Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,424,821 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP, the more expensive school is not worth it unless it has the statistics to back it up. Check various ranking sources to see which school is ranked higher institutionally and in your major of interest. I've had plenty of people assume that a local private school was great just because it was private, but the statistics and rankings did not back them up. I was just talking to someone who thought this private school had a good program when it was actually one of the lowest ranked in the state. This is a field where school ranking determines whether or not you're going to be unemployed because the field is already oversaturated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM

75 posts, read 149,430 times
My personal problem with State schools is that the classes are often led by a TA (Teaching Assistant who is pursuing their Phd.) rather than a Phd. Professor. This is not true of all State schools, but worth investigating.

Cost, living costs all figure in. But, it depends on the field or industry you plan to enter. And if you have your goals set on one or two particular companies, it would be worth investigating their hiring practices. I worked at one famous multinational consumer products company, that only recruited from specific schools. None of these schools were Ivy League, nor were they located on the East Coast either.

So add into consideration your career goals and the companies or institutions you want to work for.

The OP has not provided their major, so it is hard to give solid advice.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,926,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspicaciousE View Post
My personal problem with State schools is that the classes are often led by a TA (Teaching Assistant who is pursuing their Phd.) rather than a Phd. Professor. This is not true of all State schools, but worth investigating.

Cost, living costs all figure in. But, it depends on the field or industry you plan to enter. And if you have your goals set on one or two particular companies, it would be worth investigating their hiring practices. I worked at one famous multinational consumer products company, that only recruited from specific schools. None of these schools were Ivy League, nor were they located on the East Coast either.

So add into consideration your career goals and the companies or institutions you want to work for.

The OP has not provided their major, so it is hard to give solid advice.
I went to a state school, and of all the classes I took, only 5 or so were huge, 50+ person lectures, of which perhaps one was led by a TA.

But even disregarding that, I'd take a "good but impersonal" school over an "intimate but crappy" one any day.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,118,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Let's try to keep further discussion about the OP's concerns,
We are discussing the OP's question at length and merit aid is very much a part of the final costs of these institutions.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,926,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
We are discussing the OP's question at length and merit aid is very much a part of the final costs of these institutions.
Regardless of how things would "probably" work out, I think we can all agree that it's important to apply broadly, given that even for top students, scholarship awards can be very unpredictable. You never know when and where a champion chess player, competitive-ranked swimmer, accomplished violinist, etc. will be perceived as "needed."

Old 11-28-2012, 02:42 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,387,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Something has peeked my curiosity of late. I am currently back in school to obtain a career in a more lucrative industry. I have started at the local community college to obtain some of the prerequisites before deciding if I want to go on to pursue my bachelors degree at a four year institution.

In my immediate area we have several private schools that have excellent programs. However, no one outside of a 100 mile radius has probably ever heard of these schools. However they typically cost in the ballpark of $20-30k per year. Conversely, I could decide to attend a middle of the road state college that a good percentage of people around the country have heard of for about $10-15k per year. What would you choose?

I guess my big worry is that if I decide to relocate after finally obtaining my degree, I might be passed over because no one had ever heard of my school, despite it costing me $30,000 a year to attend.

What is your opinion on local private schools that cost an arm and a leg, yet no one has ever heard of versus a state institution that carries some name recognition?
The OP is NOT asking about merit aid. He will most likely be an adult transfer student.

Yes, it's interesting to talk about our kids and how their merit aid worked out/didn't work out but that's of no help to the OP.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM

75 posts, read 149,430 times
I think they still qualify for Pell Grants etc. And if they ate 24 or older they qualify for more aid.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,016,315 times
The school might have restrictions on the types and amount of Financial Aid one can receive.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,387,446 times
In general, transfer students are not eligible for as much financial aid as freshman. While schools certainly want to make up for some attrition rate, most don't actively campaign for transfers or offer aid to lure them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,118,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
In general, transfer students are not eligible for as much financial aid as freshman. While schools certainly want to make up for some attrition rate, most don't actively campaign for transfers or offer aid to lure them.
But they are eligible for merit aid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities