Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yeah, right. It also helps them maintain a 4.0 GPA/honors level and enter college at higher levels of aptitude in math and sciences than the American kids.
That has not been my experience with foreign students both at the high school and college level...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
BS I go to one of the aforementioned. Look at the list of 2012 Rhodes Scholars. There are 1000s of Universities in America. Only 4 schools are represented on this list.

If you want an elite job in banking, consulting, law you must attend an elite school...no discussion. fullstop...unless your dad is a c-level officer in the firm in question.

However, there are Yale grads that don't appear to have their stuff together but it's lower percentage than people who went to Kent state.

What gets me, as I apply for internships this summer, is that some companies are only considering the top 50 and even 25% of the class...I headr before the recession these hurdles did not exist.

So, for the .00001% of all students that want to work at an elite banking firm on Wall Street, yes, going to Harvard or Yale will give you a leg up. For the rest of the world, it just does not matter where you go to school, but what you do IN school. Internships have always been highly competitive and even before the recession if you were a slug in college you were not getting an internship.

As for the Rhode's Scholarships, who cares. It's a scholarship to study at Oxford and quite frankly, not many people really want to do that across the country. Now, I didn't go to an Ivy but I count 17 different colleges on the 2013 Rhodes list.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
I support foreign students in colleges but not at over 50% of the student body when Americans are turned down and not able to go to college.
But you are missing the point - they are not pushing the Americans out. The college cannot afford to take people who can't pay. It's get paying students or go out of business (or start making major cuts to jobs, facilities, services, etc.). If paying students are not getting in, then that's because they just aren't good enough students.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM

131 posts, read 281,992 times
Diversity is a good thing....don't forget that this is the U.S.A.....The world's melting pot. 120 years ago, a person of Western/Southern European descent had a hard time getting a fair shake. As late as the 1960's African Americans were denied higher education opportunities because of their race. The parents are paying so why not let the kids go there if they're qualified. Anyone who can afford a higher education should have every opportunity available afforded to them regardless of what country them or their parents were born. God Bless the U.S.A. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
You are very naive my friend. China is a country of 1.4 billion people. Of those I assume that there are millions of students each year that could major in math at Caltech with a A- GPA. Asians value education much more so than we do.
That was my point...they don't need to cheat to get into an American college as much as you insinuate, despite your isolated anecdotal evidence.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
My son returned to his small liberal arts college this fall and was shocked when he looked around campus. It seemed like over half of the Freshman class was now international students. The leaders of the college are quite proud of this and say they are going to promote the college to international students and increase the diversity of the student body.

My son says while it can be interesting to have SOME students from overseas he wonders where to draw the line. What is a logical percentage of students to have from overseas? 40%, 50%, 70%?

The problem with the foreign students is they have balkanized the student body. Most of the international students are from either Korea, India or China and each group of these students just divide up into their own groups and have nothing to do with people from the other countries. He reports that the American students try hard to be inclusive and welcome and befriend the foreign students but rarely do they react in kind. And the Korean, Chinese or Indian students are openly hostile to each other and only socialize with students from their own country.

The second problem with all the foreign students is that with each person the college lets in from lets say China, an American born student who works hard, gets a great ACT/SAT score and dreams about going to that college all his life is shut out.

I agree, American colleges should let in foreign students for a variety of reasons but how much is to much? Lets debate!
According to this article 10 Universities With the Most International Students - US News and World Report The college with the HIGHEST percent of international students has 25% and that's one school.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That was my point...they don't need to cheat to get into an American college as much as you insinuate, despite your isolated anecdotal evidence.
Huh? There is a booming business in China with Ivy League application assistance. It costs about 50k a pop. The Chinese kid in my comp sci used one.

Did you see my link about the Chinese kid's parents who got swindled out of 2.1 million for a place at a top school?

Do all Chinese students cheat? No, but they will if they have to. If they had a shot at going to an elite school they would kill for it. They don't value honesty in their country they was the West does. You must lie and cheat to get ahead.

Sorry that this offends your since of propriety.

Chinese care more about the prestige of the University than Americans do...it's a gucci materialistic godless place.

No, to go to Marquette or whatever they don't have to cheat to get in...just pay $$$$$$

Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
Diversity is a good thing....don't forget that this is the U.S.A.....The world's melting pot. 120 years ago, a person of Western/Southern European descent had a hard time getting a fair shake. As late as the 1960's African Americans were denied higher education opportunities because of their race. The parents are paying so why not let the kids go there if they're qualified. Anyone who can afford a higher education should have every opportunity available afforded to them regardless of what country them or their parents were born. God Bless the U.S.A. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
the question is if american students are being denied matriculation on accord of foreign students. we built it and should be able to enjoy it.

that being said, the argument is a false choice. it's not a zero sum game. Likely every foreign student enables 2 or 3 american students to attend by subsidizing their education.

so foreign students should be allowed to continue as along as they pay...maybe we will learn something from them

Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
This may be one of the few services that we can export to the rest of the world--higher education.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,209 times
Quote:

Chinese care more about the prestige of the University than Americans do...it's a gucci materialistic godless place.

No, to go to Marquette or whatever they don't have to cheat to get in...just pay $$$$$$

Right, sure! They cheat to get into American universities, yet they are still beating the American kids on average academically.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:23 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Huh? There is a booming business in China with Ivy League application assistance. It costs about 50k a pop. The Chinese kid in my comp sci used one.

Did you see my link about the Chinese kid's parents who got swindled out of 2.1 million for a place at a top school?

Do all Chinese students cheat? No, but they will if they have to. If they had a shot at going to an elite school they would kill for it. They don't value honesty in their country they was the West does. You must lie and cheat to get ahead.

Sorry that this offends your since of propriety.

It doesn't offend my sense of propriety, just your sweeping generalizations and apparent envy with the Chinese population in general. It's probably best to get over it and move on.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-24-2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities