Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,239 times

Advertisements

I think it is unwise to go four years full time at this point. Secretary, now called administrative assistant, is pretty much the kind of job a new college grad hopes for. How do you know you'll do any better? Unless you are going to med school or something like that, I would suggest working full time and going to school part time. You can probably even do some courses online (through the community college), which would help you get done faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,051,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I think it is unwise to go four years full time at this point. Secretary, now called administrative assistant, is pretty much the kind of job a new college grad hopes for. How do you know you'll do any better? Unless you are going to med school or something like that, I would suggest working full time and going to school part time. You can probably even do some courses online (through the community college), which would help you get done faster.
Haha, no kidding. I saw a job for a mail room requiring a BA/BS. I also saw a posting today for a high level executive assistant that started at $60k!! I'd stay at the job, and take classes PT.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I've tossed the idea around a bit. I'd like to go back to college and get my degree. I'm already accepted into a community college (my credits won't be good from when I went in the mid 90's, so I have to start over, that's why community college first).

I'd like to get it done ASAP, and have been saving to help me do so. I'm hoping that school loans will help me too. Before anyone comments on this, I would make sure it's legal to use them to live off of while going to school.

My only question is - do you think it would look bad to a future employer to see that I had a 4+ year gap in employment (though I would try to work part time summers, or when I could)? Or do you think they would see it as a positive to improve my skills and have a degree since that gap was to go back to school?

Any thoughts appreciated, especially those who chose to do this.

This would be the time, as I am single, no kids. There is still a lot to think about and I'm well aware of costs of living, etc. Just curious about what others think.
Been there, done that. First off, I am not a "normal" human being, so my post will vary from the typical response. But as someone who's been through it, here is my advice:

First off, unless you were taking science courses, chances are your courses will transfer. I found that the "ten year rule" did not apply at any of the schools that I applied to. Most courses contain material that has changed very little, if at all, and should transfer as your having learned that material is still relevant. That is why science, for example, is the exception.

Second, your financial aid is supposed to aid you in attending college. If that means using some of the money to pay rent or bills, that is cool. However, there is really no way the school will know where or how you spend the money. Basically, they cut you a check for what ever is over the amount you owe (tuition, fees, etc.). It's not like they come knocking on your door to inquire where the excess money went. I will say that as a community college student you probably will not get enough "left over" to live off for an entire semester unless for some reason you live rent free or are extremely frugal.

Will taking four years "off" look bad to a future employer? Well, it depends on the employer, but in general, no. They will see that you have a work history of X number of years and went back to school to further/change your career. In this day, it is not that big of a deal and you will definitely not be the first to do it. It would look better if you continued to work part time, though, doing anything. Employment gaps only look bad if you have no reasonable explanation for them as you will be seen as someone who is lazy, mentally ill, a drunk, on drugs, etc. Being in school shows that you are doing something productive with your time, which does look good.

Anyways, like I wrote, I did it. It wasn't easy, but then again I never subscribed to the notion that I need "things" to be happy. I sacrificed, sure. I lived a modest life, and would have been considered dirt poor by most on here, yet, I had everything I needed and lived a comfortable life without having to resort to the ramen diet, staying home on a Friday night, turning off the heat during the winter, or drinking cheap beer. How easy it is really depends on how you live and how determined you are to do it.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 AM

55 posts, read 182,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I'm a secretary right now, and that's not what I intend to do when I graduate. I'm not 100% sure (thinking 2 different things right now .
Have you worked in the fields you are considering before? If not, you might want to see if you could shadow someone who currently works in your desired job, to make sure it is something you would actually want to do for forty hours a week. It would be a shame to spend all that time and money on a new career, only to find it just as unsatisfying as the old one. But I've seen several posts on this forum from people in that exact situation.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:54 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times
I do it...I left the workforce and attend school full time. However, I'm going into healthcare and it's not a good idea to work and attend school as you must maintain a B in all classes or you will fail.

However, if you can attend school part time or work full time, it will probably pay off.

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
As stated, you can live off of student loans, but again, not the wisest choice if you can avoid it. Have you researched any scholarships that might be available?

I also agree that the gap in employment will not matter if it is due to being in school.

That said, I would sit down with some career advisers prior to enrolling. There are some fields that will almost guarantee you a job after graduation if you do well, like health care. You can make good money in health care jobs that only require 2 years of study. I would not take on the burden of 4 years of school and the student loans in order to get a bachelor's degree in a field of study that is likely to not produce a job. For example: my BA was self-designed: "The Social Psychology of International Relations." You know where that got me? Working in a bakery.

I guess that's a log-winded way of saying that unless you have a very specific career path in mind in a field likely to produce a decent job, I'd seriously consider not going back to school.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Kinda depends on what that degree will give you once you've acquired it.If its a medical field type degree or a degree that trains you in a specific profession then its probably going to lead to a better quality of job, if its just a general bachelors degree i'd say its a total waste of your time and money.
Keep in mind with the entire baby boom demographic now starting to retire all aspects of the medical profession are going to be in demand for the next 30+ years.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,150,918 times
[quote=marie5v;26637557] Secretary, now called administrative assistant, is pretty much the kind of job a new college grad hopes for. How do you know you'll do any better? QUOTE]

Maybe I won't, but as of right now for me to try and get another administrative job, they require degrees (the jobs I've seen). If that job led to advancement (mine currently does not), then I would consider it worth it. If I went to school for 4+ years and got my Bachelors or MAsters and still wound up in administrative, I would not be upset about that. Getting my degree is something I always wanted to complete. Whether I make it as what I want, or can only find office work like I do now, won't at all make me feel like I wasted 4+ years.

In my 15 years experience at my current job, I've seen and applied to several jobs where I have been turned down in favor of someone with no experience, simply because they have a degree. These days, whether you want to be an accountant, doctor, or even just office assistant, having a degree is what employers seems to look for.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM

208 posts, read 819,498 times
Default Patience

With student loan debt over 1 trillion dollars, and many college grads not able to find a job...actually, with many people not able to find a job, I would not suggest quitting yours to go back to school. Even if your job isn't flexible, many schools have classes during the day, night, and on the weekend. If you quit your job and take out students loans to live and and go to school with, you guarantee yourself massive debt.

Just take your time, take classes part time, continue to work, and incur as little debt as possible. One thing that everyone should do is learn from other peoples mistakes, and with millions of people struggling to find work, that is a lesson that you should not quit your job.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,150,918 times
I'm really trying not to say too much, but with eveyone focusing on me continuing to work full time and go to school part time, I guess I have to share more details.

It's not possible. I took a class years ago and flunked. The stress at work is just too much and I can't concentrate. Or I was too sick from stress to attend class.

No way I can do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities