Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times

Advertisements

Ironically these ads were at the top of the page:

Degree Search
University of Phoenix
Mckinley College Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I have seen this type of behavior before. I do NOT believe that all students should go to college because there will always be a few that will just not make it no matter what. Don't worry OP, they won't be there for long.
This isn't as true as it should be. People can spend the better part of a decade working on a bachelor's degree that they have no hope of ever completing.

These people should be weeded out in 100-level courses, but grades have been inflated (and expectations lowered) to the point that I still see them in 300-level classes. They can't do basic algebra and hand in reports that look like they were written by someone who just downed an entire bottle of vodka, but they've managed to make it into junior-level college courses.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This isn't as true as it should be. People can spend the better part of a decade working on a bachelor's degree that they have no hope of ever completing.

These people should be weeded out in 100-level courses, but grades have been inflated (and expectations lowered) to the point that I still see them in 300-level classes. They can't do basic algebra and hand in reports that look like they were written by someone who just downed an entire bottle of vodka, but they've managed to make it into junior-level college courses.
While I don't like the comparisons between the US and other countries, this is a situation where it is justified. How can we compete in a global market if we have students who are like this in college? How do we expect them to hold down a job of any kind?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,355 times
I posted earlier in the thread, and I'm still disgusted about this.

I asked the professor when the grades for the first paper submitted would be posted (this paper was turned in 1 month ago.) He responded "soon, still grading some late comers." The late comers who posted all over the 'Ask the professor' section for SPOONFEEDING because they couldn't READ THE CLEARLY EXPRESSED DIRECTIONS. AHHHHHHHH

Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,594 times
urban community college? well yea no wonder lol.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
To be fair...

a book titled "Abstract Art: The Psychology of Lines" - would I look for that in the Art shelves, or the Psych shelves? If I'm taking a psych course, I would automatically look for it in the psych section. If I'm an Arts major, my first intuition would be to check the Arts.

Some bookstores don't have things ordered alphabetically. The bookstore near my house definitely doesn't. I'm so used to -that- bookstore, that checking alphabetically isn't intuitive to me at all. Of course, eventually I'm sure I'd catch on but it wouldn't be the first thing that popped into my head.

Next: I wrote better than the average 6th grader, back in 6th grade. Doctors, on the other hand, are trained in their third year of med school to write in chicken-scratch. It's actually on the final exam. This is why I'm not a doctor. I'm not capable of bad handwriting. It's a disability. I collect SSI checks monthly for it. My doctor sent a note to the Social Security office to verify for me. SSI couldn't read the note and just assumed it must be true, and the next month I got my first check

Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes lots of dummies.
universities are fake white collar trade schools. very expensive with no hope of job placement.
most dont need a college education, they need a trade.
if they went to a trade school they would kick them out the 1st week.
american university is a red carpet (going nowhere)
the admission ticket to college joy ride, a line of credit.
When job availability is low societies frequently up the requirements for those jobs. They also encourage college education, often lowering the standards in colleges. The idea is to keep people occupied, doing something with their lives, in the hopes that the job situation would change. In India a ticket taker in the railroad needs a degree. People bribe people to get job interviews.

I will bet, perhaps when labor unions fold, there will be college requirements for jobs that are considered blue collar presently.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The only reason some people go to school is because they keep getting gov't money. They will never graduate and they will never repay a dime.
I once heard a student complaining to a professor that he(the prof) should pass him(the student) because he(the student)is paying for the class himself.

Somehow he got the impression that the school was flunking out dummies who were there on government money merely because they were on public assistance and not because they were stupid.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
As you yourself managed to point out ... they're kids.

Lighten up man. Some kids at 18-22 are really immature. They will gain wisdom and maturity as they move forward. You're lucky if you're one of the mature ones at that age.
I believe the problem is that these kids are going to compete for jobs with an international work force. Kids who know what poverty is like and are deadly serious and facing stiff competition are vying for positions. We all must have heard that some Japanese young people actually commit suicide if they do not get into the right schools.

We, in the West, tolerate sloppy standards in our young. I don't think we will have the luxury of doing so for much longer.

This is somewhat related. Oprah started her school in Africa and not the US because those poor kids are desperate for an education and really appreciate it, whereas when Oprah asked American kids what their biggest desire was, it was for a pair of Nikes.

Reality can teach some very harsh lessons and that empty desire for Nikes is indicative of what may very well bring this nation down.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I agree with President Obama. Everyone should attend college. Not everyone can major in a non technical subject, such as English Literature, Philosophy, or other reading and writing intensive subjects.

For some, business, human resource management, laboratory technology or accounting might be enough to earn them a living wage. For others, an associate degree could be enough. However, a High School diploma will not cut it.

Remember these are eighteen year olds. They are kids. They may be naive, but I give them an "A" for at least trying to better themselves.
I tend to agree with you. THere was a time in which not everyone, especially in farming communities, finished grammar school. THen, as time progressed, people needed a high school diploma. Now, for entry into most fields you require a four year diploma from college.

On the other hand, I don't think that they should be lowering standards in college. People who demonstrate a lack of the fundamentals that they should have learned in high school should be sent to remedial schools of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities