U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM

804 posts, read 1,309,902 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of a political science professor who clearly endorses his own political views on his students (it helps that 99% of the class agrees with him)? Currently, I'm taking an intro political science course and our current unit is present-day America. My professor has assigned a bunch of readings written by himself and a book about Frances Fox Piven. My professor is extremely intelligent, knowledgeable, and credible, but all of the readings denounce the Tea Party and Republicans, and endorse clear-cut liberal ideas. Piven actually came to our lecture yesterday and said that 'we" were all relieved that the "crazies" did not win in the election. I'm just concerned because I'm starting to believe everything I have just started to read. They are basically radically changing my political position. So two questions.. One- Is this common for professors to push their own views and two, I'm not being brain-washed, correct? All along, I kind of think I was ignorant to support such antiquated beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM

20,599 posts, read 22,776,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
What do you guys think of a political science professor who clearly endorses his own political views on his students (it helps that 99% of the class agrees with him)? Currently, I'm taking an intro political science course and our current unit is present-day America. My professor has assigned a bunch of readings written by himself and a book about Frances Fox Piven. My professor is extremely intelligent, knowledgeable, and credible, but all of the readings denounce the Tea Party and Republicans, and endorse clear-cut liberal ideas. Piven actually came to our lecture yesterday and said that 'we" were all relieved that the "crazies" did not win in the election. I'm just concerned because I'm starting to believe everything I have just started to read. They are basically radically changing my political position. So two questions.. One- Is this common for professors to push their own views and two, I'm not being brain-washed, correct? All along, I kind of think I was ignorant to support such antiquated beliefs.
Sounds like a great person. Seems he know what he is talking about.

Is this a feshman class?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM

3,681 posts, read 3,266,964 times
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

...good luck thinking for yourself and potentially changing your own opinions while at the same time daring to question the opinions of powerful Academia, my son.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:34 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,603,135 times
Yes, this is very common for poli sci professors to push their own views. Professors in all disciplines do this, but normally their disciplines are not political.

The hard part is that you cannot tell immediately which professors push their own views and respect opposing views and which push their own views and dismiss opposing views. The most ardent supporters of one-sided presentation can be extremely either of those.

If this is a large lecture class, then you will be insulated by the TA anyway from a grade perspective.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
First, you don't have to be Liberal to denounce the Tea Party. Somehow, before I even got nearly that far, I just knew this was going to be an attack on a so-called liberal.

Second, the objective of the professor is to teach (or at least encourage) the students to think for themselves, and how can he do this if he is hogtied to prohibit him from thinking for himself?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,477,800 times
The fact that you're wondering about whether or not you're being brainwashed indicates that you are probably NOT being brainwashed.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,001,641 times
Most college professors are hardcore leftist. Just because they're a professor doesn't mean they're right. When such a professor teaches a poli/sci class so one sided you can be sure his judgement on the subject will be forever clouded by his locked in stone political leanings. He should be able to play "devil's advocate" or try to get his students to see things from the other side of the politics spectrum, minus his obvious hatred. He should also stop trying to increase his bank account by forcing his students to buy his garbage books to use as a lesson plan. Most people who say such things about the tea party movement (including some posters here) know absolutely nothing about the people except for what they saw on network news or Jon Stewart. It was a grass roots movement of people who've had enough of the federal government wanting more and more tax money only to see them wastefully spend the nation into a debt so big that we're practically owned by China. The established RNC & DNC both oppose the tea party movement because they don't want to change the status quo of Washington DC politics. There was a time when the states had as much, if not more, power as the federal government. The founding fathers set it up this way because they realized the danger of having a large powerful centralized government could lead to the abuse of power we're seeing today. They also set up the electoral college to help protect the nation from anarchy as well as to prevent a few major metropolitan areas from deciding our US President. By setting up the electoral college, rural areas had just as much influence on the presidential election as large urban areas. What the nation needs is to go back to the Constitution for the duties and responsibilities of the Federal government and the three branches of government. Any duties and responsibilities not listed in the constitution falls to the individual states or "Amend the Constitution". What the US Congress needs is a balanced approach and politicions willing to put country ahead of party. At one time, calling a politician a "Party Man" was considered a grave insult. Today's politicians consider it a compliment. What Congress needs to do is first cut federal spending. They can start by not adding pork (things not directly related to the original intent of a bill). Next, they can look at each federal agency and look for redundancy. There are agencies whose job responsibilities overlap. Cut out what overlaps. We could cut our Marion's military spending without sacrificing the lives of our troops nor national security by ordering all foreign deployed troops back to USA and closing our foreign bases. Redeploy those troops and ships to our southern border to augment the Border Patrol and prevent the violence of Mexico from crossing into our nation (from drug gangs and their employees in the Mexican police and military). Use Army Rangers and other special forces to eliminate Mexican drug gangs from our national parks.

What you should do is 1. Regurgitate his lesson back to him on his test or term paper while 2. You do your own research on the opposing view points so you can do what this closed minded idiot can't do, try to see both sides of the issue impartially. Don't bother to try to debate him. This type of "professor" doesn't want contradiction to his views from students. He's already decided he knows all there is to know and has closed the door to new thoughts.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,001,641 times
Look on the bright side, at least you don't have a professor who hates America so much he openly called for the death of millions of American troops like a certain Columbia professor.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM

1,058 posts, read 944,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Most people who say such things about the tea party movement (including some posters here) know absolutely nothing about the people except for what they saw on network news or Jon Stewart. It was a grass roots movement of people who've had enough of the federal government wanting more and more tax money only to see them wastefully spend the nation into a debt so big that we're practically owned by China. The established RNC & DNC both oppose the tea party movement because they don't want to change the status quo of Washington DC politics. There was a time when the states had as much, if not more, power as the federal government.
Yup, when I think grassroots, I think big ass buses.

All that being said I think it is a crock when a professor isn't neutral. The best professors I had were the ones where I had no idea who they voted for or what their true beliefs were. This forced me to think for myself rather than just accept what they say.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,433,288 times
I had a prof like that my first semester of freshman year. He had just moved from UC Berkeley and wanted to show us southerners just how liberal he could be. Even bragged about bringing in a speaker from NAMBLA there. The difference was, he was teaching English composition not poli sci. My poli sci prof was one of those where you never really knew where he stood. He taught using the Socratic method, and it was actually an enlightening class.

Hopefully your prof is more interested in getting you to think than "what" you think. I got an A in the aforementioned English class not by going along with what the prof said, but by showing my thought process in my writing.

If you're changing your beliefs about certain things because the class has you thinking, then that is not brain washing, just what is supposed to happen when you get an education. Brain washing is just the opposite - you start to parrot back others' thoughts instead of thinking for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities