Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these American universities has the best national brand recognition? Post a Poll
Boise State University 3 3.26%
East Carolina University 1 1.09%
San Diego State University 4 4.35%
Southern Methodist University 7 7.61%
Tulane University 20 21.74%
United States Naval Academy 55 59.78%
University of Central Florida 0 0%
University of Houston 2 2.17%
University of Memphis 0 0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianreading View Post
I've posed this question in athletics communities, and I think the answers have been far too skewed toward thinking about college football rather than overall brand recognition. In case you aren't up on the college athletics world, there have been massive shifts in conference affiliation lately, and a large mish-mash of universities have ended up in a single conference known as the Big East Conference.

I find this interesting, not only because my alma mater is one of those universities, but because for some people, athletics are the front porch for a university, and who a university is considered competitively on-par with, even athletically, can contribute to an image for a university.

So tell me what you think. Which of these American universities that I've listed have the most national brand recognition?
Tulane then the Naval Academy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I have not heard of many of them. Tulane becasue of John Grisham novels. SMU is have heard of but I cannot rememebr if I heard good or bad. Naval Academy all I know is it is the equivalent of West Point for the Navy. San Diego State becasue I lived in Southern California for a while and have several freinds who went to SDSU and because they pop up in football once in a while.

Frankly I would say none of them have any brand recognition since I cannot say in hearing the name whether any of them are considered good schools.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
These are all over the map. I was tempted to say the US Naval Academy, but it is not a comprehensive university. However, Tulane is and says "Southern Ivy," often considered to be similar to Vandy, Emory, and Duke.

SMU is Dallas's version of LA's USC, though I think USC is better. Some of these are a joke: Boise State, East Carolina, and even San Diego State.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 12-03-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
I have heard of all of them because of college basketball.

But the only one that has any academic reputation (at least to me) is Navy.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:30 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Tulane is a top50 university. None of the other colleges on the list are even ranked.

I wouldn't want to do anything related to the Navy.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
For the most part nationally, colleges get recognition because of their football, basketball or hockey teams. You can't really separate the two. Academically, brand recognition only goes so far. Here, a degree from Harvard or MIT would be a negative for a lot of companies--why, they wouldn't trust that you were going to stick around for the long haul unless you grew up in the area. Doesn't mean they aren't good schools, obviously, just that employers aren't impressed by them as much as their grads tend to think

As for your list, USNA.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Berekely is not on the list that we are voting on.
I was referring to his comment that it does NOT enjoy national recognition
not that it is on or not on the list.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
For the most part nationally, colleges get recognition because of their football, basketball or hockey teams. You can't really separate the two. Academically, brand recognition only goes so far. Here, a degree from Harvard or MIT would be a negative for a lot of companies--why, they wouldn't trust that you were going to stick around for the long haul unless you grew up in the area. Doesn't mean they aren't good schools, obviously, just that employers aren't impressed by them as much as their grads tend to think

As for your list, USNA.
The people who aren't impressed by a Harvard degree to me, have no idea of how hard it is to get in there. Valedictorian and 99% SAT scores probably won't cut it. You need more.

I agree that college reputation is sometimes overblown, but not for that school. Or for really MIT either.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,156 times
Usna
smu

Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
East Carolina??? The only regular university - non military - that is really national is Tulane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities