Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 AM

952 posts, read 2,633,987 times

Advertisements

Hi all I have a couple of questions regarding doing an MBA in IT management.

1. What made you decide to do your MBA? career advancement? better employment opportunity with better pay? to be in debt? lol j/k on that one.

2. Online vs. traditional uni...........wth does this matter to employers!?

3. unknown vs. well know uni......again, wth does this matter to employers?

4. How did you FUND your MBA? you managed to save up $100K + for it? help from parents? took out a loan? government assistance?

some facts about me: I have been doing desktop support/systems administration work for SEVEN years, no I don't intend on doing this for the next 30 years!! Of course I need career advancement, but thanks to the title of position I am in, they are being OUTSOURCED to places like INDIA. And no I am not about to do a 360 degree on a career change either.

Yes I have other professional certs like CompTIA and Microsoft. No Cisco certs YET, why spend hundreds on the exam when I'm not even in a networking position?

If I decide (still contemplating) to do an MBA in IT management, would good would it do for me? I mean, it's not like I will become a desktop IT manager the next day after graduating.

Can anyone here offer me some pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 PM

anybody?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
What is your career goal? A helpdesk manager doesn't require a MBA. So what do you think this MBA will do for you? i.e. what do you expect to gain by potentially spending this 100K?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Ideally it would be nice to get into IT management. But I've only been doing desktop support/sys admin for 7 years.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I'm a proponent of continuous education. But it has to make sense. As you said, you getting a MBA today isn't going to guarantee you a management position tomorrow. You'll still need the functional IT skills on running an IT shop - technical, strategic, business etc. The majority of that isn't going to come to you via classes.

Don't take offense, but I'm only basing this perception on what you wrote above... but it seems like you're looking at a MBA as your ticket to a IT management position. Which isn't accurate. It may be part of that ticket, but its not a free pass. Personally, I would work on the hard skills first. Seven years is actually a fairly long time in IT. You said you're in help desk/sys admin... hopefully, you've progressed in those seven years - i.e you're at least a team lead now. If not, that may be the low hanging fruit you should go after first. If not at your current employer - then somewhere else where the opportunity exists. And you do need to branch out to get more exposure in other disciplines such as networking/security etc. Management needs to look at all aspects, and the more experience you have, the better suited you'll be to manage.

Just my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities