoin are considered by some to be "little Ivies". Note* I wrote by some.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Schools like this would be UM-Duluth, UMich-Dearborn, UW-Tacoma (relatively new), UMass-Falmouth, etc. All decent schools, but the more casual and user-friendly experience would also be a bonus.

Ok, back to earthy-crunchy ...
There is no UMass Falmouth. Do you mean UMass Dartmouth?

Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
There is no UMass Falmouth. Do you mean UMass Dartmouth?
YES! Thank you. Close! It used to have another name altogether, which didn't begin with UMass.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 10-21-2012 at 02:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities