Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
That is not enough. If you parents are alive, you are not independent unless you are also one of:

24 or older
orphaned
ward of the court
married
grad student
a veteran
have legal dependents

There is a way for schools to grant a waiver for parent estrangement, but it requires lots of hoops and cannot be just because a parent refuses to pay for college or fill out the FAFSA. Generally documented abuse is necessary, including mental abuse. It may involve submitting medical records, undergoing a pysch eval, or affidavits or letters from teachers, pastors, or anyone else that could verify the abuse.

If this applies, you need to talk to a financial aid officer at a prospective school to go through the process. Regardless, even if this doesn't apply to you, you still should talk to a financial aid officer. Some schools have programs to deal with students that cannot go through the FAFSA process because of parent estrangement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
If you go the college route (and I recommend doing it), don't take the word of the first financial aid clerk you talk to unless you like thier answer, of course. The system is so complex no one person understands all the regulations or opportunities.

Best wishes for your future.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
If you can qualify as an emancipated adult as marigold mentions above, you may well be able to get significant financial aid. This link explains that definition: Dependency Status | Federal Student Aid

I would suggest looking at schools like the University of Alabama that are low cost and reward high achieving students: Out-of-State Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama With a total price of $37,000 a year including tuition and room and board plus a generous scholarship, this may be affordable. Ditto The University of South Carolina Academic Scholarships

Have you ever heard of this college? College of the Ozarks College of the Ozarks is located in Arkansas and seems to be a great choice if you are by any chance an Evangelical Christian. NO tuition. Here are seven more tuition free colleges: Eight Tuition-Free Colleges - WSJ.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
All good suggestions. I wish my daughter can read your post. Only difference is that we have the funds to send her to college. She's there right now but wanting to quit. I've told her over and over that there are many out there who would kill to be in her position. I've been trying to explain to her that without an education, there'd be no job, no money, no way to live. She doesn't even have a student loan. Regrettably, all our valuable advice has fallen into deaf ears, and it would be a sad day for us to read something like what you wrote.

Check into the emancipated adult and dependency rules. My husband had mentioned something about you cannot be considered independent if your parents are still claiming you as a dependent on their tax return. But then again, if you are not a student right now, then maybe they are not.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I first went to college when I was quite a bit older than you, 30-ish. I was newly divorced, had no money, and decided I wanted to get a science degree. I didn't want to take any loans either. I was determined to find ways to get "free" money for school (grants and scholarships).

I first went to a small local community college and made an appointment with the director of financial aid to see how I could get money to go to school. I applied for FASFA and got a scholarship to start out that paid for the first year of college, plus some living expenses, and I worked a p/t job. Kept a 4.0 GPA.

I later transferred to a 4 year cheap state college and got to know the director of financial aid there. This is the person who really controls the purse strings. I have gotten money on the spot just because I went and asked for it. (Some scholarships go unclaimed.) Every little bit helps. I applied for every grant and scholarship that I could find and every year I got enough money for tuition and some left over for living expenses. I worked p/t also.

Maybe it's different in the sciences if you can distinguish yourself as a student. The OP sounds like that type of person.

I know other students who did as well or better at this and also graduated debt free.

I'm not sure if things may be different now. I graduated in 2009 (debt free) and was in school during years of a "good" economy when there seemed to be plenty of money if you were persistant in asking for it.

I didn't keep track but I estimate I got $30-40k of grant and scholarship money during the 7 years I took to get my 4 year degree. As long as they were going to keep giving me money I kept going to school and took as many classes as I could!

OP - you can do this!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I just reread the OP - if you already know profs at the college talk to them and ask them who you can talk to in admissions to help get you into school. If you talk to the right people they may want to bend over backwards to help you get into school, and make it worth your while. You might be just the type of student they really want.

Be persistent.

Here is a good quote:

[LEFT]Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.Calvin Coolidge

Read more at Persistence Quotes - BrainyQuote
[/LEFT]

Old 11-02-2012, 06:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Are you a first-generation college student? Some schools have programs where students whose parents have not been to college can qualify for certain grants. See if there other scholarships you quality for and go from there.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,318 times
Also, Don't be afraid to take out loans if you have to. I know that so many people are afraid of being in debt but taking out Federal Loans to help support you college tuition along with scholarships may just be extra money you need. I had to take out loans to support myself since I was living on my own, only working part time and going to school full time. I did not have the best grades and had to pay tuition and living expenses but I only make payments of $140/mo for 10 years but as soon as I am able to I am going to start paying off more. You seem to be a smart kid and could probably get most of your tuition paid for but don't be afraid of a tiny bit of debt if that's what you need to pursue your education.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 PM

94 posts, read 216,346 times
Keep saving up money and if cannot afford college right now, it will definitely be in your future. There are some very high paying jobs out there that don't require college degrees. My best advice would be to network, network, and network more and keep an open mind. After I graduated from college, I couldn't find a job in my major but I found a job as a Buyer at a Hospital through networking. I had absolutely no experience. I later learned that they did not even require a college degree, and many people who worked there did not have one. I was making $20+ an hour, plus had the option to get cheap medical benefits. There are other jobs that don't require a college degree and can be had with no experience, such as Bookkeepers and Administrative Assistants. There are A LOT of well paying jobs that require good customer service skills, which it looks like you have.

Do you have any hobbies/interests or fields that you would like to work in?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 AM

412 posts, read 684,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
All good suggestions. I wish my daughter can read your post. Only difference is that we have the funds to send her to college. She's there right now but wanting to quit. I've told her over and over that there are many out there who would kill to be in her position. I've been trying to explain to her that without an education, there'd be no job, no money, no way to live. She doesn't even have a student loan. Regrettably, all our valuable advice has fallen into deaf ears, and it would be a sad day for us to read something like what you wrote.

Check into the emancipated adult and dependency rules. My husband had mentioned something about you cannot be considered independent if your parents are still claiming you as a dependent on their tax return. But then again, if you are not a student right now, then maybe they are not.
I was your daughter and finally had to face the fact that I was not going to get a job with any kind of future if I didn't finish the 4 year degree.
You might have to let your daughter come to the same conclusion. My parents hated it when I dropped out of school but I was very hard headed, was unsure of what I wanted to major in/do with my life and was not interested in school.
My advice to you. Tell your daughter that she can drop out if she wants -
BUT she has to get a job and pay rent if she comes back to live with you.
Maybe get her to take some classes at community college to determine some interest.
My parents did the same - attend college or get a job.
She might get lucky and figure out that she needs the degree fairly quickly. If not then at least she will end up with some skills.
I will bet that she will figure out that she needs the degree.

Good luck
It is not the end of the world if she drops out but I know as a parent you don't want her to make a wrong decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities